all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Simple or Sinister Standard: Who's going to do it in 2018?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Aiming to achieve SIMPLE here and maintain consistency and balance in training and life. Antifragile is the word that keeps popping up in my mind when I think on my 2018 training goals.

Currently completing 100 1H swings with 24kg sub 7 minutes. TGUs are still a weak point bc of knee pain and playing around with flooring ideas and technique.

Excited to see everyone's work in progress!
You didn't state what part of the get up is causing knee pain but I have noticed that many people adjust their technique because of that issue. There are different variations that people use instead of the windshield wiper on the bottom if that is the problem.
Best of luck,

I supposed to achieve simple in 2017, but I stalled after few months and did gs-stuff, pressed 24kg 20 times and other stuff like that.
I start s&s again after my current phase and work towards simple. I’ll do my swings with 32kg and get ups with 24/32 from start so hopefully I achieve simple pretty soon.
Propably I don’t achieve it because it seems that my knees don’t like get ups anymore. :D
What part of the get up is bothering your knees?

Shooting for Solid, but for 2018 the goal is just do S&S as morning recharge with 40kg almost every weekday. As I did Simple in 2016 (rushed a bit ), the goal doesnt seems big, but it realy is.

Propably windshield wiper... I’m currently exploring other versions.
I think there was a blog post written about a variation. I learned about it when I was watching a Sinister video by Hyun Jin Choi. I didn't try the variation because the windshield wiper doesn't bother me. I did start practicing with long pants on because the windshield wiper was causing a problem with the skin on my knee.

@Robert Noftz I have Osgood-Schlatter on my Lt. knee so any kneeling position causes pain. Was thinking of performing on gymnastics pad or wear knee pads but worried it may alter the desired movement. Tried today on my current flooring just with 12kg and still painful. Have been doing pressing sets instead of TGU but would like to complete the official SIMPLE standard. Osgood condition means I have an avulsion Fx just below my patella (large bump) and hurts when I put weight on it. There are no limitations or pain with the actual movements.

It's on my list. Been focusing on bodyweight skills for a year and a half. Need to simplify my training even more in the coming months and am confident "Sinister" can be achieved by December 2018. I'll need to recert my SFL next year so will test my lifts in the spring and make any programming adjustments necessary. Am hoping 2 days of Easy Strength (and by easy I mean EASY) and 4 days S&S per week will do the trick.

I also have Osgood-Schlatter, same knee. I have knee braces & mats to overcome this pain. Focus on your form, and the knee pad/brace/mat will not impact your form.

@Robert Noftz I have Osgood-Schlatter on my Lt. knee so any kneeling position causes pain. Was thinking of performing on gymnastics pad or wear knee pads but worried it may alter the desired movement. Tried today on my current flooring just with 12kg and still painful. Have been doing pressing sets instead of TGU but would like to complete the official SIMPLE standard. Osgood condition means I have an avulsion Fx just below my patella (large bump) and hurts when I put weight on it. There are no limitations or pain with the actual movements.

Knee pads work well for many of us, although it might need some time to get used too.

I have some troubles with my knees when getting up from the lunge position. That was the main reason of quitting with the s&s... And I am very sad about it...

Respect to those that have stopped drinking, this year or any other year!

I am aiming for Simple Goal 2018. I am confident that it is within my reach, perhaps in the first quarter of the year. I do not plan to move up in weight if/when it's achieved. I want my 32kg swing and getup to be solid, and have dedicated all of 2018 to it. The only other strength project I have in mind, is the OAOLPU by december 2018, if I have the money and the skill I will attend the SFB in Venice.

Best of luck to all!

2018 is the year I begin my journey to Simple and, eventually, Sinister. I may not reach Simple this year, but when I look back in a year's time I will be much closer to it than I am now. Mostly I want to explore the process - diving deeply into the movements and their techniques, exploring them to their fullest. If I do that, then I feel confident that the requisite weights will be there waiting for me when I am ready.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom