all posts post new thread

Barbell SQUAT BIG PLATES FOR REPS CHALLENGE - 2023

The most recent zine: zine 10 - full size
Great stuff, @Boris Bachmann! Love all the squat variations and movement recommendations.

Interesting footnote to the Kate Vibert squat photo that you included, 190 kg / 418 lbs. I was actually there that day (7/29/23), attending a weekend weightlifting camp at Power & Grace performance. The team was in the gym that Saturday morning while the camp attendees were at the coffee shop for a chat/lecture. When we arrived at the gym, Kate was finishing up and handed ME her barbell, the one she had just done that squat with! You see me here in a purple tank top in videos from that day. Another interesting footnote, I saw it on Instagram that afternoon and said to Spencer, Kate PRd her squat today? He said she wasn't supposed to do that. But she doesn't always follow coach's guidance. Sunday morning we got a nice talk from Jourdan Delacruz and Kate, "What it takes". Really interesting how different they are. Jourdan follows everything to the Nth degree. But Spencer Arnold is a great coach and knows how to work with both of them to help them be the best they can be. I really enjoyed the weekend camp.

Interesting footnote to the Kate Vibert squat photo that you included, 190 kg / 418 lbs. I was actually there that day (7/29/23), attending a weekend weightlifting camp at Power & Grace performance. The team was in the gym that Saturday morning while the camp attendees were at the coffee shop for a chat/lecture. When we arrived at the gym, Kate was finishing up and handed ME her barbell, the one she had just done that squat with! You see me here in a purple tank top in videos from that day. Another interesting footnote, I saw it on Instagram that afternoon and said to Spencer, Kate PRd her squat today? He said she wasn't supposed to do that. But she doesn't always follow coach's guidance. Sunday morning we got a nice talk from Jourdan Delacruz and Kate, "What it takes". Really interesting how different they are. Jourdan follows everything to the Nth degree. But Spencer Arnold is a great coach and knows how to work with both of them to help them be the best they can be. I really enjoyed the weekend camp.
I'm sure that was a great seminar - she's a beast!

30th of the 10th.
315 for 15.
I think this is my last entry. It appears I may have given myself a small hernia during this session. Seeing a doctor soon to confirm.
Been fun guys, good with luck with the last couple months hopefully there’s a couple more PB’s added before the years out.

@Boris Bachmann, are you planning to rerun the challenge in 2024?

I've been reading the posts, and I'm interested in participating next year.
I got rid of my barbells years ago, so I would have to do 135lb Kettlebell Front Racked Squats.
Are kettlebells allowed as the weight even though it's the big plate challege?

I do staggered squats, so I don't expect to be competitive, but it would be a nice yearlong challenge.

I would see the challenge with other lift as well
Bench 2 plates for reps
Deadlift 4 plates for reps

The bench challenge could maybe get me to participate. Bench for reps is far, far more tolerable than squat or deadlift.

Maybe add strict overhead press for a plate or two as well. But I wonder if it becomes too much. There's a beautiful simplicity in the original idea of squats for reps.

Back
Top Bottom