all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

Yes. Do it. It is ok with low volume pullups. It's a press-oriented program.

You will probably get through 1 cycle of RoP in 12 weeks. Here is the progression for presses I use to recommend
View attachment 21911
If I were to change anything it would be, repeat week 9 two times.
Then do 3x3,5,7, progress in the same way to 5x3,5,7 and repeat that 2 more times.

Have done RoP with 40kg@73-76kg BW. I have not done my 5x3,5,7 with it.
Pressed 48@76kg BW. It works.

I would go by feel.
Snatches is training. Go 60% of what you feel is a "sort of max" and not a maxmax.
Same with swing-percentages.

I have not completed the SSST with 24kg though. Have done 180@10min (most recent try just to see how hard it would be) with 24kg.

Edit: oh rest times mentioned by Mark below. I rested 1min after 1 press, 2 after 2 presses... 5min after 5presses. One ladder took me about 15min.
This is one of the highest quality posts in this thread in a long time.

I want to ask one more thing. When for example you have 3 reps and you did a press on the first rep, how do you release the KB. You start first on the chest and then down for the next clean or straight down as is done with the snatch.
I do a light push press instead of a press. It gives me much more pleasure and more muscles of the body are involved. And I drop the KB straight down for the next clean.

I want to ask one more thing. When for example you have 3 reps and you did a press on the first rep, how do you release the KB. You start first on the chest and then down for the next clean or straight down as is done with the snatch.
I do a light push press instead of a press. It gives me much more pleasure and more muscles of the body are involved. And I drop the KB straight down for the next clean.
The program is written for a negative to the chest and then re-clean for a press. also push press should be ok but push press starts heading into a bit more ballistic movement than a grind.

what you are currently doing is a rev half snatch, which obviously is a great drill to fine tune the snatch technique. so if you are not training for that purpose you are better off to leverage the strength benefits you get from a negative, considering you are push pressing on the concentric. does that make sense?

The program is written for a negative to the chest and then re-clean for a press. also push press should be ok but push press starts heading into a bit more ballistic movement than a grind.

what you are currently doing is a rev half snatch, which obviously is a great drill to fine tune the snatch technique. so if you are not training for that purpose you are better off to leverage the strength benefits you get from a negative, considering you are push pressing on the concentric. does that make sense?
Yes, afterwards I saw it descend on the chest. I dropped straight down because my technique isn't very good and I wanted to avoid the double strain on the elbows that comes with going down first on the chest and then down for the next clean. But I will try to do it as written.

Yes, afterwards I saw it descend on the chest. I dropped straight down because my technique isn't very good and I wanted to avoid the double strain on the elbows that comes with going down first on the chest and then down for the next clean. But I will try to do it as written.
Also, if my memory serves right, you need to start with a bell that you can strict press 5-7 RM. So if you have a bell available then you are better off using that bell rather than push press.

Anyone run ROP Jurassic? Any obs compared to normal version?
I've been running it for a few weeks with 32kg presses. Honestly been finding it a bit brutal without having those light and medium days in there so I think I'm going to go back to the classic starting with 1 x (1,2,3,4) ladder on the heavy day. Feeling good on 123 ladders but there's just so much volume accumulated quickly it's tricky to recover.

I've been running it for a few weeks with 32kg presses. Honestly been finding it a bit brutal without having those light and medium days in there so I think I'm going to go back to the classic starting with 1 x (1,2,3,4) ladder on the heavy day. Feeling good on 123 ladders but there's just so much volume accumulated quickly it's tricky to recover.
What's your RM with the 32kg? From memory I seem to recall a 10RM bell being recommended for Jurassic, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

*Edit- I was wrong, see below*

Last edited:
What's your RM with the 32kg? From memory I seem to recall a 10RM bell being recommended for Jurassic, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Nope, still a 6-8 RM bell:

“The following ladder progression by Pavel predates his original “Right of Passage,” hence let us call it “Jurassic.” The ROP-J is just as effective—while being simpler.

Pick a bell you can strictly press about 6-8 times after one clean (6-8RM).”

Nope, still a 6-8 RM bell:

“The following ladder progression by Pavel predates his original “Right of Passage,” hence let us call it “Jurassic.” The ROP-J is just as effective—while being simpler.

Pick a bell you can strictly press about 6-8 times after one clean (6-8RM).”
Is that from the Kettlebell 201 course? I keep thinking about taking that course.

Yes, it is from the KB 201 live class. Well worth going if you can. I live close enough to Oakland's Most Powerful so was lucky enough to attend with I think 6 SFG's, 3 of which are Elite trainers.
Rad. I occasionally check for one in my area. I haven't found one, but don't check all the time. I could have missed one.

Hello... just started the Jurassic ROP (first time). Currently 12 sessions in, doing 9 1,2,3 ladders.
Feeling a twinge on my right inner elbow. Right side is stronger, and I feel my clean technique is probably better on my left.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello... just started the Jurassic ROP (first time). Currently 12 sessions in, doing 9 1,2,3 ladders.
Feeling a twinge on my right inner elbow. Right side is stronger, and I feel my clean technique is probably better on my left.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Yes. Take back off days! A few days of something that does not aggregate it.

2h swings and nothing else.
Then try again with military presses (no reclean in between).
If that works, a few sessions after add the clean.
If that works, after a few sessions add the rest of what is in the program.

Yes. Take back off days! A few days of something that does not aggregate it.

2h swings and nothing else.
Then try again with military presses (no reclean in between).
If that works, a few sessions after add the clean.
If that works, after a few sessions add the rest of what is in the program.
Thank you!
But... won't this just come back after a while again?

I'm sorry if my question sounds stupid, but is it always when we raise the KB to the chest that we do it with a clean one? When I had very little experience with KB I performed it without swinging. It looked like something where I lift it straight up from the floor and spin it on my chest. Maybe it's still clean, but executed incorrectly. It's more like a pull to the chest. Is it always advisable when you take the KB to the chest to be with a clean one?
Just to clarify. I'm talking about when I won't do more than one rep of a clean and press. Let's say I'll be performing singles on the press. For example, I take it from the floor, do a press and leave it on the floor again. Now I'm thinking that there is a difference because with a clean the hip joint is involved, and the option I'm talking about and the KB is not in front of you and under you somehow the push will come more from the hips. It and my version is practically clean, but as I said in a different performance style or incorrectly performed.

Last edited:
Thank you!
My big advice is to turn heavy day into an all morning, or afternoon affair. I recently ran “classic ROP” with a 32k and thats how I made it through. I usually skipped ballistics that day (maybe do it the next day) or kept it to swings, often two handed.

I would find some menial tasks that i had to do and work on it between sets. It never took me longer to do dishes, laundry, cleaning etc. but i got the reps in np and got some stuff done around the house/yard.

Thank you!
While I work as a physio in real life, this is not medical advice.

Sounds spontaneously like a over-use kind of pain,
It could be lots of things, easiest is just to back off and rebuild.

(In my opinion) RoP Jurassic is like a worse version of RoP. It is always more and more and more and more. You need back-off days, you can't always add more 3 days a week.

Let's just look at RoP presses.
First week heavy day is 18presses per arm. Last heavy is 75 per arm. That's 150 cleans, then 150 presses. Pew , that's a lot of work for a shoulder and elbow.
And then people get obsessed of adding pull ups (read "more") to it... That's another 75 hard stresses on a shoulder and an elbow.

More is not always better, sometimes more is just more, and sometimes more is worse.

An option if the clean is the issue (clean is just an example) would be to do the presses without the clean. You can train technique with it before pressing or on off-days ("variety" days).

Maybe a better explanation would be classify things as "High skill" and "Low skill".
Crossfit does not understand the difference.
Klokov can do Olympic Cleans with a fixed weight, for time, for reps, while someone is shouting at them. I have done 10 Cleans with a barbell in my entire life... I cannot do that. For Klokov it's a low skill movement, for me it's a high skill movement. I might have to do assault bike as a low skill movement while someone shouts (crossfit loves shouting) at me get a "work out".

Do high skill movements while rested and clear in the head.

Thank you!
To be clear, I'm not doing a macho-ROP. I'm doing the 63 yr old version, where I've learned I need to protect my recovery and just try not to push.... So, three days a week only, and only the single C&P. Other 3 days just OS.

So, I started with ladders of 1,2,3, until I get to 10 sets. *60 presses total* Using a 16k bell

And I (thought I) was taking my time.... so, only at session 12 was I doing 9 sets of 1,2,3....

My goal was to progress per Louka's video - but at a slower pace:

Thank you!
To be clear, I'm not doing a macho-ROP. I'm doing the 63 yr old version, where I've learned I need to protect my recovery and just try not to push.... So, three days a week only, and only the single C&P. Other 3 days just OS.

So, I started with ladders of 1,2,3, until I get to 10 sets. *60 presses total* Using a 16k bell

And I (thought I) was taking my time.... so, only at session 12 was I doing 9 sets of 1,2,3....

My goal was to progress per Louka's video - but at a slower pace:

Were you using light days? They are in the program…

Back
Top Bottom