all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

As long as variety day doesn't take away from your main training, do what feels right in quantities that also feel right. Err on the side of caution.

-S-

@Steve Freides ,

Would you condone a +1 rep per week progression?
Ex.
5 sets = 2/2, 1/1, 1/1, 1/1, 1/1
then the following week
5 sets = 2/2, 2/2, 1/1, 1/1, 1/1

As long as it does not feel like too much, too soon, or over training?

I wouldn't plan a progression; just do a few. If a few more feels good one day, so be it.

-S-

Mr. Moran,

That is a great article. Have I already screwed this up by starting with ROP as opposed to S&S? I haven't read S&S yet, is that part of the problem? I never practiced the patterning from lesson 1, so would it be safe to say that I need to check out Kalos Sthenos and Dynami?

Different questions:

Should I focus more on just mastering the prescribed GUs by moving slower, owning each position, and retaining tension?

If I inserted a heavier bell, what would be the best way to do it? It's a pretty big jump, for me anyway. 32 to 40 kgs.

Thanks for your time.

No I think you are fine. The point to take from this if you are making progress don't get "bored" and add more load or variety of it is not needed. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Thank you. That is sound advice. I am currently fighting off a lifetime of more/faster/harder is better and it helps to be reminded every so often.

Have been doing S&S for about 10 months, and am looking to switch to ROP for a couple cycles to switch things up. I was wondering if anyone has been doing S&S for the variety days of ROP, and if they had success or not?

My two lifetime fitness goals are to achieve the press and snatch goals of ROP and achieve "sinister". Continuing to do S&S on the ROP variety days seems to be a good idea, but wanted to see what the prevailing opinions were.

As someone who has done the ROP cycle a few times you could maybe do S&S on the off days but drop the Swing Volume and the TGU volume in half. Like 2/2-3/3 on the TGU and 4-6 x10 swings. Trust me the ROP days are gonna tax you if you are doing it proper and you may just want to do 2/2 TGU and something more soft like mobility or walking on the off days.

Hello folks! Not new here but new to this thread. Loved the ROP, it was my chosen program when purchasing my bells and pavels technique. I spent 12 months in 2011/12 on the program and took myself from 16kg to completely owning the 24, also went from a single sloppy and horrible pull up to owning the 5x5 ladders with an additional 20kg on my toes. Then we moved house, planned a wedding, got married, had a little boy and he's now about to turn 2. In the last couple of years I built myself my own garage gym, home squat rack (designed and built by the local steel fab place) and got a pull up frame in the garden designed by them too, with a thick bar and big enough to hang Olympic Rings from. I've added Olympic barbell, got all the bells up to 32 and double 44kg bells for loaded carries (bw is 84/5kg). Because of having our son training time was limited so I have spent the last couple of years enjoying varieties of training modes and employing Dan johns philosophy of keeping it simple and moving, practicing my squats/deads and playing with pressing without fatiguing. Spent a whole host of time on One Lift A Day and not pushing it, staying fresh but making very slow progress, it's very slow but if it carries on I will be squatting 200kg at the of 38 (unlikely haha). My current numbers are that I can press the 28kg for doubles, single press the 329 on right side only. Squat max is 110kg , dead max is 165kg (weak compared to most I know but at 34 and running a business I'm happy with my numbers if I can slowly progress over the decades).

So to my point, the weather will start to improve here in the coming weeks and I'm going to restart the ROP, I know the program and I know what works for me so I'm comfortable with all that but...

Has anyone successfully employed maintaining their squat numbers while on ROP (only maintaining, not looking to progress and detract from the pressing)? Presumably on variety days, which I only used one of previously and it worked well with light BUP and get ups.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, sorry for the ridiculously long babbling before getting to the point. I had a look through the whole thread but didn't see anyone mention anything similar to my question. ROP STARTS MONDAY AND I CANT WAIT!!

Hi all
I haven't started ROP yet. Practising cleans and presses with a 16kg 3x5 before my S&S session. But I have a few questions:

1) Schedule
Monday: off
Tuesday: heavy
Wednesday: light
Thursday: off
Friday: variety
Saturday: medium
Sunday: variety
Does this look ok?

2) What do you do on variety days?

Best Regards
Jesper

Jesper,

There is a neat PDF on supportive exercises for RoP specifically designed to improve C+P just google 'how to complete your Rite of Passage sooner' I do some version of these on variety days or some rowing or nothing at all if I am pushed for time.

I would have found light day straight after heavy day hard work, I always put a rest day in.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but having reading and learning lots from everyone here for a while now. I just wanted to chime in and share my experience with RoP and S&S as I am currently running both programs together and have been making good steady progress.

I am using a 28kg bell for swings and get ups, I feel I own this bell (my usual practice with the 28kg is between 14-17 minutes) and need to move up to a 32kg which I have ordered but have been waiting for over a month now for delivery. While this long wait for the bell is getting quite annoying I must concede that having an extra few weeks with the 28kg has only helped me improve with it. I first started S&S around April last year with with a 16kg bell and made quick progress to the 24 but stopped all training between July and December because of a new job with horrendous working hours (14+ hour days with 1 or 2 days off per month).

Once my working hours calmed a bit in December I got straight back onto S&S with the 24kg started throwing in some sets with the 28 and also read enter the kettlebell for the first time. Having never been particularly happy with my cleans or my pressing strength as well missing snatching I thought I would start practicing the RoP as well just to see how it went, i don't do the pull ups as I have nowhere to do them. I started with a 20kg bell. I am now on the 24kg bell for presses and snatches, my last heavy day was 4 ladders x 4 rungs and 1 ladder x 3 rungs, I hope this weekend to get 5 ladders x 4 rungs. My week currently looks like this

Monday: RoP light day
Tuesday:S&S
Wednesday: RoP medium day
Thursday: S&S
Friday: RoP heavy day
Saturday: off/S&S/training with SFG1 instructor
Sunday: S&S

The only modifications I have made to the programs as written is the swing protocols as I definitely found that with the dice rolling it could get a little too much some weeks. To combat this I looked at how often I was doing swings; 5 days a week (Monday snatches and Saturday off) x multiplied this by 100 ala S&S to get 500 swings per week and simply applied a waviness approach as detailed in one of Pavel's excellent blog posts. I still roll the dice for snatches. My mindset for this training is that the l/m/h days are non negotionable but the S&S days are, so if I feel particularly drained from right of passage I don't beat myself up over taking the following day off or just having a light day. In reality since adjusting the swing protocol I very rarely feel the need to take a day off and always feel refreshed and recharged after my training.

My conclusion is that the two programs can be run together very well, at least on these weights although that may change when the bells get heavier, I will report back on this. Also I'm not working crazy hours at the moment so I get plenty of rest each day and eat very cleanly. My plan is to achieve simple and continue working on RoP until half body weight press is achieved however I may swap out for different variety days when simple is achieved I'm not sure yet. Then maybe SFG1 who knows.

Apologies for the long post.

Jesper,

I'm no expert here, but I'll give it a whack...

I am currently doing ROP, been at it since Jan 6th.

+1 what krg said. Personally, I would switch Mon/Tues or Wed/Thur, to give you some more time between heavy and light.

As for variety, in ETK, there is a "Thursday" variety day listed, but the main point is to do whatever you feel like, but go easy. Not light, easy.

My variety days include some lighter weight Windmills and GUs (both slow TUT) and bottom up presses and the Thursday variety day from ETK.

Good luck with your ROP!

Thanks for all the feedback!
Found the pdf thanks @krg

Ok so about the schedule, I can't train on mondays (9 hours of massage...), can't go heavy on thursdays/fridays, and would prefer either off or variety on thursdays. So how about:

monday: off
tuesday: light
wednesday: heavy
thursday: off
friday variety
saturday: medium
sunday: variety

better?

I am soooo not qualified to offer decent advice for this. Sorry, sir.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Found the pdf thanks @krg

Ok so about the schedule, I can't train on mondays (9 hours of massage...), can't go heavy on thursdays/fridays, and would prefer either off or variety on thursdays. So how about:

monday: off
tuesday: light
wednesday: heavy
thursday: off
friday variety
saturday: medium
sunday: variety

better?

Mr. @Steve Freides , Mr. @Brett Jones ,
Could you gentlemen please weigh in on the best programming option for somanaut? Thank you kindly.

Back
Top Bottom