all posts post new thread

Somanaut

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 67-69kg

Program: S&S
Goal: Simple

Note: This is my second time on S&S, about 1.5 years ago on the program proper.
I didn't jump in cold with the 32kg. Been practising on and off with the 24kg the last month. Swings felt easy, but didn't time them. When I could do 5x20 (10 left 10 right) with the 24kg, I switched in the 32kg for 2 hand swings.
Worked multiple TGU's with the 24kg aswell, until I could do 3 in a row same arm, then switched to the 32kg.

Last edited:
Tuesday the 14th nov
Weight 68.7 kg
2x10 pulses of kettlebell straight armbar each side
3 x circuit of: 5 x goblet squat (24kg), 2 x 5 halo (16kg) and 5 x glute bridge.
2 min waiting for liquid chalk to dry
32kg Swing: 2H L R 2H L R 2H L R 2H
2 min break
32kg TGU: RL RL 2 min break RL RL 1 min break RL

note: 32kg 1 hand swings...oh boy, how I have not missed them! Trying just to focus on the hinge and not pay attention to how high the bell comes, the back swing feels very awkward. TGU's were hard, could be better technically, but doable. Have a tendency to keep left foot too much forward in the lounge position on left side, pulled it back a little, so that the angle between the thigh and lower leg is sharper, and knee more forward, which felt more solid. Also noted how much of a difference it makes, to really press down with left foot, when propping to elbow. Right leg last time around, had a tendency to rise from the floor, this feels more stable. All in all, not a bad start, except for the 1 hand swings, which were terrible. But I suspected, that they would be. Looking forward to friday.

Last edited:
Friday the 17th nov
Weight 68 kg
3 x circuit of: 5 x goblet squat (24kg), 2 x 5 halo (16kg) and 5 x glute bridge.
2 min waiting for liquid chalk to dry
32kg Swing: 2H L R 2H L R 2H L R 2H
2 min break
32kg TGU: LR LR LR LR LR, 1 min break between each LR

note: the 2 first rounds of 1 hand swings felt much better than tuesday. By that I mean, that they looked like actual swings, with the bell reaching chest level at apex, some of the backswings even felt better. Those with decent back swing were significantly better than the rest. The TGU was killing me today, felt so heavy. I had thought, that the 1 min break between each left-right, would make it feel easier, but it didn't. Maybe it was just one of those days, or maybe I had used more energy in the swings than last time, since I felt I could produce more power. Might have to do a light day of TGU tomorrow with the 24kg, will see.

Last edited:
Saturday the 18th nov
Weight 68 kg
2x10 single leg calf raise while waiting for chalk to dry.
32kg Swing: 2, 2, L, R, 2, 2, L, R, 2, 2.
2 min break
32kg TGU: LR LR LR 2 min break LR LR

note: 2nd round of one hand swings, was ok. TGU felt much better today.

Last edited:
Sunday the 19th nov
Weight 68.3
3 x circuit of: 5 x goblet squat (16kg), 2 x 5 halo (16kg) and 5 x glute bridge.

TEST DAY 24kg

Swing: 4.34
1 min break
TGU: 5.47

note: It has been a long time, since I have been against the clock. I was actually a bit nervous. It was a bit hard, but not to the point were I actually had to put any significant willpower into the task. I am sure my technique could have been better. So perhaps next month I will upload a test day video. Not sure if next week is better spent on the 24kg, or on the 32kg, will sleep on it. I still feel, that there is very little skill transfer from the 24kg to the 32kg on the swing. TGU is much closer, but even there, the difference in mass vis a vis my bodyweight, is still significant. They feel like completely different moves (24kg vs. 32kg I mean).

Last edited:
monday the 20th nov
weight: 68.3kg
2x10 pulses of kettlebell straight arm bar (16kg)
2x5 each way Halo (16kg)
5x2 TGU (so twice each arm in row) 24kg each was started with a floor press
RR-LL, RR-LL, RR-LL, RR-LL, RR-LL

note: was having an off day in my head, and not really sure if I even could muster the spirit to train. So I just picked my 3 favorite movements (to sweeten the deal): arm bar, Halo and TGU, deciding to milk the TGU with the 24kg. Was a decent compromise, although not quite the method suggested in S&S, where Pavel says to take a light day, easier weight and/or fewer reps/sets of the S&S template. I kind of enjoy multiple TGU's same side in a row, very different from a (for me) heavy day with the 32kg. I guess I prefer the 32kg, but multiples with a lighter weight, have earlier been a good way to solidify the heavier ones. Afterwards I got curious about wether mastery of one phase of the S&S program, i.e. a specific weight say the 24kg, would entail 50 swings one arm, no break and then switch hands mid air to do 50 swings with the other, and then finish of with 5 TGU continuously one arm then switch and do 5 the other? I am 99% sure I could do that with a 16kg, perhaps even a 20kg. But would that imply mastery of said phase? And what would the effect of the training leading up to it be?
And also, can hummus be a better substitute for a protein shake? I know some students and teachers here on the forums do not believe in anything other than eating a lot and well, but outside of these forums, the general consensus seems to be, that a protein shake after a practise (or *shudder* workout) is a good thing.

Last edited:
tuesday the 21st nov
weight 68.3kg
2x10 pulses of kettlebell straight arm bar (16kg)
2x5 each way Halo (16kg)
3x3 TGU each side with the 24 kg
RRR-LLL 2 min break RRR-LLL 2 min break RRR-LLL

note: much harder than the 5x2 each side yesterday. I could probably grind through a 2x4 each side. But think tomorrow is going to be spend with more focus on technique. I for some strange reason like the TGU. Maybe it's my yoga roots. Well I hate it and like it at the same time.
I find it hard to differentiate between weakness and purposefully day off/light days/medium days. I like the everyday (technically 6 once you do 100 swings and 10 TGU) approach of S&S. The days when you have more gas in the tank, you go hard, the days you have less you replenish actively. And if life interrupts, well there is your day off. I have a plan, but besides going for simple, I can't formulate it yet, it's like a vague idea lurking.

Last edited:
Hummus? Why? It doesn't sound ideal to me and I've never heard anyone else compare it to a protein shake.

wednesday the 22nd nov
weight: 68.4kg

24kg Swing: 10x10 one hand
2 min break
24kg TGU 5x1
2 min break
3x5 floor press with the 24kg

note: easy day, feels like a bout to get a fever any day now. Tried TGU with 10 sec pauses on 1st 3rd and 5th, hardest variation yet, seems harder than multiple gets ups. Good teaching tool. Some of the swings felt quite decent.

Isn't hummus primarily made from chickpeas? Which contains lots of protein.

Hummus also has sesame oil and often olive oil as well, so there's a significant amount of fat. Chickpeas have a moderate, if incomplete protein content, but they also contain carbohydrates, which some prefer to avoid.

What's wrong with whey? It's pretty much the protein to beat and doesn't really cost an arm and leg either.

Hummus also has sesame oil and often olive oil as well, so there's a significant amount of fat. Chickpeas have a moderate, if incomplete protein content, but they also contain carbohydrates, which some prefer to avoid.

What's wrong with whey? It's pretty much the protein to beat and doesn't really cost an arm and leg either.
Haven't found one that has a decent taste.

thursday the 23rd nov
weight: 68.9kg (lol wut as the younglings say)
3x5 press with 16kg
3x5 rows with 16kg
3x5 SLDL with 16kg

note: felt really tired, not sore though, so had initially decided to skip training today. But as I was preparing to make dinner, I felt fresh (got a 30 nap on the train home from work). But had very only about 10 min of time to do anything before eating, and did not feel like sweating so decided to just do something easy.
Will continue to make daily updates, to force myself to get establish habits, and to reflect on my training. When I am back on the 32kg for one hand swings and TGU's and just working on decreasing rest time, I will probably switch to weekly updates.
Why do I actually train? 1) Endurance for my job 2) endurance for meditation in lotus and 3) to minimise the need for assistance as I get really old. I believe, that increasing ones relative strength is the best tool for this. Not sold on the need for absolute strength, not ruling it out, but just not 100% convinced. Absolute strength as in powerlifting, and sport specific explosive strength as in olympic lifts is truly impressive (aesthetically I lean more to the OL lifts). I am a late comer, and somewhat reluctant, to the strength field. And I think that I have a very idiosyncratic (specific) view of movement aesthetics. I recognize the need for functionality, but my personal bias is more in aesthetics (form), which probably only makes sense to me. But I think it's important, that I actually try and figure it out now, so I can better plan ahead.

friday the 24th of nov
weight 68.9
Swing: 10x10 one hand all with the 24kg
2 min break
TGU 5x1 24kg, 24kg, 32kg, 24kg, 24kg
2 min break
3x5 floor press with the 24kg

note: So I think, that I have reached the starting point of the climb to the Simple goal. There are many things in the 24kg one hand swing, that I want to work on. I am making progress on them, but to early to jump into the 32kg. TGU's feel solid, so have started to switch the 32kg in for one set. Will try and do the program as close to the book as I can this time around. Which also means, that there is atlas a few months to all out 32kg in both swing and TGU, and even longer until I can get under the time allotted. So I know what I will be doing for the first quarter and perhaps half year of 2018.

Sunday the 26 of nov
Weight 68.2kg
2x5 bodyweight SLDL
Swing: 10x10 24kg, 24kg, 32kg, 24kg, 24kg
2 min break
TGU: 5x1 24kg, 24kg, 32kg, 24kg, 24kg

Note: Swings with the 24kg felt good, so I added a 2x10 with the 32kg. Will probably test with the 24kg again at the end of next week. Trying to go by the book this time around, but I don't understand what mastery with the 24kg actually means, after one has passed the time test. So I will keep the 32kg in my practise, but go slowly, while testing the 24kg every 1-2 weeks. I was away all of saturday, so guess that was my day off, felt weird but needed.

Monday the 27th of November
Weight 68.2kg
2 min break
TGU: 5x1 24kg, 32kg, 24kg, 32kg, 24kg

Note: So cold in the apartment, so kept warmup to a minimum. The first two sets (of each hand) with the 24kg didn't feel good. I could get the explosion from last week into them, I believe it was mental fatique not physical. Decided to swing the 32kg anyway, and went better than expected, actually more control than yesterday, but the back swing on the 32kg is still not acceptable.
Edit: The swings with the 24kg after the 32kg felt good, much more explosive.
First TGU with the 24kg felt way to easy, so swapped in a 2nd set of the 32kg. Much to my surprise I was able to floor press the 32kg without the other hand helping. I haven't been able to do that since the last time I was on Simple, so quite happy with being able to do that again. Makes for a better TGU, when you start strong. Progress is sweet.
Plan for the next couple of weeks, is to stay with the number of sets and reps. Add a set 32kg (TGU>Swing, so next week I would add a set with the 32kg to the swing and keep TGU as it is) if the past week has gone well, until it's all with the 32kg. Contemplating to do a test every week (with the 24kg), but it allmost feels, like it steals a day away from technique and form.

Last edited:
Tuesday the 28th of Nov
Weight: 68.5kg
2 min break

Note: Felt rested today, no soreness at all, from the last two days practise. The one significant thing, that I noticed today was, that I felt that I could active my glutes better in both squat, swing and the lunge part of the TGU. S&S really shines, when one doesn't add anything to it, and do it as close to daily as possible. It progresses naturally. So hard to leave the ego and training ADHD out of it, but once you do that, it is very effective. I would like to get to the point, where doing the program is like brushing ones teeth, not there yet. And also, it is important for me, not to have any expectations about the days practise, focus on form, and let the rest take care of it self.

Wednesday the 29 of Nov
2 min break

Note: Swings got done, but weren't impressed. The 2nd set of 32kg TGU was hard. Not looking forward to 3 days more of practise before sunday as my day off.

Good work you have going. I hope to get there soon. I am pretty close to hitting the standards with the 24kg, but I will need some S&S training before I can attempt to test at that weight. I like that you are doing the glute bridge. I think I will be adding them back into my warm up.

Tuesday the 28th of Nov
2 min break

Note: Felt rested today, no soreness at all, from the last two days practise. The one significant thing, that I noticed today was, that I felt that I could active my glutes better in both squat, swing and the lunge part of the TGU. S&S really shines, when one doesn't add anything to it, and do it as close to daily as possible. It progresses naturally. So hard to leave the ego and training ADHD out of it, but once you do that, it is very effective. I would like to get to the point, where doing the program is like brushing ones teeth, not there yet. And also, it is important for me, not to have any expectations about the days practise, focus on form, and let the rest take care of it self.

Good work you have going. I hope to get there soon. I am pretty close to hitting the standards with the 24kg, but I will need some S&S training before I can attempt to test at that weight. I like that you are doing the glute bridge. I think I will be adding them back into my warm up.
Thanks. I was skeptical about the gluten bridge, and I think, that I might have skipped it last time on Simple. But since it feels like the contraction is better this time around, I will keep them in the program for a while yet. I have been training in Converse low riders the last couple of times, and I don't know if the increased elevation (from barefoot) although small, adds something. Will do with out the shoes last 3 times times this week, and see if any difference.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom