all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Just finished with 20kg bell last week and yesterday started new with 24kg and did 5x1,2,3 for light day. Now that i read couple pages back this thread i am wondering am i doing this right?

Next is medium day and i plan to at least try to do 5x1,2,3,4.

I have the book and it says that you always try to do 5 ladders even on light day.

Just finished with 20kg bell last week and yesterday started new with 24kg and did 5x1,2,3 for light day. Now that i read couple pages back this thread i am wondering am i doing this right?

Next is medium day and i plan to at least try to do 5x1,2,3,4.

I have the book and it says that you always try to do 5 ladders even on light day.
Medium and light are based on heavy, so you would want to see what ladders you can do on heavy with the 24 then base the medium and light on that, then progress each week on heavy from there

@LarryB as someone who has done the ROP, this is always such a beautiful thing to look at, and something I believe should be bumped once per month.
I concur! I’m in the midsts of it rn. On week 9 where things really get serious! To be fair i stole that pic from someone else whom i think stole it from someone else.

This time through ROP has been really special tbh. I quit it with the 24 last year (right after a cycle with the 20k) when ingot golfers elbow. This time through I’ve stuck to the program (no jumping ahead) and respected the heck out of form/technique (especially the clean). Following to the letter has given me way better results than ever skipping ahead. Gotta build that base and execute perfectly. If every rep is perfect and full power, then there’s nothing wring with doing 3(1) on ypur first light day. You’ll miss it soon. One thing i did was i did the first couple if weeks half kneeling to train the press, and practiced cleans separately. Other thing i do to avoid golfers elbow/hand flexor butnout is to do just one pullup on each rung (one of my weaker lifts).

I have been working steadily on the ROP for a little under a year and have made great progress. I have pressed the 28 five time each arm and completed the ssst with the 16 (207 reps).

Currently I am back on the pm with intentions of restarting with the 28 for presses and the 20 for snatches In the new year.

i wanted to start a support group for those currently on the program. I thought it would be helpful to share tips tricks and progress. In my opinion until you have passed the rop there really are no other goals worth pursuing And too many people start this program and never finish it. i was hoping this thread could help people stay on track.

This program has it all and will certainly get you "entry level strong".

so please share your progress and let's get Strongfirst.
I passed the 100 snatch test in five minutes and have a 1/2 bw press of 48kg. Snatches started bothering my elbows and I wanted to work on barbell strength after passing my sfg1. I am now following plan strong cycles to get stronger and prepared for Strongman competition this year. Later this year I will compete for the first time. For now, just working on overall strength and condition. ROP is an awesome program but snatching 24kg for 200 reps takes really good elbows and shoulders that not everyone has. Just being able to swing 32kg 200x in ten minutes is excellent which is good enough for me for now without tearing up my body.

This time through ROP has been really special tbh. I quit it with the 24 last year (right after a cycle with the 20k) when ingot golfers elbow. This time through I’ve stuck to the program (no jumping ahead) and respected the heck out of form/technique (especially the clean). Following to the letter has given me way better results than ever skipping ahead. Gotta build that base and execute perfectly. If every rep is perfect and full power, then there’s nothing wring with doing 3(1) on ypur first light day. You’ll miss it soon. One thing i did was i did the first couple if weeks half kneeling to train the press, and practiced cleans separately. Other thing i do to avoid golfers elbow/hand flexor butnout is to do just one pullup on each rung (one of my weaker lifts).
I currently working through ROP with the 20kg which was a 9rep max both sides, I was planning on skipping some weeks if possible (I started with week 3) this is inspiring me to take my time and do them all, currently on Week 5

I currently working through ROP with the 20kg which was a 9rep max both sides, I was planning on skipping some weeks if possible (I started with week 3) this is inspiring me to take my time and do them all, currently on Week 5
I understand, I did that with the 20k too. Like i said half kneeling was a good option. Also i am getting the results i want (strength and LGN) by following the program outline (only one pull up per rung though). I also moved ballistics to my variety day.

I understand, I did that with the 20k too. Like i said half kneeling was a good option. Also i am getting the results i want (strength and LGN) by following the program outline (only one pull up per rung though). I also moved ballistics to my variety day.
In communication with Pavel and from personal experience and from the latest programming included with the 201 workshop, it is important to keep the ballistics in the same session. Before or after, or alternating.

I passed the 100 snatch test in five minutes and have a 1/2 bw press of 48kg. Snatches started bothering my elbows and I wanted to work on barbell strength after passing my sfg1. I am now following plan strong cycles to get stronger and prepared for Strongman competition this year. Later this year I will compete for the first time. For now, just working on overall strength and condition. ROP is an awesome program but snatching 24kg for 200 reps takes really good elbows and shoulders that not everyone has. Just being able to swing 32kg 200x in ten minutes is excellent which is good enough for me for now without tearing up my body.
I'm not in agreement with the suggestion that this requires special elbows or shoulders.

In communication with Pavel and from personal experience and from the latest programming included with the 201 workshop, it is important to keep the ballistics in the same session. Before or after, or alternating.
Thank you for the info! I’ve been easing it back in lately. I’m still not 100% recovered from a broken foot, so that was my reasoning. You have me sold though. Any reason as to why?

Thank you for the info! I’ve been easing it back in lately. I’m still not 100% recovered from a broken foot, so that was my reasoning. You have me sold though. Any reason as to why?
Of course we are talking about 'ideal' situations, right so keep that in mind. I think sometimes we can get lost in the details and can get pedantic.
Here's a quote from an email response I got from Pavel when I asked if the snatching is critical for pressing progress in RoP:
"Snatches and swings (especially snatches) have a great facilitating effect on presses if done before presses (not too much or hard). An easy heavy A+A session is ideal.

If done after, they still help by balancing out the muscular development."
Also, there are some interesting details in the Strong Endurance manual about the timing of conditioning sessions relative to strength training sessions. From memory you are better suited to do your conditioning first. I'd have to review the material for specifics. I remember something along the lines of conditioning actually burning the favorable hormones released during strength training as fuel if conditioning is done after strength training.. I'll take a look and get back to you with anything additional.

Of course we are talking about 'ideal' situations, right so keep that in mind. I think sometimes we can get lost in the details and can get pedantic.
Here's a quote from an email response I got from Pavel when I asked if the snatching is critical for pressing progress in RoP:

Also, there are some interesting details in the Strong Endurance manual about the timing of conditioning sessions relative to strength training sessions. From memory you are better suited to do your conditioning first. I'd have to review the material for specifics. I remember something along the lines of conditioning actually burning the favorable hormones released during strength training as fuel if conditioning is done after strength training.. I'll take a look and get back to you with anything additional.
I haven't read ETK in a long time but aren't the swings/snatches done after the press ladders?

Awesome response, thanks for the insight! My sessions are getting pretty long right now. What are people opinions about breaks (maybe big breaks) between ballistic/grind session. I get we’re talking “ideal” i just like to get into the weeds. I will of course continue to do what i can, when i can.

Last edited:
Awesome response, thanks for the insight! My sessions are getting pretty long right now. What are people opinions about breaks (maybe big breaks) between ballistic/grind session. I get we’re talking “ideal” i just like to get into the weeds. I will of course continue to do what i can, when i can.
I'm looking at page 142 in the SE manual. The section is titled "Session: Load's Compatibility". The material is actually related to optimal organization of hypertrophy and endurance training loads.

Back
Top Bottom