all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

No, I wasn't. I'm embarrassed to say that my whole knowledge of the program is from that video.
Don’t be too hard on yourself.

Light days are built on Jurassic ROP in the sense that when you feel you are dragging your tail you should do the same reps you were doing with a kb one size lighter.

This said I concur with @Joel the Savage I find “classic” ROP much more foolproof, H, M, L days are built in weekly. FWIW I’m not that good at going by feeL myself…

Light days are built on Jurassic ROP in the sense that when you feel you are dragging your tail you should do the same reps you were doing with a kb one size lighter.
I hadn't known that - about dropping down a bell.
-> that means 4kg for the C&P?

FWIW I’m not that good at going by feeL myself…
I think that's my problem as well. I probably need to stay at the number of reps/sets I'm at for at least another week after I feel I'm ready to move up.

No rush, really, is there?

Thank you!
To be clear, I'm not doing a macho-ROP. I'm doing the 63 yr old version, where I've learned I need to protect my recovery and just try not to push.... So, three days a week only, and only the single C&P. Other 3 days just OS.

So, I started with ladders of 1,2,3, until I get to 10 sets. *60 presses total* Using a 16k bell

And I (thought I) was taking my time.... so, only at session 12 was I doing 9 sets of 1,2,3....
I'm almost finished with my second round of ROP Jurassic this summers.

For what it's worth, the week with 8,9 and 10 ladders to three is the densest week and by far the "hardest."

I would push through the 10 day and then start at one ladder to four and maybe repeat that day with an 8 then 12 then back to 16.
That gives you a solid deload weak before pushing through the ladders of four.

I am using the program as a focus on weighted pullups, so YMMV. I have found that mixing the presses and pulls keeps my elbows happier than doing them separately.

I also do finger extensions with a rubber band between every ladder during my rest period. This should also help the elbows.

That's worth a lot, actually. I thought I was a wuss for having a problem early on.

Nice idea. Why does that help the elbow?
I'm not a physio, but it's been suggested by Pavel and I've seen the same/similar suggestions in a climbing training context.

My "basic" guess is that the inner forearm is gonna get some work with both squeezing the bell handle as well as the load on the eccentric of each clean. Giving the extensors some work as well will keep the niggles at bay.

This said I concur with @Joel the Savage I find “classic” ROP much more foolproof, H, M, L days are built in weekly
A few posts earlier in the same thread I've shared my experience and why I agree with this statement. Sometimes I wonder if the best programs were already written in ETK and ROTK and everything else is just a derivative of those two :D Not to undermine Plan strong in any way but for 80% of the people those 2 programs would be sufficient IMO. Maybe add S&S on a couple of variety days.

A few posts earlier in the same thread I've shared my experience and why I agree with this statement. Sometimes I wonder if the best programs were already written in ETK and ROTK and everything else is just a derivative of those two :D Not to undermine Plan strong in any way but for 80% of the people those 2 programs would be sufficient IMO. Maybe add S&S on a couple of variety days.
They use the term 'polishing the chrome' for a reason.

What's your RM with the 32kg? From memory I seem to recall a 10RM bell being recommended for Jurassic, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

*Edit- I was wrong, see below*
The video I watched talked about an 8RM, I was more like 7 which I felt was close enough.

Regardless, it feels like a protocol for a higher RM than the classic.

Hello all!
Following up to my post from 2 weeks ago (seems like much longer)
I still have some soreness for example if I bend my arm and push against my palm, trying to push the arm into extension. (I have no range of motion problems).

Any thoughts if now I could start up with cheat-cleans and just get back into the presses?
Or should I wait til the soreness is just a memory...

Hello all!
Following up to my post from 2 weeks ago (seems like much longer)
I still have some soreness for example if I bend my arm and push against my palm, trying to push the arm into extension. (I have no range of motion problems).

Any thoughts if now I could start up with cheat-cleans and just get back into the presses?
Or should I wait til the soreness is just a memory...
Well. Personally I don't care that much about pain IF it gets better with time. If I have 7/10 pain during training today BUT I have 6/10 next week. Things are getting better and I continue.

If it is the same next week or the week after I need to change something up.

If it gets worse something is wrong.

If the clean is the problem... if I continue to use myself as the example have overextended my elbows so many times during MMA/Grappling (that I have "cauliflower elbows") and cannot extend them all the way. Sometimes the bottom portion of a snatch/clean "wack " them and I get pain. Just... Don't do the 1-h clean then, pistol grip-clean it with two hands.

Started ROP on the 31st of July with the 16, which was around my 11RM for C+P, switched to ROP jurassic this last week for 3 sessions.

Feeling strong today so did an RM test with the 20kg and got a solid 8 on the LHS, with a less solid 9th rep, plus a single with the 24kg.

My take on the progression for ROP is to move up to the next heavier bell if you can press it more than 5 times on a test day - this is still the case yes?

Since my goal is strength more so than hypertrophy, I'm thinking that I should be switching to the heavier bell to keep pursuing that, correct?

Started ROP on the 31st of July with the 16, which was around my 11RM for C+P, switched to ROP jurassic this last week for 3 sessions.

Feeling strong today so did an RM test with the 20kg and got a solid 8 on the LHS, with a less solid 9th rep, plus a single with the 24kg.

My take on the progression for ROP is to move up to the next heavier bell if you can press it more than 5 times on a test day - this is still the case yes?

Since my goal is strength more so than hypertrophy, I'm thinking that I should be switching to the heavier bell to keep pursuing that, correct?
I remember interpreting the ROP the same way you did. I ran through the ROP several times the first few years I used kettlebells.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all....I would do an occasional test but I found that what worked best for me was finishing up the program with the bell I started with. I switched my focus to testing after the 12 weeks and accumulating the volumewith each bell as I went upward in weight.

Would it work for other lifts? Double kb? Or barbell lifts?
I don’t have the book (because I hate ebooks and physical copies are stupid expensive) but my understanding is that the program in Return of the Kettlebell is very similar to RoP but with double KBs.

I’m working my way through RoP with 32kg right now, started after passing my SFG snatch test in mid-July. Once I’ve hit my half-bodyweight press (and perhaps also the Beast) then I may look into RotK.

Back
Top Bottom