all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

@taedoju glad you find some of the info I post useful!

Today's practice:

- prying goblet squats 3x5 with 24 kg
- 10x10 swings with 44 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 32, 36, 36, 32, 32

Today's tip: How to lift a heavier bell

Just get familiar with it, doesn't matter how. Swing it, do partial get-ups with it, use it for farmer carries, do loaded cleans. Slowly get used to it, and you won't be afraid of it when the time comes to do [fill in blanks] with the bell.

Just get familiar with it, doesn't matter how. Swing it, do partial get-ups with it, use it for farmer carries, do loaded cleans. Slowly get used to it, and you won't be afraid of it when the time comes to do [fill in blanks] with the bell.
Very interesting statement; I like the underlying message. I have a 32kg sitting idly in the corner of my bedroom, which I am not touching hoping to get to it one day. What you are telling me is to start being 'friends' with it.

@Abdul Rasheed exactly. Start being 'friends' with it. ROP gives you a blueprint for that - check out the variety days options. Even if you can't eg. perform regular clean with 32, do a cheat clean. If you e.g. can't do full get-up with 32, do half get-up, or even just the floor press.

Yesterday's practice:

- 10x10 two hand swings with 32 kg
- get-ups - 5x1 with 24

Today's practice:

- get-ups - 5x1 with 32, 36, 36, 36, 32

Today's tip... or two... or three.. or...

- heavier bell changes a lot - with a light bell, you can swing wrong. With a heavier bell, you can't - the bell will teach you.

- in the swing, it will pull you forward, it will drop down rather than back, if you are lazy with your hinge, it will not fly chest high, etc.

- in a get-up, different story - technique of a get-up with 24 and 40 is quite different, because the center of mass has shifted. Most people will have a problem with roll to elbow phase. Wit a heavier bell, try following:
a) with bell which is relatively heavy for your bodyweight, the arm with the bell will not be perpendicular to the floor. If you try so, you will either loose the bell, or your straight leg will kick up when you roll. Shift the bell slightly to the direction where your free hand and extended leg is pointing see - c)
b) don't do a sit-up (we all know this). Dig that heel hard into the floor, lift your glute first, roll
c) wedge underneath the bell when you finish the roll to elbow - when you for example perform right hand get-up, the centre of mass of the bell performs a slight "<" type of movement. Best way how to find out how to do it is to the reverse movement, and do it slowly.

- daily "technical GTG" I wrote about before helps to fill in blanks, "chink in the armor", and I don't mean only muscles, but movements. IT seems to help a lot. S&S is the proverbial 20% covering 80% of the needs, the remaining 80% cover the 20% holes. Do the other exercises light - I am currently doing S&S with 36-44, and I use 24 only for the rest of the drills.

Doing the same exercises for an extended period of time might lead to boredom, or to technical proficiency, finesse, strength, and health. I chose the second option.

Last edited:
Great again - you are on your way to write a book of tips;) do you find heavy get ups similar to get ups with a shoe or water in glass?:)

@Pavel Macek : I do not want to hijack your log...but I humbly do, cause I think I can add some experience on the topic regarding get ups.

@tadeusz444 :
heavy get ups similar to get ups with a shoe or water in glass?

from my experience, a big NO! with a shoe, or a glass of water, I meet each and every SF standard. With a heavy weight (80% weight) say, the beast to me I could do it, but not easily. last year, I did a get up with a 65kg dumbbell on both sides. Almost 70% of bodyweight.
I can attest, what Pavel says above. A heavy get up first, is heavy no surprise. But the movement also is/was different. I do not want to describe to much, but only am so free, to set the link to my get up. This is far from SF standard, and what helps me tremendously, is, that I have some decent hip (hyper)mobility, to set my feet as close to the weight as possible. This was the way, I did it, and it worked not that bad.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APdtyVjeDg
disclaimer: this was pre StrongFirst hands on instruction, and is no prescription in any way. When I had my SFG1 I had to learn a totally new get up. StrongFirst is the school of strength, and what and how we teach is how to get strong in the safest and most efficient manner.

Last edited:
i found similarities thats why I'm asking, heaviest i went is 52kg with two kb only on right, and it felt like glass of water, i.e every mistake could spill it. Probably not SF standard tho.. thank you for reply, I'm taking my sf1 in may

Heavy get-up is different animal, but - still SFG standard. Strive for perfect technique, always.

Yesterday's practice:

Rest.

Today's practice:

- get-ups with 1x32 and 4x36

Both solid, happy.

Today's practice:

- 5x1 get-ups with 36

Today's practice:

- 10x10 two hand overspeed eccentric swings with 32 kg
- static-dynamic get-ups - 5x1 with 24

Today's photo:

Czech edition of Kettlebell Simple & Sinister - #1 bestseller in iBookstore. Czechia is getting STRONG(First)!

ibook.jpg

Today's practice:

- 5x1 get-ups with 36, 40, 36, 36, 36

Today's note:

FAQ: "So... you are doing only get-ups and swings... How about military press, deadlift, ..., ...., ...?"

A: Of course, SAID. Practicing deadlift? Your deadlift improves. Pressing a lot? Your military press improves. SAID works. But - kettlebells are famous for their WTH effect as well.

Without anything more than "technical GTG" with nothing heavier than 24 kg, I have done PR in bent press, 48 kg at 70 kg BW.
I tried strict handstand pushups max this week - 14 HSPU.
Strict tactical pull-ups some time ago - 16 reps.
1/2 BW+ military press - 36 kg, any time.

Bragging about the numbers isn't the point, the numbers are not very impressive, but - I kept quite a lot of my strength in the lifts I don't practice at all, just by doing S&S, and approaching S&S as a skill (of strength) practice.

When I feel ready, I am gonna try comfortable deadlift max. I have pulled 2,5x BW last year, let's see if I can approach that number - without any heavy deadlifting at all.

Interesting experiment, what do you think?

I'm really interested in that deadlift attempt, also squat would be nice to see if it improves..

Back
Top Bottom