all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rotator Cuff Tear: Returning to the workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SySimple

First Post
I'm 5 months into my Rotator Cuff Tear rehab of my Right Shoulder. I've been doing the S&S plan for the last 6 weeks. I started with 12 kg for the one arm swings and have started mixing in the 16 kg for my left shoulder (good). At one point should I consider going up in weight for my surgically repaired shoulder? 12 kg is getting pretty easy but not sure if there is a plan anyone has followed. So I'm looking for some best practices or suggestions.

With two arm swings, I'm able to do 20kg.

On my getups, I stared with 4 kg and I'm up to 8kg on the right shoulder. Any thoughts on time at this specific weight before progressing.

@SySimple, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

After surgery, follow your doctor's advice. If you have permission to make these decisions on your own, then you'll have to trust your own judgement. The worst outcome of going too heavy too soon is reinjury. Staying with the same weight too long is a far better side on which to err.

-S-

After my most recent rotator cuff surgery (I've had repairs on both sides), once I was out of the sling, I did a lot of swings and snatches on my uninjured side, basically the same weight and volume I would normally split between sides, but all with my good arm. I think this helped my recovery, and my injured arm caught up quickly once I was cleared to resume normal training (no dreaded "imbalances").

But when I was, there were no restrictions whatsoever.
This was the case with me as well. When I was cleared, I was cleared. After my most recent surgery, I actually did a lot of self-designed rehab in addition to the prescribed rehab -- but only with approval from my doctor and therapists, so I had medical clearance for everything, even if it wasn't prescribed. And I got a much better result than the first side, even though the injury was more severe.

Key points:
--Do your rehab as prescribed.
--Get clearance for anything else and stay within prescribed restrictions (if any).
--If you are cleared for normal training, progress as you normally would.
--Listen to your body and use good judgment.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom