all posts post new thread

Simple & Sinister - General discussion

Got a hip niggle at some point and aggravated it with my attempts at one arm swings.

I think I’m going to dial it way back again and just do the “practice for 10-15 minutes” for get ups and swings so I can spend some time with all of the beginner drills, particularly the deadlift and bodyweight TGU. Won’t start programming anything until I can do one arm swings competently.

This practice, plus light running, Original Strength and some Flexible Steel is going to be my training for now. I need to get my body to a point where I’m not coming into training with niggles from daily life.

My plan still involves progressing to 24 for everything by the end of the year! This is the year for building the base, for strength, power, mobility and cardio.

@Pete L , - everything works. Linear progression works. Heavy-Light-Medium works. Bodybuilding top set - back-off set setup works.
For me - if I read "just do this" (10 sets of 10), it's natural to ask: "But why?"
I do not ask it as: "Why should I do it?" I ask it as: "If I know why I do it, I can do it better."
If you don't want to do it and stick with a more A+A protocol then please do. It would be interesting to hear back your thoughts in 12 months or so.
To me your question is akin to asking a medical consultant why they recommend a certain intervention.
Because in their experience, based on a collection of individuals over several years and backed up by the wider industry, it is statistically likely to lead to a preferred outcome.
However, we are all unique.
Perhaps 9x9 is optimum for you. For a certain time period. Or perhaps 5x15...
Who knows.
Asking yourself what your goals are may help you find the answer for yourself.

Ah - and also I wonder about the step loading. It's seems to me that one of the problems step loading is trying to solve - a limited amount of bells. Do your sets - upgrade to another bell, eventually get another one. That is sweet. I just wonder - how close am I to the truth.
Both questions will be answered by re-reading S&S 2.0, starting at pg. 59.

But the TLDR;

- Why ten swings? You can do less, but 10 is to balance out the the spectrum of low rep |-strength----hypertrophy----endurance-| high rep and still stay anti-glycolytic.
(And sometimes I do my sets with less reps. Like in sets of 5 or 7, especially when testing with a heavier bell. I also intend to experiment with higher than ten reps once I reach timeless Simple. Right now I'm an focused on increasing my strength. But I intend to plateau at my 32KG for a year or two and then trying to increase stamina and work on strengthing my connective tissue and work on other things on the side like pressing, snatches and clean and jerk.)

- Why step progression? Pavel has mentioned other methodologies to progress. But he wanted to present a bulletproof method that can be done indefinitely and not hit a plateau and still make progress. By adding two sets of heavier swings and one set of TGU's every month, he has found this to be possible. It gives a simple road map for anyone to do this.
(Experientially, I am finding this to be true. Last year I thought I was doing fine and could "fast-forward" to my 32KG. And I actually was, until I wasn't. I had plateaued twice and reached a burnout point. It wasn't sustainable. Now I am step loading and following it to a T. Strength gains come, even when operating at 70% TRM. Just trust the process.)

You also have to keep in mind, that this is a GPP program. For the majority it can be the only training regimen they need. For others they will be specific program training for their sport or lifestyle or vocation. And this program minimum is flexible enough that it can be run in unison with other sports or training...within reason.
Got a hip niggle at some point and aggravated it with my attempts at one arm swings.

I think I’m going to dial it way back again and just do the “practice for 10-15 minutes” for get ups and swings so I can spend some time with all of the beginner drills, particularly the deadlift and bodyweight TGU. Won’t start programming anything until I can do one arm swings competently.

This practice, plus light running, Original Strength and some Flexible Steel is going to be my training for now. I need to get my body to a point where I’m not coming into training with niggles from daily life.

My plan still involves progressing to 24 for everything by the end of the year! This is the year for building the base, for strength, power, mobility and cardio.

I had a similar problem. I have a problem with my SI joint. It's chronic, but not serious. Thanks to @Brett Jones and @Anna C they helped me identify some problems in my swing technique...and I also have to eat some crow, and admit I was trying to accelerate my progression to the 32KG too quickly. I can TGU the 32KG. I can 1H swing the 32KG for 3, 4, 5 sets. But not as well as I should, and eventually it comes back and bites me in the butt and I plateau. I dialed it back and de-loaded. I stuck to the 24KG for an entire month. Worked on improving the power and effectiveness of my swings. I worked on making the TGU harder with pauses, going slowly, done in reverse order with the 24KG.
When I incorporated the 32KG back in this month my swings feel more crisp, the bell goes up easily on the TGU. That means in five months time I should totally be on the 32KG. But I've set a soft limit of end of year. And honestly, I don't care if I haven't completely reached Simple by then. As long as I don't plateau, I don't get hurt, and keep making progress, it's all good.

I've also stopped trying to force progress. Now I'm just letting it happen. Three times a week. No other programs, other than a little bodyweight practice in a GtG fashion. The only other thing I intend to do is add the @AleksSalkin 9 Min Challenge for off days. I might just stay at this for a year or two and then see where I'm at.

Last edited:
Yesterday was my first “proper” session in a while now while I had been nursing a hip issue.

Took it very easy, two handed swings felt good but they followed a good amount of deadlifts and even some BW hinges.

The get ups started with BW (did a BW arm bar each side first then full get ups) and then progressed to doing the full get ups with the 16.

Happy with my technique for both, a cue I heard recently has helped my non working shoulder in the get up. Basically at the elbow position I think I was often letting my elbow get away from my body a bit too much so my shoulder was flaring, rather than keeping it tighter and directly below my shoulder when breathing “in position”. Especially on the way back down. That position feels a lot better (and more consistent) now.

Been more consistent with my Flexible Steel than anything, but also managed a couple of very light jogs last week too - more to get out of the house while working from home than actually work up a sweat or anything!

How is everyone else’s S&S practice coming along?

That's great!
Then it's just patience and persistence.

Don't rush the bell sizes, and it's OK to stay with 2H if you feel you need to build up strength til you can organically move to 1H
I am debating that this time around. Will see how my 1HS feels once I start incorporating it back in through drills etc and if I’m not completely happy I’ll just stick with 2HS and begin slowly bumping up the weight. Then hopefully the 1HS drills and practice will keep improving alongside.

I’m thinking in the future when I have the ability to organise my evenings/mornings a bit better - or kids are slightly older - I want to take up some kind of martial arts (kick boxing and BJJ are top of my list).

Was encouraged to see the get up all over everyone’s recommended Strength training, as well as the kettlebell as the go to (it makes sense but nice to see!)

My aim right now is getting this base of GPP so I can build these hobbies in the future without breaking myself.

I am debating that this time around. Will see how my 1HS feels once I start incorporating it back in through drills etc and if I’m not completely happy I’ll just stick with 2HS and begin slowly bumping up the weight. Then hopefully the 1HS drills and practice will keep improving alongside.
I've found that revisting the KB deadlift with a real focus on lat engagement, and stretching the fingertips and sternum as far apart from each other as possible in the hinge, and then trying to replicate that in the 1HS has improved them for me out of sight. I've gone back to S&S after tweaking my low back heading into ROP and realising my swing form has deteriorated with only doing doubles work for a bit.

Try it with 1 and 2HS with the cue above and see if it helps make the 1HS feel more solid, it did for me

I’m thinking in the future when I have the ability to organise my evenings/mornings a bit better - or kids are slightly older - I want to take up some kind of martial arts (kick boxing and BJJ are top of my list).

Was encouraged to see the get up all over everyone’s recommended Strength training, as well as the kettlebell as the go to (it makes sense but nice to see!)

My aim right now is getting this base of GPP so I can build these hobbies in the future without breaking myself.
Just do it now :)

Just do it now :)
I wish I had the time. Have a busy job, 2 year old who seems to barely sleep or tire out and pregnant wife who has hyperemesis and a do-er up-er house that has an endless list of DIY.

Then I will have another newborn, plus our first taste of having >1 kid.

I’m at peace that I can probably make time for some kettlebells, the occasional run, but not really diving into a new hobby or sport for a year or so.

I found a place nearby that had 7am-8am BJJ classes that, once I can, I will be taking up. Or I’ll go the kickboxing route and find a place for that. There is a TKD academy at the bottom of my street which also tempts me because of the ease of fitting it into the schedule!

I wish I had the time. Have a busy job, 2 year old who seems to barely sleep or tire out and pregnant wife who has hyperemesis and a do-er up-er house that has an endless list of DIY.

Then I will have another newborn, plus our first taste of having >1 kid.

I’m at peace that I can probably make time for some kettlebells, the occasional run, but not really diving into a new hobby or sport for a year or so.

I found a place nearby that had 7am-8am BJJ classes that, once I can, I will be taking up. Or I’ll go the kickboxing route and find a place for that. There is a TKD academy at the bottom of my street which also tempts me because of the ease of fitting it into the schedule!
Sounds like you have a lot on.
However, I found as a parent of young children, time for me got railroaded.
I'm sure you will find something to work for you.

Sounds like you have a lot on.
However, I found as a parent of young children, time for me got railroaded.
I'm sure you will find something to work for you.
My me-time has certainly taken a big hit! Although I did choose this life and do enjoy the DIY and love my family time.

At the moment getting to the bells when I can or out for a jog on the beach seems enough to keep me sane.

Definitely a pro of a plan like S&Sis how flexible but also unchanging it is. I know what im doing and can get a workout in if I happen to get a 30-40 min window (if I have energy during naps, or if I get up early, or stop up late!)

I like the idea that as the kids get older, the house begins to get finished and our routines get more settled I’ll realise I’ve got time for getting a workout in a lot more often/routinely and can then start thinking about other hobbies to add on top of my GPP which can then just be maintained or scaled right back.

My me-time has certainly taken a big hit! Although I did choose this life and do enjoy the DIY and love my family time.

At the moment getting to the bells when I can or out for a jog on the beach seems enough to keep me sane.

Definitely a pro of a plan like S&Sis how flexible but also unchanging it is. I know what im doing and can get a workout in if I happen to get a 30-40 min window (if I have energy during naps, or if I get up early, or stop up late!)

I like the idea that as the kids get older, the house begins to get finished and our routines get more settled I’ll realise I’ve got time for getting a workout in a lot more often/routinely and can then start thinking about other hobbies to add on top of my GPP which can then just be maintained or scaled right back.
Don't forget press ladders and swings can easily be done in between DIY jobs ;-)
I did my practice today while prepping food for a get together; BB FSQ and Victorious I KB MP.

I found The Giant was good for days with no time in and around kids. I didn't bother with a warm up, and aimed for 15-20min sessions. Then you can get down on the floor and stretch with the kids

I found The Giant was good for days with no time in and around kids. I didn't bother with a warm up, and aimed for 15-20min sessions. Then you can get down on the floor and stretch with the kids
In the past I did The Giant (20 min sessions split into 4x5 min sessions) and got good strength gains, sadly I also got injured - my own fault for jumping into double clean and press without requisite mobility.

Some time after I’ve reached Timeless 24kg (my heaviest bell) I will likely move to the C+P again, and plan to either go RoP or Giant 3.0 - with single bell only first!

It would be interesting to hear: are there people who have actually started with 16 and worked their way to 32 in 8 kg jumps by the book? Well, except for Pavel Macek. Who is, of course, remarkable. At bodyweight of 66 I can only dream of the simple standard right now...

It would be interesting to hear: are there people who have actually started with 16 and worked their way to 32 in 8 kg jumps by the book? Well, except for Pavel Macek. Who is, of course, remarkable. At bodyweight of 66 I can only dream of the simple standard right now...
I went 12kg, 16, 24, 32 with the TGU, 32kg was a lot until I did a few months of C+P with 2x16kg, it felt much easier after that, I feel due to more tricep strength holding the bell with a straight arm.

Back
Top Bottom