all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Mechanics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The Nail

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi,
Anybody know of any literature on the mechanics of the swing and the turkish getup?

Thanks

Edit: I'm looking for kinesiology/movement mechanics type literature.

Last edited:
for the turkish getup think about getting kalo sthenos: kettlebells from the ground up. it helped me tremendously with my getups. spending time with that dvd and practicing some of the drills from it i was able to go from a shaky 16kg getup to a clean 40kg getup on each side (this took me a little over 9 months).

there are some good strongfirst youtube videos that can be very helpful for your swing

The dvd i recommended is by grey cook, one of the foremost physical therapists and movement experts. It shows the mechnics of the turkish getup and is not a workout program.

Not sure if that makes a difference

Are you looking for research articles or just an article that explains the kinesiology and movement associated with the swing and get up?

Optimizing Back Health With the Kettlebell Swing - StrongFirst - Here's a swing article explaining arguably the best study on kettlebells to date. It essentially says that swings can be facilitative or debilitative to the lower back due to the posterior shear force placed on the lower back. For your purpose it gives you a list of muscles worked and what muscles it stresses to a high degree - hamstrings and glutes. it also has a case study on Pavel showing not only does he talk the talk; he can also walk the walk - generating maximal voluntary contraction of 150% which is almost double what the subjects in the study managed.

the forgotten benefits of the turkish get-up - StrongFirst essentially an article on the many, but not an exhaustive list of benefits of the get up

If you want to read a literature review on kettlebell research bret contreras and chris Beardsley published one in the journal of strength and conditioning research a couple of years ago. A lot of the studies looked at the biomechanics of the swing. I'll try to post a link to it later on when I have access to my computer if you're interested.

@RobbieF, thanks for the reply! Those links are stellar. As for what I'm looking for - I'm looking for anything along those lines... :)
Books, online articles, podcasts, research articles, kinesiology & movement...any format.

In short: I'm fascinated that S&S has me feeling great.

@The Nail I am preparing an article for StrongFirst called "In-Between Simple & Sinister". Heavier weights gave me some excellent lessons about get-up and swing mechanics, something which I would not "discover" with the lighter weights. It will take time, please stay tuned. For sneak preview please check out some of the tips and cues in my training blog (link in the signature).

@Pavel Macek, your article sounds great. I look forward to reading it.
Your training log is one that I check every day; I think it's where I got the 'learn something every training session' idea from, and why I post one thing I learned every day in my training log.

Some interesting perspectives from Bret Contreras here. Note, the experiments he conducted were on himself and his clients, who I would imagine, would have the ability activate their hamstrings and glutes more than most due to his obsession with glutes! Anyway, still some interesting stuff here: Kettlebell Swings: Go Heavier for Greater Glute and Hamstring Activation | Bret Contreras

From the article the biggest statement to note:
Swings produced a large horizontal ground reaction force
Contreras hypothesised that swings would produce a greater horizontal ground reaction force than Olympic lifts and jump squats. What this means in a practical sense is that kb swings could potentially improve movements with a large horizontal forces such as sprinting, rucking in rugby, long jump, etc. However, the kb swing has not been researched to show an improvement in sprinting mechanics or any other movements. Moreover, studies comparing exercises with a large horizontal GRF would be interesting: swings, hip thrusts, deadlifts, broad jump etc.

Researchers Lake and Lauder, showed that 32kg kettlebell swings had a large horizontal component and larger net impulse (impulse = force x time) compared to back squats and squat jump. Essentially, impulse is your ability to apply force quickly, which is important in any power sport.

However, as Contreras noted in his article, there is a "sweet-spot" in loading the swing for power production. In the aforementioned study the researchers used a 16kg, 24kg and 32kg. Peak and mean propulsion phase power comparing 32kg swings and squat jumps were similar but, when the participants used the lighter kettlebells the jump squat power was greater.

What I would've liked to see in this article is a 40kg and a 48kg kettlebell used. I reckon their would be a drop off in power generated as there is more than likely due to the previously mentioned sweet-spot in power production. This would go a long way in helping loading parameters in the kb swing.

Lake, J.P., and Lauder, M.A. (2012). Mechanical demands of kettlebell swing exercise, Journal of Strength Conditioning Research. 26(12), pp. 3209-3216.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom