all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Sport specific conditioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
+1 @Steve Freides

I play in a mens soccer league. Ages range from low 20s into the 60s. Skill varies from recreational to former college players. I'm 48 and since our last season ended at the beginning of December, I have had approximately 0% interest in running to improve my conditioning and prepare for Spring season, which began last night.

Instead, over the last two months, my training has primarily consisted of swings 4-6 days/week, barbell squats 4-5 days/week, TGUs 3-4 days/week, bench press 1 day/week. Occasionally, I've also done some jump rope or gone for a long walk. That's been the extent of my conditioning.

We had our first game last night. I played mostly midfield and some forward. So, I was basically running the entire field with some occasional sprints to the ball. I played most the game and the couple of times I subbed out was really to give others a chance to play rather than because I felt tired or fatigued.

My conditioning felt fine. Could it improve by "training" my sport more? Maybe, but as a team we don't practice. And between trekking out to a field to dribble a ball around cones and shoot on an empty net; or grabbing my bells in my garage, I'd rather just grab my bells and go.

Strength is general (a squat works for many/most sports)
Conditioning is Specific. The demands of hockey are different than XC running

What sport?
Conditioning demands depend on the sport/activity.

For example: American football = 5 seconds burst of activity followed by 35-40 seconds recovery between plays so repeat sprint ability so running distance will not be "specific"

I think if your going to do analysis you should look at what energy systems your sport entails, and how much additional work is appropriate.
mma fighter should spend most of there time to A+A of Q&D followed by a glycolytic peak nearer the fight (Not an expert, it just makes rational sense to me, correct me if im wrong.) and that may only need to happen twice a week if they're sparing everyday.

alternate example in this article How to Row 3000 Miles Across an Ocean with a Barbell | StrongFirst mr. McCarthy practiced his sport and did slow twitch hypertrophy to support his event.
any who theres 2cents from a non-expert.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom