all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's practice:

- 3x10 halos with 16, 3x5 SFG bridges, 3x5 goblet squats with 48
- 10x10 swings with 48
- 5x1 get-up 44

Today's picture: HSQ with light dumbbells

Notice the upright body and the legs angle.

17499270_1881962132022224_2295240257247422811_n.jpg

Today's practice:

- 10x10 swings with 48
- 5x1 get-up 44

Today's picture: Old-school abs by Maxick, Muscle Control. Careful readers of Pavel's Hardstyle Abs know.

maxick.jpg

I just saw your video from a few days ago with the Captains of Crush. What are you able to Crush and has grip strength improved much since S & S?

Also, in the same video you were doing the plank. Do you always do hardstyle. Or do you go for time too?

Thanks!

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Not so old-school strongman abs if you have the same ;)

By the way, this is a pretty interesting book ! In turns out physical practice into a mental practice, almost like a martial art.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just saw your video from a few days ago with the Captains of Crush. What are you able to Crush and has grip strength improved much since S & S?

Also, in the same video you were doing the plank. Do you always do hardstyle. Or do you go for time too?

Thanks!

CoC - I can close #2 - I have not tried #2,5.

Plank - Hardstyle only.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
I am closer than ever to my weighted goal (1/2 bdw press). So, I am starting to think about my next routine which will be mainly bodyweight based. I'll maintain all my kettlebell skills, using GTG and / or variety days. I will also keep my 100 daily swings because I am just in love with them.

Then, your Maxick picture made me wanted to try his isometric method. I never experienced such kind of training, using only iso-holds. Did you ? Do you have opinion(s) related to it ? I am really interested in this approach, almost like in yoga because this is based on body consciousness.

I thank you very much and hope these questions will not disturb you.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' Isometric training is great thing - but imho it should not be the only thing you do. Maxick, Monte Saldo and other gentlemen promoting Muscle Control were of course lifting iron, not only "internal isometrics".

What we do in StrongFirst is using same principles in our regular lifting when appropriate (and appropriate level). Refer to the SFB Course and SFB Cert - courses which teach the principles of strength and which follow in the footsteps of the legendary forefathers of iron game and strength training in general.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Thank you very much for your answer. As always, your post is godsend !

I want to keep lifting some heavy weights, mainly using Bent Press and swings. I am looking for variety. Do you think that BnP / Swings + isometrics (and of course good stretching) can be compatible for strength gain ? I am not necessarily interested in getting ripped as Maxick though.

EDIT: after writing this post, I found that link Muscle Control Exercises - Maxick, Otto Arco, Maxalding (maybe it will interest you in terms of strength culture...even if you already know so much !)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
@pet' Always my pleasure, you are welcomed.

Sounds good. An idea: Why not to do the original PM - bent press and snatch? That is btw. what I will do after I conquer "Sinister".

Thank you for the links - I have read most of the Muscle Control books. I like especially Great Strength by Muscle Control by Maxick. Many old-timers regarded Maxick to be an exceptional athlete, e.g. Edward Aston.

Yesterday: 8 hours of teaching at StrongFirst SFG 1-Day Course:

View attachment 31

Today: Rest day - breathing exercises, some mobility stuff, enjoying tea, reading - C.G. Jung's autobiography Memories, Dreams Reflections (again).

This part caught my eye (CGJ writing about his Tower he built):

I have done without electricity, and tend the fireplace and stove myself. Evenings, I light the old lamps. There is no running water, and I pump the water from the well. I chop the wood and cook the food. These simple acts make man simple and how difficult it is to be simple!

Reforms by advances, that is, by new methods or gadgets, are of course impressive at first, but in the long run they are dubious and in any case dearly paid for. They by no means increase the contentment or happiness of people on the whole. Mostly, they are deceptive sweetenings of existence, like speedier communications which unpleasantly accelerate the tempo of life and leave us with less time than ever before. Omnis festinatio ex parte diaboli est—all haste is of the devil, as the old masters used to say.
Dubious, indeed.

Today's practice:

- 10x10 swings with 48
- 5x1 get-up 44

Today's picture: No bells? No problem. Gladiator shoes? Mandatory.

a.jpg

Today's practice:

Rest day - just easy dumbbell practice throughout the day.

Today's photo: Few things that supermen have in common

- they are devoted to mental and physical culture
- the are interested in weight-lifting, wrestling, gymnastics, hand balancing, fencing, athletics
- (nudism, well... I will leave that to you )
- and they lift barbells, dumbbells, and kettlebells!

super.jpg

Today's practice:

- 10x10 swings with 48
- 5x1 get-up 44

Today's picture: Another clipping from Prof. Attila’s scrapbook.

Exercises for ladies, 1909 edition: Roman column, get-up, one-arm dumbell press, pullup, barbell military press.

17795909_1885008135050957_4425554257319286700_n.jpg

Wait a sec... it looks like the lady doing what looks like a bench press but is hanging over the back of a chair shouldn't be able to do that. And I don't mean her physically (she's obviously very strong), I just mean from a physics standpoint. What am I missing here?

What is "easy dumbbell practice"?
Old exercises like bent press?
Maybe Biceps curl?

Back
Top Bottom