all posts post new thread

Simple & Sinister - General discussion

Yeah, I'm toying with the idea of ditching barbell training entirely and then my program for the forseeable being the the 2 x 6km slow runs weekly I do home from work and then cycle A&A, S&S, Q&D and Iron Cardio in blocks (sometimes overlapping slightly) 4-6 sessions a week.
What is actually the A+A program and where can I find more information? My intro to KB was through S&S.

What is actually the A+A program and where can I find more information? My intro to KB was through S&S.

There is a book in the works also.

I've taken and adapted from stuff on here. I do:
  • 5 x kettlebell snatches (1H alternate sides) or 7 x kettlebell swings (2H) EMOM for 20-50 minutes.
I use a 24kg for snatches and 40kg for swings, both single KBs. Works out at about 12-15 seconds work, then 48-45 seconds rest. I might for example do something like:
  • Week 1: 20, 22, 24, 26 mins.
  • Week 2: 22, 24, 26, 28 mins
But depends on how many sessions I do, might even do a whole week of 20 min, then next week 22 mins, etc. or 20, 22, 24 mins then 22, 24, 26 mins if doing 3 sessions a week.

At the moment I'm doing 6 sessions a week: 3 x S&S (but with TGUs subbed with alt sides clean, press, squat) and 3 x A&A.

Background is 51 year old, 177cm & 79kg b/w, long history of various training (running, mountaineering, military, rucking, Crossfit, barbell work) but now tend to train for overall health, fitness and longevity rather than chasing numbers or specific goals.

Last edited:
Folks, did anyone do S&S from SFKB program?
After switching from 5 reps on the minute to 5 reps on 30 seconds, how much did your volume drop?
The idea is that we are passing the talk test. That is very achievable with 5 reps on the minute.
But on 30 sec, I would say that I would drop right down to 10 sets from 20 sets. It's 50 total reps per session instead of a 100. Sure, I can do my 20 sets on 30 sec. I will not be gasping for air, - but I won't be passing the talk test either.
What was your experience when switching to 5 reps on 30'?
Maybe I am doing it wrong, and dropping to 50 total reps is actually ok... I was not breathing hard at all at 5 reps on the minute.

After switching from 5 reps on the minute to 5 reps on 30 seconds, how much did your volume drop?
The idea is that we are passing the talk test. That is very achievable with 5 reps on the minute.
But on 30 sec, I would say that I would drop right down to 10 sets from 20 sets. It's 50 total reps per session instead of a 100. Sure, I can do my 20 sets on 30 sec. I will not be gasping for air, - but I won't be passing the talk test either.
Maybe I am doing it wrong, and dropping to 50 total reps is actually ok... I was not breathing hard at all at 5 reps on the minute.
I have to admit I didn't follow the SFKB program for very long, but I experienced the same you did. I managed 20 min every 60 seconds pretty easily with a 28kg. The first session I did every 30 seconds I only got in 7 minutes, when I followed the talk test. I think this is normal, I guess that's why the program states to increase the weight and go back to 5 every 60 seconds if you didn't make progress for 3 weeks when you do every 30 seconds. This rules doesn't apply to 60 seconds.

KBSF swing protocol;
20 sets EMOM to 24 sets E30O30 on first switch down.
Grip was limiting factor.

The every :30" protocol is just a peaking type program... You're not supposed to even come close to the OTM due to doubling your "reps per minute" (RPM)

that's why once you stall out on the E:30 protocol you either add weight and go back to OTM for 20min or push it to OTM for 40min

I would push to the 40min mark x5 OTM.. that should make transitioning to S&S easier

I started the Surfing Sinister from @pavelmacek a little more then two weeks ago.

For a long time I have the goal of reaching (at least) timeless sinister, but after doing the 20 weeks of 32-40 in our first lockdown, I didn't like the feeling of starting at beginning of the step-cycle again.

The surfing version is exactly what I need now!

- timer per 45 minutes: timers beeps, session over as is.
- warm up: 5 prying goblet squat with the 16, arm bar both sides, FMS glute bridge (hand chopped in hip), goblet squat with swing weight, half kneeling Halo both sides, FMS glute bridge, 5 goblet squats with swing weight, tall kneeling halo's, FMS glute bridge.
- Surfing Sinister per die roll as written.
- One set of 5 with the remaining SFG 1 skills with my lowest intensity bell (24) as skill training.

So far, never reached the 45 minutes, around 10-1 minute left when I'm finished. I try to do 5 sessions per week, with 2 active recovery with the Ground Force Method: General mobility.

Folks, just to be sure: the classic S&S practice, timeless. 10x10 swings with the talk test - does it qualify as A+A training?
Or do we have to stick with lower reps - say, 5x20?
My set of 5 swings (with the setup for it) lasts about 15 sec. Those 5 reps (without a setup) - shorter of course.
A set of 10 will be longer, of course.

Apologies for the noob question.

Folks, just to be sure: the classic S&S practice, timeless. 10x10 swings with the talk test - does it qualify as A+A training?
My set of 5 swings (with the setup for it) lasts about 15 sec. Those 5 reps (without a setup) - shorter of course.

You need to check out @Harald Motz threads and also references to what @Al Ciampa has written. i don't have it handy now, but spend some time on that.

Personally, I needed more recovery time from S&S and (to make a long story short) and I am kind of time starved. I contacted Harald - and told him that i have 20 min a day and have 3 days a week for kb (with the other days for bw/OS).

He suggested sets of 5 OTM- since you can do 5 swings in 15 sec or less, and that keeps you under the threshold... And to wave the stets each session - 1 day 18, on 24, one 20.

I've loved each session... I feel energized and not depleted. And i was feeling depleted after close to a year of S&S swings....

I don't consider S&S as A+A... to me A+A requires HEAVY weight that forces maximum power, thus can't really last past 10-12 second range

S&S to me is more of a hypertophy/foundational type program IMO. The 10s in S&S once you get to a certain level definitely are not A+A

The longer you rest - the more Alactic it is.
The shorter you rest - the less Alactic it is.

Well, as a follow-up - why do we swing for 10 times? I know, that Pavel has written that it seems to be the max number before the power drops. And the hypertrophy, which I personally don't believe - otherwise everyone would be jacked.
Are there any other compelling reasons - why do we swing 10x10?

Ah - and also I wonder about the step loading. It's seems to me that one of the problems step loading is trying to solve - a limited amount of bells. Do your sets - upgrade to another bell, eventually get another one. That is sweet. I just wonder - how close am I to the truth.

Ah - and also I wonder about the step loading. It's seems to me that one of the problems step loading is trying to solve - a limited amount of bells. Do your sets - upgrade to another bell, eventually get another one. That is sweet. I just wonder - how close am I to the truth.
Cos it works.
Perhaps you can find an additive manufacturer and try the Milo approach instead.

@Pete L , - everything works. Linear progression works. Heavy-Light-Medium works. Bodybuilding top set - back-off set setup works.
For me - if I read "just do this" (10 sets of 10), it's natural to ask: "But why?"
I do not ask it as: "Why should I do it?" I ask it as: "If I know why I do it, I can do it better."

@Pavel.Kosenkov I asked a similar questions about A+A in another thread and got some helpful answers. S&S swings as A+A Short answer, the approach to rest (talk test) is very much A+A but would normally do A+A for 5 or so reps with a heavier weight.

@Pavel.Kosenkov I asked a similar questions about A+A in another thread and got some helpful answers. S&S swings as A+A Short answer, the approach to rest (talk test) is very much A+A but would normally do A+A for 5 or so reps with a heavier weight.
Thank you - I have figured it's easier to read The Quick And The Dead. There are chapters on 10x10 reloaded.
I have not read everything, but at the first glance:
Working with reps instead of seconds eliminates the headache of customizing the load for individual athletes and for different muscle groups for a given athlete—the upper body tends to be faster twitch than the lower body. The more explosive the athlete, the sooner he or she will complete a given number of reps and vice versa.
In our experiments, we have arrived at the “magic number” of reps that works for most.
That number is 10.
And:
Fast 10s—an Explosive Equal of Heavy Fives
P.S. If I am not allowed to post quotes from the book - feel free to edit my massage.

Back
Top Bottom