all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I plan on starting ROP next week with some GTG Pistol Squat practice on variety days.
But I have some questions.
1) I have heard that a typical session can take an hour easily when you add pullups. I was thinking of adding pullups only after the top rung, instead of every rung. So far example 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, 3L, 3R, 3 pullups. Could this work? Or would the volume of pullups be too low to make progress to the later days?
Yes. Do it. It is ok with low volume pullups. It's a press-oriented program.
2) I toy with the idea to alternate between one block of 13 weeks RoP and one block of Q&D of 8 weeks. Could this help to improve my snatches to reach the 200 reps in 10 minutes? Or would it be better to only run RoP? I don't have time for 5 full session, so it is not an option to run Q&D on variety days.
You will probably get through 1 cycle of RoP in 12 weeks. Here is the progression for presses I use to recommend
Screenshot_20230706-144629~2.png
If I were to change anything it would be, repeat week 9 two times.
Then do 3x3,5,7, progress in the same way to 5x3,5,7 and repeat that 2 more times.

Have done RoP with 40kg@73-76kg BW. I have not done my 5x3,5,7 with it.
Pressed 48@76kg BW. It works.

3) I'm in doubt how to run the snatches and swings the best. I was thinking of running an RM test. Then take the prescribed percentages of that amount and run that autoregulated for the amount of time prescribed by the dice? For example when I test 10rm and I need to do 60%, I do sets of 6 for the duration. Starting a new set when I can manage the talktest.
I would go by feel.
Snatches is training. Go 60% of what you feel is a "sort of max" and not a maxmax.
Same with swing-percentages.

I have not completed the SSST with 24kg though. Have done 180@10min (most recent try just to see how hard it would be) with 24kg.

Edit: oh rest times mentioned by Mark below. I rested 1min after 1 press, 2 after 2 presses... 5min after 5presses. One ladder took me about 15min.

Last edited:
Subject: Completing the Right of Passage with 28kg: My 14-week Journey

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share an exciting achievement with you all. I've just finished the Right of Passage (RoP) program using a 28kg kettlebell. This accomplishment took me 14 weeks in total, with one of those weeks sidelined due to a cold.

The progress I've made is huge. Before the RoP program, I could only press 32kg once per arm. Now, after the program, I can press 32kg seven times with my left arm and eight times with my right arm. .

The first few weeks were relatively relaxed as the volume was low, and the training sessions finished quite swiftly. However, towards the end, they took significantly longer. For the first nine weeks, I rested between the rungs of the ladder for the same duration as the number of repetitions on that rung – one minute after the first, two minutes after the second, and so on.

In the last four weeks, I started to rest based on my feeling, which significantly reduced my time. Occasionally, during the medium days, I intentionally rested only two minutes per rung to vary the stimuli.

For snatches and swings, I used a dice roll. If the dice showed a seven, I performed ten snatches or swings with auto-regulation and ten reps in a row. However, in the last few weeks, I barely did any swings and snatches, sticking to the minimum of 20 reps, sometimes with a lower weight than usual.

Tomorrow, I'll be undergoing the 5-minute snatch test. I'm curious to see if the strength I've gained can compensate for the lack of endurance. Last year, I completed the RoP with 24kg, doing a lot of snatches and a lot of cardio on the side, including at least one Judo session per week and nearly 8km running every week.

This time around, I barely did any cardio. In 14 weeks, I did Judo twice and only ran once. Last year, I managed 75 repetitions during the snatch test. If I manage more this time, it'll be proof that strength is more critical than cardio.

I'm certainly glad that the program is now over, as it became mentally very taxing. Up next for me is Kettlebell Strong. Another RoP round with 32kg would undoubtedly be beneficial, but I want to try something different.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the progress I've made. Can't wait to see where this journey takes me next!

EDIT: I managed 80reps in the snatch test today. I am a little bit disappointed. I thought I could reach the 100. But it is still an improvement. Especially if you consider that I didn't train for the snatch test for weeks.

Keep lifting,
KOW
Excellent work.

You mentioned resting 2 minutes between rungs on medium day. So I'm guessing you rested 3 minutes between the top rungs on heavy day??

Anyone run ROP Jurassic? Any obs compared to normal version?
Ran it last year with a 28. Is definitely quicker to get done. I ran through the program in about 5 weeks. Pressed the 40kg@90kgBW. Close to 1/2 but not yet there.

However in retrospect I should’ve gone slow and steady. I assume that lower weights were hiding some imbalances that propped up as the weights went up. Ended up hurting my shoulder.

I am planning to run ROP again with a 28 as I rebuild my strength back up. But this time I will be patient (will use the RoP original) and I will add pullups(or rows) to counter all the pressing.

My view is that if you already have tested the strength levels but lost it because you were focusing on other things, ROP Jurassic can be a nice top up to being strength back up. But if you are increasing your strength levels and heading into unchartered territories then it’s best to go slow and steady and get there! Just my 2 cents !

Do you think I will make progress on the program if I am in a caloric deficit? My main idea is to lose weight by at least 10-15 kg. I'm currently at about 33% body fat /that's what the machine measured at the doctor's office/ and I'm hoping that this fat will help fuel my workouts and recovery.

Do you think I will make progress on the program if I am in a caloric deficit? My main idea is to lose weight by at least 10-15 kg. I'm currently at about 33% body fat /that's what the machine measured at the doctor's office/ and I'm hoping that this fat will help fuel my workouts and recovery.
I think it’s a good mix of ballistics and grinds so if you have your nutrition on point I see no reason why you won’t lose weight.

You will most certainly lean down on the RoP depending on how you eat. I would also be wary on restricting calories too much because the RoP gets daunting near the end.

I think it’s a good mix of ballistics and grinds so if you have your nutrition on point I see no reason why you won’t lose weight.
I meant if losing that much weight and eating about 2000 calories a day would hinder strength progression. The last few weeks have been tough though. And the last heavy day you have 75 reps with one arm. I thought with that much fat I would be fine.

My ETK is exactly the same size as S&S and Q&D. Got all from Amazon.
Mine is not. My S&S 2.0 is an inch and a half longer, and an inch and a half wider than myETK I can post a picture if you want. This forum is not a good place for me to go into my other complaints about the 2018 printing of ETK, but if DD is a publishing company, and this is not a first print run, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I meant if losing that much weight and eating about 2000 calories a day would hinder strength progression. The last few weeks have been tough though. And the last heavy day you have 75 reps with one arm. I thought with that much fat I would be fine.
The grinds should maintain your strength!
And I suggest you start rather than worry about this fact. if you are using same kettlebell and doing same reps with less effort then you are stronger.

I've usually leaned out while on ROP, but it's been many years. If memory serves, I was also eating lean at the time.

What is it like increasing to the next bell (for the classic set: 16,24,32) in this program?

Once you can do 5 ladders with the 16/24 are you typically ready for the 24/32 or does it take more work/clever programming to get ready for the next bell?

Options I can think of myself, if that’s not the case, off top of my head:
  • Run again and add pull ups after each rung to improve upper body strength further (not sure if this would get next bell to correct RM though).
  • Take the same bell through The Giant 1.0-1.2 until the heavier bell is correct RM.
  • A suggestion I read earlier in the thread after a Google search: “Keep running with same bell and reduce rest periods for the pressing until doing full ladders (15 reps) in one go”.
Interested to see how others played this if it came up for anyone else. Or if there’s a ‘proper’ way to do it.

What is it like increasing to the next bell (for the classic set: 16,24,32) in this program?

Once you can do 5 ladders with the 16/24 are you typically ready for the 24/32 or does it take more work/clever programming to get ready for the next bell?

Options I can think of myself, if that’s not the case, off top of my head:
  • Run again and add pull ups after each rung to improve upper body strength further (not sure if this would get next bell to correct RM though).
  • Take the same bell through The Giant 1.0-1.2 until the heavier bell is correct RM.
  • A suggestion I read earlier in the thread after a Google search: “Keep running with same bell and reduce rest periods for the pressing until doing full ladders (15 reps) in one go”.
Interested to see how others played this if it came up for anyone else. Or if there’s a ‘proper’ way to do it.
Pavel released a "special report" detailing what you are after, I'm not sure how it was released or if it was a paid product, but I'm sure if you search for ETKB special report or ETKB bonus you will turn something up.

He gives several options and techniques to help you progress, from memory, in ETKB itself he recommends doing more low rep sets to help get you across the line.

And can the days be swapped and become heavy, light and intermediate in sequence.
Yeah, I think Pavel writes in RoP that just don't place Medium day direct in relation to Hard day.
I.e. Monday heavy, Tuesday Medium would be hard to even make work in the later weeks.One day in between is ok, but maybe you need to take two days off in later weeks.
E,M,H or H, M, E, or some other combination does not matter, in the end the important thing is what the training gets done, not the order of it or when it gets done.
By saying week 9 repeats twice what do you mean. Will you do a total of twice or a total of three times?
Like this (just an idea):
Week 9 H 5x1,2,3,4,5 (just get them done, 30min or 8 hrs does not matter)
Week 10 H 5x1,2,3,4,5 (faster time?)
Week 11 H 5x1,2,3,4,5 (faster time?)

Back
Top Bottom