all posts post new thread

Somanaut

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thursday the 30th of Nov
Weight 68.5kg
3x5 SLDL, Military Press and Rows with the 16kg

Note: Got home much later than expected. Had decided on no training today, because I have to train tomorrow before noon, so was worried about fatigue. However...after a shower, I heard the whisper of the iron. And decided to have a light day of variety work (english not working today). No idea if that was a good idea or not, but figured neither of the 3 chosen moves would interfere much with tomorrow training.

Friday the 1st of dec
Weight: 68.2kg
3 x plank 1 min
3 x 10 sit ups + 20 laying back extensions
3 x 10 halo 16kg + 5 prying goblet squat 24kg + 5 glute bridge
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-24kg-32kg-24kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-32kg-24kg-32kg-24kg

Note: My glute contraction feels better (not good just better), this both in squat and in swing. But I am annoyed by what I perceive as lack of ab control, hence why I tried to "prime" them with the extra warmup. Halo's and squat felt light today. Better connection between lats and glutes in the swing. Swings were generally better today, especially during the 32kg ones. TGU was a nightmare of weakness, not to the point of worse form, but I felt weak with the 32kg, had to focus more than usual on stability in transitions, and it did not feel as solid as it has been.
It's horrible when you have a mixed a round of sets 24kg and 32kg. I much prefer to just pick a weight and focus on that. Looking forward when I use the 32kg for over half of the swings and TGU, which should be in 2 weeks, will swap a set (both left and right of course) of 24kg swings with 32kg swings next week. And then swap a set bilaterally on both the swings and TGU the week after that. Haven't decided on the order: a) 24-32-32-32-24 or b) 24-32-32-24-32.
Might switch between the two options.
Edit: I am not saying, that mixing weights is a bad method. It's just that much harder, mentally, than having to work with only one size weight. I am hoping, that it is teaching me, to mentally toughen when need to.
About the abs, that is actually an old problem, I had just forgotten about it. I remember having weak contraction in my teens, despite doing tons of sit ups. Might have to read Pavel's "Bulletproof Abs". I want better active functional contraction, as well as a higher resting muscle tone, for when I am doing my job and not lifting weights. The abs problem actually became clear, when I started focusing on belly breathing in my meditation, the control was very poor, and I almost collaps in muscle tone when breathing out.

Last edited:
Single kettlebell workouts are great, I know exactly how you feel. As for the order, I refer you to the log of @Pavel Macek, post 1181. See where he goes up in weight? That may be a good formula to follow.....he kind of knows what he is doing.....;)o_O:p:eek::D

Single kettlebell workouts are great, I know exactly how you feel. As for the order, I refer you to the log of @Pavel Macek, post 1181. See where he goes up in weight? That may be a good formula to follow.....he kind of knows what he is doing.....;)o_O:p:eek::D
Thanks for the tip! Seems like I have been doing it different than Pavel M. and the schema in the book, where Pavel shows an example of a person in between bells. So will be using the 24kg as first set, then all the 32kg sets, then back to the 24kg, until all are 32kg.

3 x plank 1 min
3 x 10 sit ups + 20 laying back extensions
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-32gk-32kg-24kg-24kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-32kg-32kg-24kg-24kg

Note: I added a set of 32kg swings, and changed the order. I prefer this setup, where I don't switch back and forth, but it's more in blocks. Will stay with this template for next week. The 32kg swings went much better today, especially that the bell didn't pull that much to one side, so more contralaterally stable I guess. Backswings was also better. The 2nd left 32kg was probably the best 32kg set of swings I have yet made. I actually felt good, although much probably could be improved. So quite pleased and optimistic, although progress very slow. Glute and latissimus dorsi connection was better aswell. The TGU's were much better than yesterday, felt stronger.
It has come to my attention, that my abs are weak and I can't feel the contraction properly, so this is something I have to do something about. Not only is it limiting my power output in swings, stability in TGU (I am probably compensating), it is probably also that which gives periodically low back pain. Other than hoping, that S&S will in time rectify this, i.e. make them more functional in both dynamic and passive/static moves/postures, I don't really have an idea how to accelerate the proces. So far I am just trying to voluntarily reduce anterior tilt when working and walking, tension abs (especially the lower middle). Will probably play around with different forms of isometric holds to feel the tension better. This method usually works for me, then start doing dynamic moves, and look for that feeling. But no solid plan yet.
Hoping to reach 10x10 32kg swings and 5x1 32kg TGU by the end of december, and then start focusing on decreasing the rest times in 2018.

December 3rd
Weight 84.4

--TEST DAY 24KG--
Swing: 4.46
TGU: 5.39

Note: Took it more slowly than last time, so was still hard on the breathing but not as stressfull, since I knew, that I could handle the work in the allotted time. Nothing interesting to add about todays test. But the road to Simple it is very different this time around, when I am actually trying to do the program as close to the book as possible. Last time I rushed it, and got in just under time. But I trained much more infrequently, so was way more rested. Of course I am also older now. My point is, my gains from first time on Simple, didn't stick. I faded fast. This time I am more determined to plan for the long haul, and to build work capacity. I am actually starting to doubt, wether or not I did achieve Simple Goal last time, because I don't have a date and time of it. But then again, my memory has never been very good. This time I am perhaps OVER documenting my progress.

Monday the 4th of December
Weight: 68.7kg

3x1 min plank (I don't know what style I am using, I just know they hurt i a horribly good way) 1 min breaks between planks
2min break
5x1 TGU 24kg-32kg-32kg-24kg-24kg

Note: Most swings felt good today, perhaps not as much power as in the last regular day. But more stability (anti rotation) and 32kg reaches higher on up swing. I have a tendency to lean back, but was able to correct this in some of the swings, with both weights. Latissimus and gluten connection was better on some swings.
TGU felt much easier and stronger than last time on the 32kg. So progress I assume. I do not feel sore the next day after training, so recovery is good. I can feel the obsession with form setting in, especially in the swings. So while there can at times be a reluctance to train, it is overridden by willpower and an annoyance with the current form, and a need to change that. This I take as a positive sign. I hope, that habit will at some point be more clear. I.e. I do what I do, cause that is what I do.
The plan for 2018 seems pretty clear now, still hoping to add a set of 32kg each week in both the TGU and Swing before end of december, so that I will only be working with the 32kg come january (and dropping down to the 24kg when I need a deload/light day). The current plan is to stick with the 32kg through all of 2018, and then evaluate where I am, and what I want to do. But I am a little bit "scared" to know what the training is for a whole year, but at the same time I am looking forward to it, strange. If/when I reach Simple, and depending on how training feels after that, I might go for Sinister, but I am not sure. I have other projects besides strength, and it might be a good idea to stick to the S&S format, while side projects are still in progress, as opposed to start RoP, NW or powerlifting, which is what I am contemplating. But plenty of time to work out next step, since I am far from Simple.

@somanaut, you were about to start barbell training at a club a while back, right? How did that go?
Yes I started and lasted about 2months before I went back to S&S training at home. Several reasons why I chose to put powerlifting in a club on hold. They focused on olympic lifts, and I was kinda just training next to them, but not with them. Ultimately I got tired of doing a set and having to ask how many reps and what weight after each finished set. I don't do well in unfamiliar settings and ad hoc activities. I like to know EXACTLY what I will be doing for 90% of a practise. Hence why I enjoy S&S, and the control of solitude training. Nothing against powerlifting or said club, was just not a mix I could work with at the time.

Tuesday the 5th of December
Weight 68.3kg
3x1 min plank (1 min breaks between planks)
3 x 10 halo 16kg + 5 goblet squat 24kg + 5 glute bridge
2min break
5x1 TGU 24kg-32kg-2 min break-32kg-24kg-24kg

Note: Usually the first set of swings feel off, but today the first set actually felt solid. Height in the 32kg swings are getting better. So realized today, that I have not been aiming at my crotch in the backswing, at that is atlas part of the reason why my back swing doesn't feel right, cause when I did, it felt way more smooth. So many details that make up a good swing, endless.
TGU with the 32kg was decent. Working on balance and stability when transiting to lunge position. And I think that my ab tension goes out the window after the roll to elbow, the breathing pattern is wrong, but not something I am going to focus on at the moment.
Still feeling fresh every day, and performance (explosion and strength seems to be going up, even if some days dip a bit).
Thinking of staying with the 32kg and S&S all trough 2018. If it is a year spent chasing Simple Goal, so be it. If I reach the goal, then work on form. If form is good, then 50 nonstop swing left ditto right, 5 TGU left ditto right...basically whatever happens, there is plenty for me to drain from the program for a full year, since last option is not going to happen. I am a person that has a hard time in sticking to something, hence why gains (skill and capacity) never becomes engrained. This time I want to carve it into my bones.

Wednesday the 6th of December
Weight 68.3kg
3x 30 sek OAOL Plank 30 sec rest
3 x (10 halo 16kg + 5 goblet squat 24kg + 5 glute bridge)
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-24kg-24kg-24kg-24kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-24kg-24kg-24kg-24kg

Note: Deload day I think it's called. I was feeling tired at work, so decided to try one of those easy days, I hate easy days. It was very hard to keep the ego locked away, but it got done. Tomorrow maybe another easy day or a day off, before back on progression friday. Not much else to day, was mainly a mental thing about sticking to the program, and not overtraining.
Edit: I think, that I should only have dropped down to 1 set of the 32kg, not all the way to 0 sets. I feels like cheating to not use the 32kg. In the future I think, that only life will give me days off, I can't take them for my self. If I am tired then less weight, but same sets and reps. And always at least 1 set of the max. So I guess today was a lesson in how I should handle it going forward.

Last edited:
Friday the 8th of december
Weight: 67.9kg wtf...
2xOA Plank 30 sec
2x10 breaths of kettlebell straight armbar
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-32gk-32kg-32kg-24kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-32gk-32kg-32kg-24kg

Note: Couldn't make practise yesterday, and not sure if I can make it sunday. So went for 3 sets of the 32kg in each exercise. Felt good, recovery between sets was good, some of the right hand swings were not bad, but I think I have too much lean back still, played around with loose grip on the 24kg, had less explosion, which may lead me to suspect that there isn't enough hip drive, and too much arm, even though it doesn't feel that way. TGU's were stronger.
I have a dream to one day take the SFB cert. I have done OAPU before, but the OAOLPU has so far eluded me. I am not going to start practicing it, but I will cycle in the OA-/OAOL-Plank in my warmup. As stated before I need some sort of feedback for the abs, and a static pose like plank seems to do the trick, so not that far to OA Plank, it's a little bit of mission creep, and it's an optional exercise, so on short days no plank.

Saturday the 9th of December
Weight: 67.9kg
2xOA Plank 30 sec
2min break

Note: Think I am going to stop weighing myself before each practise. Perhaps just once a week. It's just demoralizing. And not sure that many data points actually give me anything. Practise was hard today, not due to fatigue, but more due to a mental state, but I suspected as much, since morning meditation was a hard grind as well, and those are usually (but not always) a good indicator of my attitude. So today was just about getting the sets and reps done with no fuzz. Swings weren't explosive, but form seemed good. Focused on hinge, and paid no attention to height of bell or backswing. TGU with the 32kg was better than with the 24kg. Tomorrow is going to be another day off.

Sunday the 10th of December
2xOA Plank 30 sec
2min break

Note: What was supposed to be a day off, turned into a day on. Body and mind was fresh so I figured I would do a light day (just the 24kg), but I felt strong, so just went for a regular day on the progression. Nothing to note on swings. But the arm bar really connected lats and glutes. And OA plank was much more stable. TGU was solid, could add one more set of the 32kg, but will see how tomorrow goes. Recovery between so far has been really good. So good that it's hard not to rush to all out 32kg. Hard to be a grown up...
Edit: Did the S&S stretches just before bed. QL Straddle feels good, but hard to find the sticky points in 90/90.

Last edited:
Monday the 11th of december
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-32gk-32kg-32kg-32kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-32gk-32kg-32kg-32kg

Note: Was pressed for time, so only did the standard warmup. Swings didn't feel explosive, but form felt good, especially backswing in aiming for the crotch, usually the 32kg dips a bit, which is an indicator that I haven't tamed the arc. Today I didn't feel the dip and wondered why that was. So I decided to add a set of the 32kg because I was curious about it. So it wasn't so much the need to go heavier, but more the desire to explore a mechanism. Might replace a set of the 32kg with the 24th tomorrow...but I probably won't. TGU felt solid as per usual, but took a longer break between last set, forearms seemed to need it.
Recovery between swings felt really good, I had to force myself to take a longer than needed breaks. Simple Goal is looking more and more attainable. Which got me thinking, I would really like to certify as an SFB (for multiple reasons), but I also really want to press the 32kg. But Simple first!
Edit: What I meant to say was, preliminary plan is:
1) S&S Simple
2) OAOL Push Up for the SFB hopefully in 2018
3) ROP or start barbell work
As I recall the goal of ROP is to be able to press half your bodyweight, but 32kg is close enough for me.

Last edited:
Tuesday the 12th of december
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg

Note:
Strange practise today. Was feeling weak, so was prepared to just test the 32kg and perhaps do 24kg for rest. However the squat felt very light (I hate squat, even with light weight). The 24kg on first sets 1-2 was lacking in power, but solid form. Tried the 32kg, didn't feel that bad. By the 6th and 7th set I could maintain a light grip, mostly with right hand on the 32kg and the 10th set almost felt like a decent set with the 24kg! So quite pleased with that. TGU especially first set with the 32kg felt lighter than usual, I think my balance is better. But unhappy with the transition from elbow to palm and straight supporting arm. But all in all a surprising good practise, despite some stomach issues, and a bad mood. Not sure if I can make practise tomorrow, since I have to buy some winter pants, which might take a while. Might add something more philosophical later today or tomorrow. I think that I am perhaps slowly starting to understand the GPP nature of S&S.

Thursday the 14th of December
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-24kg-32kg-24kg-24kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-24kg-32kg-24kg-24kg

Note: Managed to squeeze in a round of easy practise. Nothing much to note, was at 19.00 and a bit tired, long day.

Friday the 15th of December
2min break
10x10 1 hand swings 24kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg
5x1 TGU 24kg-32kg-32kg-32kg-32kg

Note:
Today was a hard day, no mental power, but last left and right of the swings with the 32kg was decent, focused on the hip snap today, back swing was crap. TGU was heavy, but again felt distracted, to the point were form with the 24kg was bad, did not feel solid. Luckily that cleared up with the 32kg, easier to become stable with the 32kg, 2-3 lunge and step up was better with the 32kg, which is one of my sticky points. Going to aim for all out 32kg practise sunday or monday, just to see how that feels, and then probably back off and go for it again. Swinging 10 reps on each minute, and 1 min break after 1xleft+1xright TGU. When bell rings you go! I am not a fan of dropping down with weight, if the reps aren't as explosive or solid, fix it with the current weight. I know that it's not what Pavel says to do (and others) but I prefer it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom