all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning - beach volleyball

Played well but kind of continued the parasympathetic feeling of yesterday. This causes some focus issues as I am too much "open". Gada swinging really carry over to my attack. Much more rhythmic and tied together. I had no idea how much rhythm deficiency I had... This also saves allot of head space and improves my timing.

Did some OH squats as movement prep before the BVB session

(Post) morning prep
PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training - 22 breath (standing in the water)
Noon - Civil duty
Went voting for the local council.

Noon - bouldering
Allot of people at the wall today. Played with some easy problems and set up the work for tomorrow.

Afternoon - bounce program
8 min gada swings @2.5kg ~110cm
360 to 10-2 mix x 2 x 1 min
Hand switch 10-2 x 2 x 1 min
360 x 4 x 1 min - on minutes 1 and 4 I mixed in OH360 by feel

Evening - beach volleyball session
Played well at the beginning, lost some focus later. Felt like a combination of the tiredness and the parasympatheticness. Remembered something I read about controlling arousal level and broke out of the parasympatheticness later by humming Grace Potter's The Divide... But still tired... looong day.

Notes
  • Hand switch 10-2: These feel much smoother on the tail end of 10-2 than after a 10-2+360 mix. Something about the timing. At least in the first minute.
  • OH360: Practicing these as part of the 360 section proved beneficial. Easier to learn the rhythm.
  • Humming: I should remember this as a non-violent way to shift to some more aroused state with narrower focus.
  • Food: Allot. Now. Than sleep. Allot

Morning prep - beach

PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training, standing in the water x 22 breaths
OS resets
OH squats x 5
OH hack squats x 5

Evening - Balance program - week 5
Prep

Lifting the sky
Some gada work
Micro Dynami
Long push press @20kg + 16kg x 2 x 3​
some club swings

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 2 x 2 , 2 x 1 - one double and one single each side

Morning prep

PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training x 24 breaths
Some gada work in the late morning

Noon - bouldering
Prep

Sine didn't do OS in the morning
BB armbar @16kg x 3 + 3
TGU with presses, SOS get down @16kg x 1 + 1

Session
Started climbing, than taught TGU and hanging to a girl who saw me practicing and asked if I can teach her some exercises. Than back to climbing interrupted by a long conversation on Structural Integration with one of the other climbers (he initiated it).

Afternoon session - balance program
Movement prep

OS resets
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Some club swings

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 2 x 2 , 2 x 1 , 2 x 2

Evening - beach volleyball
The qualification phase of a tournament we do in memory of a friend every year on his birthday. My partner lost steam quite early and I did not play well enough from the "lead position" to carry us through. Lost half way through the qualifiers.

Notes

• Modifying the volume of the balance program: Working the numbers after the triples week with the 28kg I saw that the McIlroy bench modification calls for 40-60-80-100 lifts/week and I did 40-80-120 lifts/week. I adjusted the volume by replacing the doubles of week 2 with alternating doubles and singles. Week 3 will be doubles. This will give me 40-62-80 lifts/week. After week 3 with the 32kg I'll decide what to do next.
  • Weight: A friend told me yesterday that my face looks thinner lately. I weighted myself this morning and saw 64.5kg on the scale. That is 1kg drop since ,my last weigh and probably the lowest in 20 years. Since I don't really have allot of fat to loose I started eating more this morning. My first aim is to go back to over 66kg. This wight drop combined (and probably caused) with the extra volume of recent weeks is more than a probable cause for the under-recovery-influenced-neck-thingy I had two weeks ago. Cutting the volume (see previous point) and adding food will probably take care of that.

I'm following your Gada swings with interest, I've heard they are great for the shoulders.

The gada swings require allot of shoulder-girdle movement all over its range. More importantly, it requires to do so fast with very accurate timing of movement, tension-relaxation and trunk-pelvic stabilization. Once one has the required mobility and basic stability the lessons learned will also be great for the shoulders (for me the fast switch to relaxation was a great lesson). If a person lack enough mobility and stability the speed, lever, and inherent inability to access the required tension-relaxation will, IMO, destroy his shoulders.

In your personal case, since you bent press and snatch regularly I am sure you clear the entry level mobility-stability requirements easily. When you feel like learning something new give it a try.

Writing the qualities that the gada swings use/need I think that my view of gada as a ballistic progression of halos was to much structurally based. While a ballistic halo is not a wrong way a more functional/quality based thinking might also lead the gada being a ballistic progression for the bent press and a cousin of the snatch

Morning prep

PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training x 21 breath

Noon - bounce program
Movement prep

OS resets
OH wall squats x 5
OH hack squats x 5

Practice
360 x 4 x 1 min
10-2 x 2 x 1 min
Hand switch 10-2 x 2 x 1 min​

Haven't ate enough throughout the day and felt very hungry so took a rest day from bent press.

Last edited:
@Shahaf Levin that's some great feed back, Gada is definitely next on my list. Ive been trying to get a similar effect by doing the halos in a gada 360 style, as near as you can with a kb. Even in this hashed style I've noticed my shoulder girdle feels more fluid. What gada weight would you suggest starting with?

Morning prep - beach

PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training x 21 breath, in the water
Afternoon - balance program
Movement prep

OS resets
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
NCC @16kg + 12kg x 2 x 2/1/3
Some club swings

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 2 x {2 x 2 , 2 x 1}

Evening - bounce program
10-2 x 2 x 1 min
10-2 to 360 x 2 x 1 min
360 + OH360 x 4 x 1 min - freestyle mix. Getting smoother, still more work to be done.
The one arm gada work (both hand switch 10-2 and OH360) put extra demands on timing the breath right. When the timing is right the gada kind of pull itself back to the front without any work on my part. This of course is true in two arm work as well, just more pronounced when only one arm pulls back. I probably noticed it more because of @Brett Jones's latest article.

@Shahaf Levin that's some great feed back, Gada is definitely next on my list. Ive been trying to get a similar effect by doing the halos in a gada 360 style, as near as you can with a kb. Even in this hashed style I've noticed my shoulder girdle feels more fluid. What gada weight would you suggest starting with?

I started with 2.5kg. I loaded my broomstick handle with 5kg and holding it felt allot to me, even with handle chocked around 60cm, so I took some plates of and stayed with 2.5kg. Paul Wolkowinski of https://www.indianclubs.com.au/gada-mace/ suggests the following:

Paul Wolkowinski said:
Choosing the weight of a gada mace really depends on your build, height and strength. A lighter framed person should use at 5 to 8kgs, medium frame 7 to 10kgs and large frame 10 to 12kgs. The length of the handle should be around 1 metre, if you add the gada mace head the total the full length would be 1.2 metres, or 46″ inches.
There are many variations on offer, if you are serious about learning to swing the gada mace, choose carefully and don’t buy something that is too heavy. Remember that you will be swinging a ball on the end of a pole for multiple repetitions.

If you'll be using a plate loaded handle you can start light (2-3kg), if you are investing in a fixed weight I would follow the quoted guidelines, err on the side of less. When I'll finish Paul's suggested routine before upping the weight I will build a fixed weight 5-7 kg gada.

This weight-on-a-stick thingy calls for alloooot of accuracy in one arm work. Not that I doubted physics, but levers do make difference :)

(late) Morning prep - beach

PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training x 23 breath
OS resets
Neck crawling sequence @sandbag x 2 series
Forward leopard crawling @sandbag x the way back

Prep

Some club swings

Practice
8 min gada swings @2.5kg
10-2 x 2 x 1 min
360 + OH360 x 4 x 1 min - freestyle mix

Main focus was timing the breath cycle.

Evening - balance program
Movement prep

Some head nods
Lifting the sky
Some club swings

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 2 x {2 x 2 , 2 x 1} , 2 x 2

Thanks for providing Paul Wolkowinski's site. I'll use this when I purchase a gada.
How has Gada practise benefited your BVB? I play cricket and can see it improving mobility in my shoulders especially when throwing.

Morning prep - beach

PHK
  • Lifting the sky, standing in the water
  • Stance training x 23 breath, standing in mad
OS resets
OH squats x 5
OH hack squats x 5

Noon - bouldering
BU carry @16kg prep. V0 123 ladder, V1/2 123 ladder, Allot of V3 work.

Evening - bounce program
3 series of 4 min gada swing @2.5 kg
  1. 360 + OH360 x 4 x 1 min
  2. 10-2 x 2 x 1 min , hand switch 10-2 x 2 x 1 min
  3. 360 + OH360 x 4 x 1 min
About 20 - 30 min rest between each series

With all the volume and weight loss I thought about getting another day rest in for the balance program.

Morning prep - beach

PHK (standing in the mad)
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training x 25 breaths
OS resets
Forward crawling (leopard and baby mix) x 5 min

Afternoon - balance program
Prep

Lifting the sky
NCC @16kg + 12kg x 2 x 2/1/3

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 3 x {2 x 2 , 2 x 1}

Evening - bounce program
8 min gada swing @2.5 kg
10-2 x 2 x 1 min
10-2 to 360 x 2 x 1 min
360 + OH360 x 4 x 1 min​

Thanks for providing Paul Wolkowinski's site. I'll use this when I purchase a gada.
How has Gada practise benefited your BVB? I play cricket and can see it improving mobility in my shoulders especially when throwing.

The Gada swing is very self-limiting in its nature. It improved my shoulder and thoracic mobility. More importantly it improved my dynamic stability (which is probably what "opened" the mobility), movement accuracy and efficiency, limb timing and energy transfer from the trunk to the arms. All these are qualities I thought I was rather good at - It solved problems I didn't even knew I had.

Bottom line - my attack hit got allot faster without me noticing it (my training partners complained I hit to hard very early on ball prep). Further more, the hit becoming very instinctual frees some head space and allow me to do other things better, like time my approach and look at the defense. While far from the same as Cricket throws I assume the qualities are shared.

Paul has a very good section on building your own Gada with both text, pictures and videos.

@Stuart Elliott, one more thing I noticed few minutes ago in today's Gada session as I did some club swings as prep. I did the FMS intro to club swings course a while back and followed its progression (which I think is based on what Paul Wolkowinki term hearts).

The most challenging part for me was the part of moving the club from the "home" position to behind the head. I tried some more advanced progression today (FMS calls it #4) which is a big coordination challenge.What I noticed is that I had no "movement challenges" anymore and it was just the coordination I need to learn. I guess it is not fresh from today but the new movement demands showcased it more. I am quite sure that the Gada is responsible since I noticed these are quite similar movements.

During the last leg of the Gada practice, while doing hand switch 10-2, I noticed that I can do pretty "fancy" arm movements fast, fluid and accurate. Most surprising is that it was borderline reflexively. I timed the breath and stopped the swing with my eyes, the movement basically just happened.

Last edited:
@Shahaf Levin thanks again for the feedback. The results you are seeing are those I'm hoping for. Fast and fluid shoulder movement is not easy achieve as we age, the Gada seems to act as a lubrication.

@Shahaf Levin thanks again for the feedback. The results you are seeing are those I'm hoping for. Fast and fluid shoulder movement is not easy achieve as we age, the Gada seems to act as a lubrication.

Exactly lubrication. Add some club swings and you'll have the shoulders of a baby :)

As I write it I feel Gada taught me to re-appreciate the "movement health" side of ballistics. Seems like my next block will be swings and Gada... maybe some dose of OS gait training... I'll work something during this week. Although, three movements seems this days like way too much variety...

Morning prep - home

PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training x 25 breaths
OS resets

Noon - bouldering
123 ladders @V0, V1, V2, V3
Climbed each problem slowly and calmly, working on accuracy. Therefore, time on the wall was around double as if climbing at my regular pace.

Nothing to challenging, felt good and aware.

Prep

Some club swings

Practice
8 min gada swing @2.5 kg
360 + OH360 x 4 x 1 min
10-2 x 2 x 1 min
Hand switch 10-2 x 2 x 1 min​

Evening - balance program
Movement prep

Lifting the sky
OS resets
BB armbar @12kg x 3 + 3
Goblet squat @24kg x 5
Some more club swings

Practice
Bent press @32kg x 4 x 2 - two doubles each side

Notes
  • Gada: The most fluid one arm work have I ever had.
  • Bent press: The second rep is sometimes not as smooth as the first. My key point to work on is the setup of the back rack for the second rep. Just like the clean is the key for a good first rep the pull down, either in push press or strict style, is the key for a good second rep. It is a timing issue in the drop which cause absorbing the bell to soft when not focusing enough. It was not a noticeable with the 28kg so either the 32kg illuminate an issue in technique or it is some confidence issue. Either way same solution - focus, tense, breath, practice.

@Shahaf Levin swings and gada could be a great pairing. In my mind they compliment each other.
Just read your btp feedback, the 32kg is a good teacher. If my concentration is good it can feel comfortable even for 3 reps, but if my mind slips the bell feels like it weighs a ton, especially on the drop into rack. I've tried @Pavel Macek see saw press and this definitely works when lowering the bell into rack.

@Shahaf Levin swings and gada could be a great pairing. In my mind they compliment each other.
Just read your btp feedback, the 32kg is a good teacher. If my concentration is good it can feel comfortable even for 3 reps, but if my mind slips the bell feels like it weighs a ton, especially on the drop into rack. I've tried @Pavel Macek see saw press and this definitely works when lowering the bell into rack.

Definitely a good teacher :) I did some triples with it in the past, but as tests, not real training sessions. I'll try see sawing the way down tomorrow. I switched to 2 days on/ 1 off for this week to spread the volume so I can still do the other stuff properly.

Morning prep - beach

PHK
  • Lifting the sky
  • Stance training x 27 breaths
OS resets
OH squat @sandbag x 5
OH hack squats @sandbag x 5
Backward neck building crawling sequence x 2
Forward crawling x the way back
~6 min of walking and marching with sandbag on my head

Noon - bouldering
123 ladders @V0, V1, V2, V3
Climbed each problem slowly and calmly, working on accuracy.

Yeah, same as yesterday with some different problems mixed in.

Evening - bounce program
Prep

Lifting the sky
Some club swings

Practice
8 min gada swing @2.5 kg
10-2 x 2 x 1 min
360 + OH360 x 4 x 1 min - Some squatting added to the 360

Notes
  • Sandbag towing: Since I feel the sandbag each day it kind of makes things a little more varied and auto-regulating. While the weight is not varied by too much it still is. Plus, the "beach density" varies as well now that it started raining a little. Today the sand was a denser from this week rainy days and had much less drag resulting in a lighter effort day.
  • Gada: Yesterdays order of swings was better. The OH360 is the most challenging for me and putting it in the end lead to loosing quality faster, so less OH practice. The hand switch 10-2 is much easier for me. Squats were nice mix.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom