all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed OS: Super Simple Strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
So I went ahead and asked the author of the "reflexive vs. cognitive tension" article a few questions regarding the ratio between reflexive and cognitive tension practice, and waking up sleepy parts in the chain. Got some very thorough and interesting answers. You can view the questions and answers in the article comments: Reflexive Tension or Cognitive Tension? | Original Strength. I don't post them here because I don't know if that's allowed in the forum nor if the author would approve.

So I went ahead and asked the author of the "reflexive vs. cognitive tension" article a few questions regarding the ratio between reflexive and cognitive tension practice, and waking up sleepy parts in the chain. Got some very thorough and interesting answers. You can view the questions and answers in the article comments: Reflexive Tension or Cognitive Tension? | Original Strength. I don't post them here because I don't know if that's allowed in the forum nor if the author would approve.

Whoa, that's fantastic! I always assume articles are years old and any comments will go unnoticed lol

Okay, so this week has been an interesting one for me. I think I've finally found the missing piece in stabilizing my scapula and can switch phases from repairing my body to actually training for strength and hypertrophy. I did an experimental bodyweight workout with heavy movements and found that as long as I kept my hips and shoulders rotated into place the correct musculature would do the work without me needing to cognitively control the tension.

So for the next few months I'm going to do Simplefit.org on Fri/Sun/Tues (with heavy movements; reflexive, relaxed breathing, no tension) and Simple and Sinister on Sat/Mon (high-tension techniques, power breathing).

I'm going to keep doing Original strength resets, hanging and crawling in the mornings because I think this is a huge part of getting my body to work properly again. The other part was a shoulder packing drill that changed everything.

I'll see how my body handles this work load and the two different training styles. I'm hoping I can get the best of all worlds. In a couple of months, if I've progressed on swings and get-up volume to where I want to be, I'll reduce my workouts to only 3 days a week, but alternate calisthenics days with kettlebell days so I can continue training both reflexively and with high-tension techniques.

This thread has been a huge help to me!

@3letterslong sounds awesome, I am happy for you! Would you care to share the shoulder packing drill? I know of one that’s included in the SF bodyweight course, but interested in others too.

@3letterslong sounds awesome, I am happy for you! Would you care to share the shoulder packing drill? I know of one that’s included in the SF bodyweight course, but interested in others too.

This video:

From this article:

I've done shoulder packing drills with a band before (and from a dead hang, and while pressing) and I've done the Y move before, but I've never done the Y move with tightly packed shoulders. I can't even do them off the ground: I've been doing them facing the wall. And from the first moment I did them, my back lit up and activated like I've never felt before. I'm now treating this like an OS reset with daily practice and my ability to hold a packed shoulder during all my movements has drastically skyrocketed. I bet you I'm not even doing this right because I don't understand half of what he's saying lol

@3letterslong have you tried the RRL this way? This is how it was taught to me. In this position you aren't forced into end range shoulder flexion by being flat on your stomach and may be able to access the muscles you need a little more easily. It also allows you to round your upper back, which should facillitate scapular rotation.

Is he packing his shoulders or just externally rotating? If I pack my shoulders and do it against the wall, i can feel it lighting up my back. If I do it on the floor, and even if I'm packing, I only feel it in my low traps (so it might be too heavy for me?). If I don't pack and only externally rotate, I only feel it in the low traps. When I was doing Y drills at physio, I would only feel it in my low traps; packing the shoulders seems to be what makes it magic for me, so I might be doing the drill wrong, but in a way that is really beneficial to me. Fixing my body has always been frustrating.

At any rate, if I do it against the wall it feels like it activates a lot. I'll alternate it with the Y. Thanks for sharing!

Is he packing his shoulders or just externally rotating? If I pack my shoulders and do it against the wall, i can feel it lighting up my back. If I do it on the floor, and even if I'm packing, I only feel it in my low traps (so it might be too heavy for me?). If I don't pack and only externally rotate, I only feel it in the low traps. When I was doing Y drills at physio, I would only feel it in my low traps; packing the shoulders seems to be what makes it magic for me, so I might be doing the drill wrong, but in a way that is really beneficial to me. Fixing my body has always been frustrating.

At any rate, if I do it against the wall it feels like it activates a lot. I'll alternate it with the Y. Thanks for sharing!
As I'm sure you are finding out, it will likely take som experimentation to find what works best for you. Once you find something that works, you will know it. If you feel it mostly in one place, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the only area working. It likely means that's the area you are waking back up. I think the brain is more sensitive to unfamiliar sensations, and "sleepy" muscles produce those.

I don't think the guy demonstrating is "packing." I think we had a discussion about this somewhere on the forum recently, but I don't like the term "packing." The scapula has to rotate, and I think that the word "packing" is kind of used as a semantic trick to acheive that goal. I think the word is confusing in its connotations, though. If you think it works for you though, keep using it.

In the video I posted, you want to slide the palm along the floor to facillitate the scap rotating around the ribs via serratus and some lower trap. Once you slide out as far as you can without compensations, externally rotate the hand (palm up) and lift. The key is to try and keep your neck out of it. It takes some practice. Just let your arm sort of "relax and press into the floor" until it's time to lift it off, almost like you're washing the floor with a rag.

If you're doing the same kind of movement standing, facing a wall: slide your palm upwards along the wall in front of you as high as you can without compensations (keeping neck relaxed and letting my upper traps stay as relaxed as possible works for me), then lift away. Once again, the "washing with a rag" cue helps me a lot. Or maybe literally hold a bath towel (it has to have a little bit of weight) against the wall and slide it up the wall to get a feel for it. Keep the face, neck, and upper shoulder relaxed throughout.

Sometimes playing with different angles will help you to find the sweet spot. It might be standing, bent at 45 degrees, laying on your stomach.... You don't want it to feel next to impossible, but you do want it to be a little bit of work. I emphasize the "little;" I think this stuff has to be approached more as a movement practice than strength training.

Anyway, without taking the thread on a tangent too far away from OS, I am more than happy to talk about this stuff in a dedicated thread.

If you feel it mostly in one place, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the only area working. It likely means that's the area you are waking back up. I think the brain is more sensitive to unfamiliar sensations, and "sleepy" muscles produce those.
In my experience, what is 110% likely here is that my strong muscles are doing the work and my hibernating muscles just hit the snooze alarm. When I concentrate on packing as hard as i can before lifting my hands, it lights up my back in a way I've never felt before AND which made holding my scapula in place during push-ups much easier.

Anyways, like you, I don't want to derail the thread. I may start a thread on this in the near future and I'll be sure to @ you for your input!

I did my second simplefit workout today, practising belly breathing and relaxing as much as possible. It felt really good. My left shoulder packing gave me some trouble: today was speed day and I think I need to concentrate on technique over speed for now because when I slowed them down, form was good and everything was working.

I did S&S yesterday with the 1.5pd bell, concentrating on maximum tension in the plank and hinge positions. I ALWAYS feel DOMS in a narrow band of triceps the next day when I do high-tension swings! so weird lol

I'm really getting enthused for the possibility of training reflexive strength AND feed-forward tension at the same time!

omg so get this. I was going through my plan to do crawling and hanging in the AM with either simplefit or S&S in the evenings and was working out tweaks I could make to be more effective when I realized it was starting to look really familiar. I went to my book case and pulled out Tim Anderson's Habitual Strength and realized he had already designed the program I was fumbling with. So to simplify my life, this is what I'm going to do daily:

AM - skipping, hanging, crawling

PM - Habitual Strength

Tim already planned out how to train for both tension and reflexive strength, especially if I replace his walking single-leg deadlift with kettlebell swings.

So there we go. I plan to do it for a few months before I make any changes.

omg so get this. I was going through my plan to do crawling and hanging in the AM with either simplefit or S&S in the evenings and was working out tweaks I could make to be more effective when I realized it was starting to look really familiar. I went to my book case and pulled out Tim Anderson's Habitual Strength and realized he had already designed the program I was fumbling with. So to simplify my life, this is what I'm going to do daily:

AM - skipping, hanging, crawling

PM - Habitual Strength

Tim already planned out how to train for both tension and reflexive strength, especially if I replace his walking single-leg deadlift with kettlebell swings.

So there we go. I plan to do it for a few months before I make any changes.
Uh oh, I haven’t got the new book. I suppose I should get it! Does skipping mean rope skipping or the gait drill which kind of looks like explosive marching?

Uh oh, I haven’t got the new book. I suppose I should get it! Does skipping mean rope skipping or the gait drill which kind of looks like explosive marching?

Skipping rope! I still do it from when I boxed many, many years ago. If I go by Pavel's Workout Of The Decade concept, skipping rope would definitely be in there. Skipping, push-ups, rows, squats, swings, abs.

This talk of reflexive strength reminds me of some Nate Morrison articles I read years ago. Here are two that I had bookmarked:

The last one is especially interesting because I don't think he and Pavel still have any business connections, but the last one really predicts the direction Pavel took Strongfirst (in terms of shaking out tension and prioritizing relaxation outside of actually training with tension).

I wish I could get my hands on Nate's books, but the one ebook I was able to buy was badly formatted to the point that I couldn't even read parts of it on any device and had to get a refund.

Last edited:
I only have a very vague idea of what Systema entails, but the second article was great. Nate Morrison's thoughts really reflect where I have gone with my training. I like the emphasis on high tension techniques only for ~>80% of 1RM. His response to question #2, "always remember that you become what you do consistently. Period."

It reminds me a little of the "philosophy" behind things like Easy Strength, and Habitual Strength. Strength that can be expressed in your natural state, or without warmup, more or less at any time.

Reviving this thread as the OS Super Simple Strength program looks immensely intriguing. Anyone run this with non-bodyweight moves? Like KB press, DB Press, weighted pullups, KB SLDL, or Goblet squats etc?

Id like to switch to this type of schedule while learning more about the swing and TGU but want to keep lifting weights as I do all my BW work as extra throughout the day.

Also, I just finished a cycle of the 9 Minute Challenge by @AleksSalkin and loved it. I hope to do the 9MC in the morning and the OS in the evening. Seems like a lot of crawls/carries tho.

Reviving this thread as the OS Super Simple Strength program looks immensely intriguing. Anyone run this with non-bodyweight moves? Like KB press, DB Press, weighted pullups, KB SLDL, or Goblet squats etc?

Id like to switch to this type of schedule while learning more about the swing and TGU but want to keep lifting weights as I do all my BW work as extra throughout the day.

Also, I just finished a cycle of the 9 Minute Challenge by @AleksSalkin and loved it. I hope to do the 9MC in the morning and the OS in the evening. Seems like a lot of crawls/carries tho.

I've now got a month's experience with the 9 minute challenge in the mornings and Tim Anderson's Habitual Strength in the evenings (basically a one-lift-a-day program) and I absolutely love it. I'm going to keep doing the 9 minute challenge for a few more months because the results have been tremendous, but I'm struggling to figure out what to do in the evenings. I want to focus on weighted push-ups, weighted rows, weighted airborne lunges and KB swings, so the get-up / frontload carry days of Habitual strength need to be altered. And once I do that, I'm basically doing a different program.

So this is what I think I'm going to do:

AM (Aleks' daily schedule)

skipping (~10 mins)
9 minute challenge (~20 mins)

PM (alternating these workouts on MWF basis)

workout A (~30 mins)
Strongfirst Bodyweight course

workout B
stripped down, low volume version of workout A (~10 mins)
Tracy Reifkind's swing workout (~20 mins)

Today was my first day and I feel really good about this mixture.

Last edited:
You know, since this thread was started, i've been thinking a lot about daily hanging and daily handstands (unrelated to this thread). They've both been highly recommended for the fantastic effect they have on your body. However, I don't think my shoulders can handle handstands right now, so I've decided to do daily hanging and daily leopard crawls, trying to work up to 10 minutes of each.

I'm planning on doing it in two phases, switching to the harder exercises of phase 2 with phase 1 becomes easy.

Phase 1:

dead hangs with legs resting on ground

backwards leopard crawls

Phase 2

dead hangs

backwards leopard crawls up stairs

I plan to advance super slowly and see where I am in a year's time.

Like the approach, similar to my hang aproach fhat I have been doing gtg style for some time.

Just to let you know, my progression plan includes one arm hang in future instead of going 10 min w standard (I assume ypu are talking about daily volume)

Like the approach, similar to my hang aproach fhat I have been doing gtg style for some time.

Just to let you know, my progression plan includes one arm hang in future instead of going 10 min w standard (I assume ypu are talking about daily volume)

I've since switched to doing Aleks Salkins 9 minute challenge in the morning because it seems specially designed to get me to my goals. If you haven't checked out that thread, give it a look.

Yep, 10 minutes daily volume. I'm mainly aiming for ten minutes because that's supposed to be magical for shoulder rehabilitation, which are rewards I would like to reap. I'll move onto one-arm holds once i feel like my shoulders are in a good place. I've been seeing some nice stuff so far from a combo of hanging and OS, so I'm looking forward to seeing where I wind up.

Back
Top Bottom