all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pulled forearm from OAPU

Good day everyone,

One year ago, I started training with the Naked Warrior program. I learned the pistol squat in no time, but the OAPU caused me trouble.

I was only at an Elevated OAPU, my hands resting about the height of a standard dinner table. While I was learning that, in parallel with Tom Furman's Armor Of War training, I injured myself on the inside of the forearm, near the elbow. Its been now one year of recovery, and even though its better, I can't seem to get back to my initial strenght without some kind of uncomfort or pain.

To the describe the sensation when this happended the best I can, it was like if my forearm had so much pressure, that everytime that I did a OAPU, the pressure was too high and it caused echoing pain and weakness after the reps. It actually worsen my pull-ups and Deadlift. I couldn't do one without forearm pain. I had to restart to zero.

I've seen physiotherapist (physical therapist?) to give me exercices to strenghent my forearms. They gave wrist curls on both sides, stretches, and planks with two or one arm. I also did some biceps curls, farmers walk, dead hangs, wrist strenghtening.

Its been one year and now I can do more pullups than ever, can do deadlifts, but still can't do OAPU without pain, or uncomfort. Also, my forearm is still sensitive to rough pulls, pushes. If the pressure isntoo much, I will have weakness and pain for 2-3 days.

Does anyone had this kind of experience before? Does someone know any kind of exercice that I am missing that would help be get back my strenght and achieve OAPU? Should I contend myself to do just One arm wall pushups for awhile?

Any recommandations is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help,
Charles
Hi, I also caused myself an injury by trying to learn OAP without proper knowledge. I couldn't exercise for about 8 weeks. Maybe this article will be useful to you: Hang On! The Forgotten Anti-Gravity Exercise Everyone Should Start Doing | StrongFirst
It did help me a lot with my shoulder pain before and after the injury and I do the hangs +/- 2 times a day. Ivo

I see... It has seem to me to load when I uploaded it with the "Attach files" button, but I didn't know that. I uploaded it to youtube now. Heres the link :

Thanks for telling me.
I am not an expert however, I believe your elbows are flaring out. At least while I am working on push ups I try to keep my elbows as tucked in towards my body as possible, I feel this is safer and makes it easy to do the screw drive maneuver. I believe both help prevent elbow issues.

Best

Thanks a lot, Anna! Highly appreciated.

PS: I would add this one to the list of helpful articles on the topic:
Hi everyone, its been a while.
Just to check if anyone has evaluate my form from my video yet?

Also, I've watched some videos of Karen Smith explaining how to do a OAPU, and in most of her videos, she explains to corkscrew the shoulder. But, since english is not my first language, I'm not sure to understand what she means. I don't want to do the wrong technique. For an update, after watching her and keeping with a more solid rehab routine, I manage to do proper OAPU on something elevated about 3 feet off the ground for 3-5 reps. I'm happy i'm finally making progress.

Have a great day,
Charles
Hello Charles
I’d be happy to help, please email me at karensmithmsfg@gmail.con
Thanks
Karen Smith

Dear everyone,

Your responses have been incredibly helpful, and I red through all of them, and kept them in mind while training and adjusting. The result is that my technique is really getting better, and I'm also getting stronger. Thanks to all of you for your insightful and generous support. I shall repost when my injury will get even better!
Hello Charles
I’d be happy to help, please email me at karensmithmsfg@gmail.con
Thanks
Karen Smith
Hello Ms. Smith,
I will be contact you few days from now. Thank you for your oppeness/opportunity. Your videos have been of enormous help for understanding the OAPU.

Have a great day to all of you,
Charles

Back
Top Bottom