all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's video

"Arco's favorite all-round strength exercise was the two-arm get-down and get-up exercise... He was one of the best, if not the greatest exponent of the get-down and get-up lift in proportion to his bodyweight. He performed this lift on many occasions with a 175-pound barbell held at arm's length overhead with one arm, at a bodyweight of 140 pounds."

- John Jesse, Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia, 1974.​

Today's practice: Swings and Get-ups

- one-arm swings, high volume - 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 14 sets total (sum of left and right)
- get-ups, light volume - 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, always left+ right, rest. 6 sets total (sum of left and right)

Today's practice: Swings and Get-ups

- one-arm swings, high volume - 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 14 sets total (sum of left and right)
- get-ups, light volume - 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, always left+ right, rest. 6 sets total (sum of left and right)
Are you still doing the dice roll for volume? Separate rolls for swings and get-ups?

@Sean M I am thinking what to do next. RSAS goal was met long time ago. I love both snatches and bent presses. On the other hand, I have some unfinished business with SAS, so I am thinking to come back to SAS, and add some more advance principles that Pavel mentions in his SAS article, namely waving the volume - less organized than in the article, decided by a dice throw, just like in mine RSAS. So far, I am thinking of:

Swings:

1, 2 = 6 sets of one-hand swings (60 reps total)
3, 4 = 10 sets of one-hand swings (100 reps total)
5, 6 = 14 sets of one-hand swings (140 reps total)

Get-ups:

1, 2 = 6 sets of get-ups (6 reps total)
3, 4 = 10 sets of get-ups (10 reps total)
5, 6 = 14 sets of get-ups (14 reps total)

Also, as I know form the my previous practice, the hardest part for me is the roll to elbow phase, so as for get-ups, I may alternate regular get-ups (sets of 1) and half-get-ups (sets of 2).

RSAS also uses double progression (weight, reps), so I may also use it it "only the way to Sinister".

@Pavel Macek
What has happened to your elbow(s) ??

Have you written an article/blog about RSaS protocol yet ? My curiosity got tickled yesterday :)

Both my elbows are a bit busted from combat arts training for last 27 years - I have done lots of stupid stuff in the past (like jumping back and forth from my fists to elbows... on the concrete). Last year I got bursitis, and few week ago an armbar in my MMA training happened. All good now.

RSAS: I am still waiting for few reviews form my RSAS test group, and then I will publish it.

@Pavel Macek had you considered a 2 hands anyhow progression as a next step from RSAS? I'm not sure whether one follows the other, but in my layman's thinking it could. The 2HAH lift has always interested me and was one of my main reasons for learning the bent press.

@Pavel Macek had you considered a 2 hands anyhow progression as a next step from RSAS? I'm not sure whether one follows the other, but in my layman's thinking it could. The 2HAH lift has always interested me and was one of my main reasons for learning the bent press.

I personally think 2HAH is more stunt than a lift, so - no.

Today's practice: SAS Revisited

- goblet squats - 3x5 with 40 kg
- one-arm swings, medium volume - 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 10 sets total (sum of left and right)
- half get-ups, high volume - 2x32 kg, 2x32 kg, 2x32 kg, 2 x32 kg, 2x32 kg, 2x32 kg, 2x32 kg, always left+ right, rest. 14 sets total (sum of left and right)

al-treloar-hack-squat.jpg

“Stand erect with hands at sides, feet two inches apart. Sink down by bending the knees, letting the heels rise from the floor; at the same time raise the arms... Return to starting position and repeat. Be careful to keep the body erect throughout the movement. 20 times. [Quadriceps extensor.]

Note. -If unable to do this exercise more than 8-10 times at first take some of the work on the arms by holding the backs of two chairs.”

- Albert Treloar, Treloar’s Science of Muscular Development. A Text Book of Physical Training, 1904.

31097763_2059991290885973_8621239496224014336_n.jpg

“Place your weight on the top of your head… Work the neck round and round, sideways, and up and down without counting. [All muscle of neck.]

- Albert Treloar, Treloar’s Science of Muscular Development. A Text Book of Physical Training, 1904.

Today's video

2nd ever SDS Dumbbell Minimum workshop. One more local event, and it is ready for an international launch!

Old-school Hardstyle dumbbell lifting FTW!

- goblet squats - 5x40, 5x48, 5x40 kg
- one-arm swings, high volume - 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 14 sets total (sum of left and right)
- get-ups, medium volume - 1x32 kg, 1x40 kg, 2x32 kg, 2 x32 kg, 2x32 kg,, always left+ right, rest. 10 sets total (sum of left and right)

Today's video

Dumbbell exercises (curls, flyes, and triceps kickbacks)?

No, Hardstyle Dumbbell lifts! Cleans, presses, snatches, and of course swings - REAL dumbbell swings (not just kettlebell swings done with a dumbbell), as taught and practiced by Sandow, Inch, Maxick, Monte Saldo, Saxon, Goerner, Klein, Grimek, and many many others. More from my Saturday's SDS Dumbbell Minimum workshop. Btw. the lady on the video is 50 years young, weights 50 kg, and pulled 110 kg at her first TSC.

- goblet squats - 5x40, 5x48, 5x48 kg

- one-arm swings, low volume - 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x48 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 6 sets total (sum of left and right)

- half get-ups, high volume - 2x32 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, 2 x32 kg, 2x32 kg, 2x32 kg, 2x32 kg, always left+ right, rest. 14 sets total (sum of left and right)

Last edited:
Today's video

Dumbbell press is same - but different - from the regular kettlebell press, BUT many lessons can be learned from the kettlebell bottom up press.

Bottom up kettlebell drills answer many questions for the dumbbell press rack, pressing groove, body alignment, eyes position, and finishing position of the press.

That is why I use it in the first progressions when teaching the dumbbell press.

- goblet squats - 5x48 kg, 5x48, 5x48 kg

- one-arm swings, medium volume - 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 10 sets total (sum of left and right)

- get-ups, low volume - 32 kg, 40 kg, 40 kg, always left+ right, rest. 6 sets total (sum of left and right)

Last edited:
Today's photo

I have realized that the dumbbell swing is almost exactly the same as the “weight over bar” of the the Highland games
- pre-swing, assistance of the other hand, triple extension...

I have found it out in a dream (seriously!).

Just don't let go off the dumbbell, ok?

highland.jpg

@Pavel Macek, I believe there is, or was, a similar event in the World Strongest Man competition, but that was more of a 2HS motion......

Ervin-Katona-Lift.jpg

Today's video

A one-arm military press tip (for a heavier press, or more reps) - something that I call (for time being) a "virtual see-saw press". Demonstrated with a dumbbell, but I am working on detailed kettlebell video + article.

Back
Top Bottom