all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed OS: Super Simple Strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I tried to Google this but all I found was a long form sales letter.
This one here, perhaps.
Geoff makes - I assume - a living from his programs and has a family to feed.
I wouldn't expect him to give his hard-won expertise away for free.

Personally I have some lingering discomfort in my left knee from an old injury.
I plan to pay for this product at some point and see if it helps.
The price is very reasonable, so even if it doesn't work in my case it's no big deal.
You try something, you assess the results, you succeed - or you shrug and move on.

Dan

This one here, perhaps.
Geoff makes - I assume - a living from his programs and has a family to feed.
I wouldn't expect him to give his hard-won expertise away for free.

Personally I have some lingering discomfort in my left knee from an old injury.
I plan to pay for this product at some point and see if it helps.
The price is very reasonable, so even if it doesn't work in my case it's no big deal.
You try something, you assess the results, you succeed - or you shrug and move on.

Dan
I was, perhaps, a little salty in my answer.

I am torn though, I come to this forum to share my experience and knowledge freely, to try and help others where I can, and learn / be helped at the same time.

In my view, a forum should be a place for dialogue and a free exchange of ideas.

I guess the 'this is the thing that healed me, go find it, oh btw it's $130 dollars' got my back up.

I'm sure the program's good. And I'm sure he's a straight up guy. It just felt like someone trying to sell me insurance at a family gathering.

Just my 2cents. And you can have that for free.

I appreciate the gracious response. Personally I'm not too keen on the "long page full of different fonts and colors" marketing style he has chosen either (DD seems to have a similar approach?) but I guess he's going with what he finds works for him. And the 7-day free offer seems genuine.

Of course, if I ever get the protocol, I'll review it here (mods allowing).
Heaven knows, knee health is something that most people with a history of exercise are interested in.

Dan

Last edited:

I am torn though, I come to this forum to share my experience and knowledge freely, to try and help others where I can, and learn / be helped at the same time.

In my view, a forum should be a place for dialogue and a free exchange of ideas.

I guess the 'this is the thing that healed me, go find it, oh btw it's $130 dollars' got my back up.

I'm sure the program's good. And I'm sure he's a straight up guy. It just felt like someone trying to sell me insurance at a family gathering.

Just my 2cents. And you can have that for free.
My apologies if you construed it that way, I was just answering your question.

If I wanted to "sell you," I'd have hyperlinked to the product itself, and saved us both some time.

My apologies if you construed it that way, I was just answering your question.

If I wanted to "sell you," I'd have hyperlinked to the product itself, and saved us both some time.
I should apologise.
I was having a bad day, please forgive me. I have heard a lot of good things about your programs, and am sure this one is of quality.
Hope you are well, all the best.

High volume (100-400+ yards), heavy load (+200lbs of chain/ uphill ), high frequency (6x week) of crawling. :)
I listened your discussion with Aleks Salkin for the second time today. The theme was +40yrs and getting stronger. I'm Russian man so i don't writebthat i loved it instead: it very good discussion. Sorry for the thread hijack. Please do more of those if you have time.

Am enjoying the focus on carrying and crawling so far, seem very hard to do “wrong” and feels like I’m working my full body effectively with just these movements. (Although I still have the extra push/pull/squat/hinges in there too).

I love the simple auto-regulated progression of taking as few rests as possible in the 10 mins while nasal breathing (rest whenever the mouth opens). And eventually hope to see this lead to me being able to crawl 10 minutes straight!

Found this program on the Original Strength blog while researching crawling programming (know some here are interested so figured I’d share!)
  • Pick a superset with two of: Push, Pull, Squat, Hinge.
  • Do this superset for 10 mins, nasal breathing only, resting as necessary.
  • Crawl or carry for 10 mins, nasal breathing only, resting as necessary.
  • Aim to take fewer breaks until you are working the entire 10 mins for each.
Something about this speaks to me! I’ll be doing something pretty similar going forward.

Anyone ran something like this before?
oh thanks
have not much knowledge on crawling so searching something to learn more on it

Am enjoying the focus on carrying and crawling so far, seem very hard to do “wrong” and feels like I’m working my full body effectively with just these movements. (Although I still have the extra push/pull/squat/hinges in there too).

I love the simple auto-regulated progression of taking as few rests as possible in the 10 mins while nasal breathing (rest whenever the mouth opens). And eventually hope to see this lead to me being able to crawl 10 minutes straight!
When you do your push/pull/squat/hinge duo, do you also strive for continuous work, picking easier movement variations and sub-maximal reps, or do you have longer, strength training -esque rest periods?

On a side note, in the article Tim Anderson also lists the get-up as one movement type. Based on the article, he also does the get-up as a solo movement instead of pairing it up with another one.

When you do your push/pull/squat/hinge duo, do you also strive for continuous work, picking easier movement variations and sub-maximal reps, or do you have longer, strength training -esque rest periods?

On a side note, in the article Tim Anderson also lists the get-up as one movement type. Based on the article, he also does the get-up as a solo movement instead of pairing it up with another one.
No I don’t do the 10 minutes of continuous movement at the moment, I’m just doing EMOM (so 5 ‘hard’ sets of each exercise, nasal breathing only).

I think I’ll try and progress to that point though just to see what it’s like. Might continue the EMOM style but eventually get to: 1 min of Hindu push ups, 1 min of Hindu squats - repeat 5 times.

And yeah, I think he likes get ups as another full body movement so no need to superset with anything that day.

@SUOMI-PUKU 2 weeks (eller två veckor, om du förstår svenska;) ) since your last post in this thread. Hows training going? Crawling, carrying?

Im on Mark Laurens Strong and Lean program, but after that I might give this a shot!
The carrying I found I was getting enough of through carrying my baby around. The extra carries made my traps pretty tense and posture worse, so I just cut them.

Crawling is going well so far! I’m only around 1 minute at a time so far but big progress from when I started out still. More emphasis on OS and now a bit on lacrosse ball massage is helping me feel great day to day too.

I must admit I’ve slacked on the extra compound movements though. I’ve basically only had time to do OS resets + 5 min of crawling each day. Must get more disciplined to keep the extra movements!

Hello @Geoff Neupert

Here, you mentioned that you unlock both pistols and oap using crawling: Other/Mixed - OS: Super Simple Strength

Crawling is some sort of "high volume", assuming the number of steps one does.

So my question is: assuming it drastically help you pressing strength and squatting strength, how would you compare high volume crawling with high volume calisthenics (push ups, squats / lunge, core) in terms of possible strength / endurance gains ? Do you think this kind of strategy can be worth doing ?

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @Geoff Neupert

Here, you mentioned that you unlock both pistols and oap using crawling: Other/Mixed - OS: Super Simple Strength

Crawling is some sort of "high volume", assuming the number of steps one does.

So my question is: assuming it drastically help you pressing strength and squatting strength, how would you compare high volume crawling with high volume calisthenics (push ups, squats / lunge, core) in terms of possible strength / endurance gains ? Do you think this kind of strategy can be worth doing ?

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Yes, it was VERY high volume crawling - 100-400 yards per day, 6 days per week, usually dragging 100-200lbs of chain.

I think high volume cals can work, assuming you program them correctly, and you have the underlying motor control ("reflexive stability" to use OS terminology) to support them.

Have I ever used a high volume cals program as a standalone?

No. I used a medium-high volume, anterior chain dominant cals program, for about 18 months as an adjunct to a high volume crawling program. In other works, the crawling was the priority and done first, then the cals followed.

Hope this helps.

Hello @Geoff Neupert

Thanks, yes it helps.

I usually recover well from high volume cals but not necessarily programme them. I tend to do some kind of 'prison training', meaning I work everyday all the patterns (push pull squat hinge core) with basic moves. Nonetheless, I vary the stance or placement to avoid injury

How would you pair it with crawling ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' my two cents:

When I prioritize crawling, I have less energy for other strength training. When I prioritize the other strength training, the crawling volume drops. Currently I am trying to figure out how to simultaneously bring up both by doing everything "Easy Strength style." I just do it to an amount at which I still feel fresh. Alternating days of higher volume crawls/lower volume calisthenics and weight with days of lower volume crawls/higher volume calisthenics and weights seems to work alright too.

As with combining anything, I think that cycling goals is still probably the best way forward.

Back
Top Bottom