all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP support group

I don’t have the book (because I hate ebooks and physical copies are stupid expensive) but my understanding is that the program in Return of the Kettlebell is very similar to RoP but with double KBs.

I’m working my way through RoP with 32kg right now, started after passing my SFG snatch test in mid-July. Once I’ve hit my half-bodyweight press (and perhaps also the Beast) then I may look into RotK.
The ROTK was a pretty rough program but it could make you stronger for sure.

I remember interpreting the ROP the same way you did. I ran through the ROP several times the first few years I used kettlebells.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all....I would do an occasional test but I found that what worked best for me was finishing up the program with the bell I started with. I switched my focus to testing after the 12 weeks and accumulating the volumewith each bell as I went upward in weight.
Thanks for the input John, I think as much as I want to pursue the 20kg, after having a session with it today I will finish off with the 16kg first, and continue to work on my clean and snatch technique.

Last edited:
We could probably count on one hand those who actually completed the standards.
Maybe so, but it was a good program. I think if you stick with something for a long enough period of time it can work.

The bodyweight press I could do (cleaned first without the snatch) but I struggled with 21 reps of 32s in the hardstyle clean and jerk. My form broke down after like 10.

I then started playing around with KB Strong and other Geoff N programs and never went back to it.

Six weeks complete on ROP with 20kg. My shoulders mobility feels great dialing in the groove. Neck and spine are healing.
Variety days are ten 24kg tgu, and 50 swings with the 32kg.
I did not expect the clean to have such a learning curve. I need to really cue to hinge on the downswing.
I will test the 24kg press for five on my last ladder of Heavy Day. The volume on the 20kg is plenty.

Six weeks complete on ROP with 20kg. My shoulders mobility feels great dialing in the groove. Neck and spine are healing.
Variety days are ten 24kg tgu, and 50 swings with the 32kg.
I did not expect the clean to have such a learning curve. I need to really cue to hinge on the downswing.
I will test the 24kg press for five on my last ladder of Heavy Day. The volume on the 20kg is plenty.
Great work, what was your RM with the 24kg before starting with the 20kg?

Did it feel like it was in your rear shoulder area? For some reason i seem to get it there, but regular C+P seems to really help it
No. It was right on the top of the delt. I agree that regular presses has a healing effect once the groove is grooved.

A question for those who have worked in the next bell up in the 1 rep rung, did you do it only once reaching 5x(12345) with your ladder bell, or as soon as you could press it for a single?

A question for those who have worked in the next bell up in the 1 rep rung, did you do it only once reaching 5x(12345) with your ladder bell, or as soon as you could press it for a single?
If you have access to many small jumps (2-ish kg?) between bells you can always go up in a progression, something like this session for session
3x1 rep
6x1 rep
3x2
5-6x2
3x3
3x1,2,3 (if you can do 3x1,2,3 you can try yo up a bell size)
Up the bell, start over

Dan John posted a progression something like this, don't remember where I read it though.

If you have access to many small jumps (2-ish kg?) between bells you can always go up in a progression, something like this session for session
3x1 rep
6x1 rep
3x2
5-6x2
3x3
3x1,2,3 (if you can do 3x1,2,3 you can try yo up a bell size)
Up the bell, start over

Dan John posted a progression something like this, don't remember where I read it though.
I assume this is purely with the next bell up and not completing the ladders with your 'working bell'?

I assume this is purely with the next bell up and not completing the ladders with your 'working bell'?
In that example yes.

But ut could also be a working week by week example how to progress to being able to use the next bell for a RoP-program.
You can do 24kg 5x1,2,3,4,5 but not 3x1,2,3 with 32. Byt you can do singles with 32.

Or let's say you can complete your 5x1,2,3,4,5 but can't do much than singles with your next bell.
Then, add some work with the heavier bell during those ladders. But maybe
Heavy bell 1, 2, lighter bell 3,4, 5.
Next ladder heavy bell 1, lighter bell 2,3,4,5
Last ladder heavy bell fail, lighter bell 2,3,4,5
When you can do 3x1,2,3 start RoP with it.

After years of S&S and Q&D I decide to go against the mainstream and not to start AXE but ROP instead.
It must been least 10 years since I last time ran ROP.
I did first medium session today and man it felt good. Looking foward to saturday, a heavy day.
Embrace the grind!
What weight are you running it with?

I never understood what day to start the program. Everyone gives different advice, and the book also confuses me. For example, if I train on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, how should I distribute the days. Heavy-Light-Intermediate or Light-Intermediate-Heavy. I think the first option is better because you will have two days of rest before a Heavy day.

I never understood what day to start the program. Everyone gives different advice, and the book also confuses me. For example, if I train on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, how should I distribute the days. Heavy-Light-Intermediate or Light-Intermediate-Heavy. I think the first option is better because you will have two days of rest before a Heavy day.
It doesn't matter. You can organize the week however you feel fit. There's no set in stone schedule.

Back
Top Bottom