all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

@somanaut - Rest before heavy day helps you get through it. Rest after heavy day helps you benefit from it. Use the first of your two schedules but switch Wed and Thu so it's heavy, off, light for Tue-Wed-Thu.

@MikeMoran, I like Heavy day on Monday. I'm fresh after the weekend and it then dictates what the next two workouts will be.

-S-

Sounds good to me. Whatever gets you doing it I say. For me though I like my Medium day as a warm up, Heavy in the middle and then Light day to cool down the week. ;)

@MikeMoran, I like Heavy day on Monday. I'm fresh after the weekend and it then dictates what the next two workouts will be.

Mr. Freides, I will be moving to Monday Heavy in order to get some separation between heavy variety and my hike days on Friday.

QUESTION:
I didn't meet my heavy C&P 5@5 ladder yesterday. I want to move Heavy day to Monday, but I think doing it next week is too much too soon. I was thinking of going Medium this Saturday, Light Monday, Medium Wednesday, Light Saturday, then Heavy that following Monday. Is this sounding ok, or is there a better way to program this to both get some time to recover and attempt the 5@5 again?

Thank you!

Hi! I´m starting 5x1-4 C&P/Pullup ladder today 16kg.Started 2 weeks ago with 3x1-3 Working my way up to 5x1-5 ladders.
Did 5x1-3 and 100 swings(10left&10 right) on the minute, a few days ago.Taking my time and practice some mobility drills in the days between. With 4 kids there aint much time to spend so this program fits my schedule very well right now.
My goal is the 24kg and with a bodyweight of 60 kg its a challenge but i will get there.:)
Thank you all for very inspiring reading and for all the knowledge that is shared on this site, and on this great ROP support group.

Mr. Freides, I will be moving to Monday Heavy in order to get some separation between heavy variety and my hike days on Friday.

QUESTION:
I didn't meet my heavy C&P 5@5 ladder yesterday. I want to move Heavy day to Monday, but I think doing it next week is too much too soon. I was thinking of going Medium this Saturday, Light Monday, Medium Wednesday, Light Saturday, then Heavy that following Monday. Is this sounding ok, or is there a better way to program this to both get some time to recover and attempt the 5@5 again?
I can't follow the details here, @Miguel, but better go slower and/or take more days off or easy than go too hard too soon. You could add extra rest days to reorder the days of the week for your schedule, or perhaps add an extra light day - or what you showed could also work. Go by feel.

-S-

I can't follow the details here, @Miguel, but better go slower and/or take more days off or easy than go too hard too soon. You could add extra rest days to reorder the days of the week for your schedule, or perhaps add an extra light day - or what you showed could also work. Go by feel.
-S-
Mr. @Steve Freides , sorry about that. Reading it myself... I want to apologize. I'm sure I could have made that more understandable.
Basically, I went back and forth between MEDIUM and LIGHT days for my schedule shuffle. Things feel good. Tomorrow is my last LIGHT day, the following session is HEAVY. Thanks for weighing in, sir.

I started a de-load week. I felt a need for a break.
I am also thinking about taking a little break from ROP and do another short program for a couple of weeks.
I will return though for that half BW press, but right now I felt I have hit a bit of a plateau and need to break through it.

I also experienced some deep muscle fatigue in the legs.

I have a question regarding the rest periods between rungs and sets.

My first set usually goes pretty quick 1+2+3+4. I used to take a decent break before starting the next set i.e.3-5 mins. More recently I've started again when I feel I can do the single for the next set and normally the double comes pretty soon after that. Then I take a slightly longer break before I start the triple and a longer rest again before the 4.

So in effect the workout looks more like
1+2+3+4+1+2, rest +/- 2 mins
3, rest 2-3 mins, 4+1+2, rest 2-3 mins
3, rest 2-3 mins, 4+1+2, rest 2-3 mins
3+4+1+2, rest 3+4

This seems to increase the density of the session but does it still adhere to the ladder methodology or is it becoming something else?

Yes and if you read the book Pavel says as long as it is in the SAME DAY. Meaning you could do 2-3 rungs in the AM and then the other 2-3 in the PM.

Now if you want some Hypertrophy than better to do it all in one session. My last time through with the 24kg recently(was waiting on a 28kg) I was flying though the ladders and my shoulders/upper back blew up.

"Either extreme of rest between sets—less than a minute on one end, and 10 minutes and more on the other—will make you strong for different reasons. Extremely short breaks will make you stronger by building muscle in the tradition of Charles Staley’s EDT (edtsecrets.com). Extremely long breaks will make you stronger by improving your skill of strength in the tradition of my GTG program from The Naked Warrior. Medium breaks will give you a mix of muscular and neural adaptations. This is why I have not specified how long you should rest between your sets in this book. Why complicate?"

Quoted from ETK.
+1 to Mr. Rasheed and Mr. Moran
I have found that the heavier the weight, the longer I tend to rest. I try to blast through 1-2, 2-3, and 5-1 for rest. It's the 3-4 and 4-5 rungs that have me "doing laps" around my bell.

"Either extreme of rest between sets—less than a minute on one end, and 10 minutes and more on the other—will make you strong for different reasons. Extremely short breaks will make you stronger by building muscle in the tradition of Charles Staley’s EDT (edtsecrets.com). Extremely long breaks will make you stronger by improving your skill of strength in the tradition of my GTG program from The Naked Warrior. Medium breaks will give you a mix of muscular and neural adaptations. This is why I have not specified how long you should rest between your sets in this book. Why complicate?"

Quoted from ETK.
+1 to Mr. Rasheed and Mr. Moran
I have found that the heavier the weight, the longer I tend to rest. I try to blast through 1-2, 2-3, and 5-1 for rest. It's the 3-4 and 4-5 rungs that have me "doing laps" around my bell.

Yes now this last time with the 28kg I needed longer rests between sets. It is all relative.

The quote from the book is correct - shorter rests will yield more hypertrophy, but remember that a lot of volume will usually yield some hypertrophy, regardless. A heavier weight will require more rest but yield more strength; a lighter, but still heavy weight will allow shorter rests, better facilitate hypertrophy, and still build strength; a too-light weight will not build as much strength.

-S-

Thanks for the replies.

Generally I like to try and keep the sessions shorter if possible and I've always used a cue from ROTK where Pavel recommends on your hard day to stay on a level until you cannot reduce the total workout time any more and only then move up to the next rung.

I found that changing from my original 5x1+2+3+4 with 3-5 min of rest between sets to the schedule above, that I shaved about 2 minutes off the total time, from about 37 mins to just under 35.

The quote from the book is correct - shorter rests will yield more hypertrophy, but remember that a lot of volume will usually yield some hypertrophy, regardless. A heavier weight will require more rest but yield more strength; a lighter, but still heavy weight will allow shorter rests, better facilitate hypertrophy, and still build strength; a too-light weight will not build as much strength.
-S-
Mr. Freides, hypertrophy is muscle growth? Strength is defined as? Would not a bigger muscle have more fibers to recruit, therefor meaning more strength? (Sorry for the rookie questions, I am not yet A CPT)
So if I want to be strong, I go heavy?
If I want muscle growth, I go not as heavy?
If I want to waste my time, I go light? (poor choice of words, I do not understand what the body does under light load and light effort, is it similar to aiming for a Maff HR?)
I am finally getting some traction down here with the guys and their training ideology, I really want to lead/coach them down the right path, and not just tell them to do this or that because "bro, it works..!"
Thanks again, sir.

Last edited:

QUESTION:

Thank you!

FWIW, I followed this hard to read schedule and did my HEAVY session today. 5 @ 5 no problem. I am actually quite amazed that a break from HEAVY made me stronger. Like, I am having a hard time understanding it.

Mr. @Steve Freides ,

Would it be against ROP programming to mix and match bells?
Example:
C&P 32kgs
Swings 40kgs
Snatches 24-32kgs

I don't think this would be an issue. I'm yet to start ROP, but my plan is to start with C&P and snatch using the 24 and swings with the 32 and 40.

Back
Top Bottom