all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S 'maintenance frequency'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Amen to that!
To tell you the truth I'm kind of annoyed that judo gets in the way of my S&S training.

S&S is its own worthy adventure. I'm also not a convert to judo as a competitive sport. "Je m'en fiche" as we say in French. I have a career already so winning some more competitions doesn't mean anything to me. Judo is exercise, self-defence training maintenance, some excitement and a bit of socialization, but not least a place to manifest strength gains in an entertaining way. It's its own interesting challenge and adventure. S&S is its own, and deadlifting, double kettlebell front squats, ROP etc, their own adventures.

It is interesting that you discriminate the two in this way - that you can do the Simple standard either because the weight is light or because you are well conditioned. I think it cannot be seperated. As you get stronger, you improve your work capacity with weights that are lighter.

No argument, the line is definitely fuzzy. To me, conditioning has some aspect of cardiac health. I guess, to take it to the extreme case... a test of how many snatches you could do in 5 minutes with a 10# bell wouldn't be a great measure of your conditioning, I think, it would just be a test of your tolerance for moving your arms up and down.

At the risk of starting more passionate discussion...
I believe we don't necessarily have a universally agreed upon definition of what 'conditioning' means.
Personally when I hear the term conditioning, my first reaction is "conditioning for what?"

Absolutely.

No argument, the line is definitely fuzzy. To me, conditioning has some aspect of cardiac health. I guess, to take it to the extreme case... a test of how many snatches you could do in 5 minutes with a 10# bell wouldn't be a great measure of your conditioning, I think, it would just be a test of your tolerance for moving your arms up and down.
To me that sounds no different than being strong. If we consider performing a Simple standard as a good arbitrary measure of "conditioning" or "cardiac health" (whatever that is), and you are so strong that you can do it on any given day, than you are in good "cardiac health" and you are "well conditioned".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom