all posts post new thread

Staying the Course -- Adam Mundorf

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Morning Bodyweight
    • Oh nelly. I'll be blowing up tomorrow morning again but it'll melt off.
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 61 bpm
Daily Squatting for Mobility
  • Didn't do it
Off Day

I'm enjoying my dietary protocol allot but I need to reel in the meal deviation a bit. Once a week I deviate but oh boy do I deviate hard. Like for example I have an extra two bag of chips sitting on the shelf, because I just go crazy! So next week, I really want to get it nailed down and keep it simple/frugal.
I am struggling with my diet as well and am far from an expert. But from reading your diet log I really struggle understanding how you came up with a diet like that as a year long fitness enthusiast. To me eating microwave dinners with some veggies + a protein shake sounds more sensible than stuff like this:
  • 2.5 Cups of Black Coffee
  • Tablespoon of Bentonite Clay
  • 5pm
    • 2 Pears
  • 7pm
    • Large Bowl of Steamed Cauliflower
  • 10pm
    • Whole Milk with Whey Protein Concentrate
    • Large Leafy Salad
or that
  • 1.5 Cups of Black Coffee
  • 3 pm
    • 2 Bananas
    • 1 Apple
  • 9 pm
    • Lots of Pizza
    • Birch Beer
Is there a reason you eat this way or is this how you eat habitually?

I am struggling with my diet as well and am far from an expert. But from reading your diet log I really struggle understanding how you came up with a diet like that as a year long fitness enthusiast. To me eating microwave dinners with some veggies + a protein shake sounds more sensible than stuff like this:
  • 2.5 Cups of Black Coffee
  • Tablespoon of Bentonite Clay
  • 5pm
    • 2 Pears
  • 7pm
    • Large Bowl of Steamed Cauliflower
  • 10pm
    • Whole Milk with Whey Protein Concentrate
    • Large Leafy Salad
or that
  • 1.5 Cups of Black Coffee
  • 3 pm
    • 2 Bananas
    • 1 Apple
  • 9 pm
    • Lots of Pizza
    • Birch Beer
Is there a reason you eat this way or is this how you eat habitually?
Originally I was working with a coach who recommended food combining and that's why I was eating in the style above. I have since decided to part ways with said coach because I wasn't correctly following his programs or dietary protocols. I didn't think it was fair to him. That's what the betonite clay, swiss kriss and all that was. I've since moved away from that more to a warrior diet like eating style.

Habitually I would say I'm naturally more of a warrior diet type of person. Eating lighter during the day and a bit heavier at night. This is what I'm beginning to revert back to and which is natural to me. Some fruit and/or protein during the day. A large salad, steamed vegetables and healthy protein at night. Only taking fish oil, multivitamin and creatine.

Growing up overweight, having a stutter and being teased for it, really affected my relationship with food. I don't like to eat in front of others or with others and I often eat in private. I tend to binge eat sugar and 'bad' foods if I had a bad day. Oftentimes buying far more than I can even enjoy but feel obligated too. I tend to go extreme in one direction aka fasting and then over compensate in the other direction aka overeating. This essentially led me to think that if I don't eat or eat very light for long periods, I can eat whatever I want and be fine. Which we all know just isn't true or healthy.

My eating is very emotions based but I am trying to fix it by being kinder, gentler and forgiving to myself. I'm trying to eat in a way that makes sense to me but that calories do indeed matter, even if I'm eating it after a 20 hour fast.

I hope this helped you understand, I'd be happy to clarify further if you'd like.

Originally I was working with a coach who recommended food combining and that's why I was eating in the style above. I have since decided to part ways with said coach because I wasn't correctly following his programs or dietary protocols. I didn't think it was fair to him. That's what the betonite clay, swiss kriss and all that was. I've since moved away from that more to a warrior diet like eating style.

Habitually I would say I'm naturally more of a warrior diet type of person. Eating lighter during the day and a bit heavier at night. This is what I'm beginning to revert back to and which is natural to me. Some fruit and/or protein during the day. A large salad, steamed vegetables and healthy protein at night. Only taking fish oil, multivitamin and creatine.

Growing up overweight, having a stutter and being teased for it, really affected my relationship with food. I don't like to eat in front of others or with others and I often eat in private. I tend to binge eat sugar and 'bad' foods if I had a bad day. Oftentimes buying far more than I can even enjoy but feel obligated too. I tend to go extreme in one direction aka fasting and then over compensate in the other direction aka overeating. This essentially led me to think that if I don't eat or eat very light for long periods, I can eat whatever I want and be fine. Which we all know just isn't true or healthy.

My eating is very emotions based but I am trying to fix it by being kinder, gentler and forgiving to myself. I'm trying to eat in a way that makes sense to me but that calories do indeed matter, even if I'm eating it after a 20 hour fast.

I hope this helped you understand, I'd be happy to clarify further if you'd like.
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. And thanks for sharing. Hopefully you find a way of eating that keeps you happy and allows you to stay at your target weight.

Ok, Warrior Diet/IF makes it easier for me to understand. But things like 3 pieces of fruit, steamed veggies, 6 eggs plus a salad over a whole day sound a bit odd. Both for overall calories and protein it sounds very. Do you add a ton of oil or fat (dressing) to your salads or do you make up for these low calorie days with pizza and soda?

Last year I dieted down to 205lbs and 5 eggs + some toast + an orange was my breakfast. At work some low fat protein (fish or chicken) with veggies, without carbs, plus a large salad and whatever sauce they poured on the meat. At home usually some more low fat meat, some veggies plus some carbs. I was usually a bit hungry over the day when I stuck to it. What did me in a couple of time was stress eating (snacks) and compensating for low energy due to poor sleep with lots of sugary coffee. It's not a diet recommendation. I jsut think your way of eating wouldn't work for me at all. Unless I am missing something of course.

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. And thanks for sharing. Hopefully you find a way of eating that keeps you happy and allows you to stay at your target weight.

Ok, Warrior Diet/IF makes it easier for me to understand. But things like 3 pieces of fruit, steamed veggies, 6 eggs plus a salad over a whole day sound a bit odd. Both for overall calories and protein it sounds very. Do you add a ton of oil or fat (dressing) to your salads or do you make up for these low calorie days with pizza and soda?

Last year I dieted down to 205lbs and 5 eggs + some toast + an orange was my breakfast. At work some low fat protein (fish or chicken) with veggies, without carbs, plus a large salad and whatever sauce they poured on the meat. At home usually some more low fat meat, some veggies plus some carbs. I was usually a bit hungry over the day when I stuck to it. What did me in a couple of time was stress eating (snacks) and compensating for low energy due to poor sleep with lots of sugary coffee. It's not a diet recommendation. I jsut think your way of eating wouldn't work for me at all. Unless I am missing something of course.
I would say I compensate too much with the pizza and soda. Allot of it is bloat from all the saltiness of the food.

I think I'm on the path to success.

Morning Bodyweight
    • I am back on plan.
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 62 bpm
  • 3(5) 24kg Goblet Squat
Off Day

Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 61 bpm
Variety Day Squatting for Strength
  • 5(5) 28kg Goblet Squat
Variety Day
  • 47sec 28kg Rack Hold
  • 3(5) 28kg TH Swing
  • 5(1) -- 28kg Turkish Get Up
  • 3(1) 24kg Snatch

Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 60 bpm
Variety Day Squatting for Strength
  • 5(5) 28kg Goblet Squat
Variety Day
  • 5(5) 28kg Loaded Cleans
  • 3(5) 28kg TH Swing
  • 5(1) 28kg Turkish Get Up
  • 3(1) 24kg Snatch

End of Week 3
  • Everything is feeling great.
  • A couple missteps here and there with the diet. I think I'm on the right path now. A sort of modified warrior diet you could call it :
    • Fruit and coffee during the day. Maybe some light protein depending on the type of fruit.
    • A whey shake with milk and a large salad for lunch.
    • Steamed veggies and a protein source for dinner.
    • 3 Scoops of Casein Pudding for desert.
      • This increases my protein per day by 75 grams.
    • Multivitamin, Creatine and a Fish Oil after dinner.
  • I've been slacking on the steps and stretching before bed. So this week I will be more diligent with them.

Beginning of Week 4

Morning Bodyweight

Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 62 bpm
  • 3(5) 24kg Goblet Squat
Light Day
  • 5(1) 24kg Military Press
    • Superset
  • 5(1) Tactical Pull Up
  • 9 Minute 20kg Snatches
    • 3L/3R each Minute
      • 54 Total Snatches

Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 63 bpm
  • Off
Off Day

Last edited:
Midweek Notes
  • Putting in the complete Simple and Sinister Warm-Up as a daily Routine. Pretty much adding in hip bridges and halos to my already daily goblet squats.
  • My weight has been fluctuating which I attribute to three things : creatine, salt and casein before bed. I may have a slight casein allergy which I'm carefully monitoring. My resting heart rate has been rising, not to any ridiculous level but it began when I started eating casein before bed.
  • Instead of supersetting chin ups with my presses, I've decided to pursue the fighter pull up program. It's easier for me to focus on things separately than everything combined. Plus, I can easily get my chin ups in for the day during my morning routine.
  • I feel great but the weight fluctuations can be discouraging but my chin ups are getting easier.

Last edited:
Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 63 bpm
  • Off
Fighter Pull Up Plan - 3rm
  • Day 1
RoP Off Day
  • Off Day

Last edited:
Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 61 bpm
S&S Warm Up for Mobility
  • 3(5) 24kg Paused Goblet Squat
  • 3(5) SF Hip Bridges
  • 3(10) 16kg Halo
  • Day 2
RoP Medium Day
  • 5(1,2) 24kg Clean and Press
  • 10 Minute 24kg TH Swings
    • 8 each Minute
      • 80 Total Swings

Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 61 bpm
S&S Warm Up for Mobility
  • 3(5) SF Hip Bridges
  • 3(10) 16kg Halo
  • Day 3
RoP Heavy Day
  • 1(1,2,3,4) 24kg Clean and Press
  • 4(1,2,3) 24kg Clean and Press
  • 10 Minute 24kg TH Swings
    • 10 each Minute
      • 100 Total Swings

Morning Bodyweight
  • N/A
    • I'll log tomorrow morning once again.
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 63 bpm
S&S Warm Up for Mobility
  • 3(5) SF Hip Bridges
  • 3(10) 16kg Halo
  • Day 4
RoP Variety Day
  • Didn't Do Anything

Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 65 bpm
S&S Warm Up for Strength
  • 3(5) 28kg Paused Goblet Squat
  • 3(5) SF Hip Bridges
  • 3(10) 16kg Halo
  • Day 5
RoP Variety Day
  • 5(5) 28kg Loaded Clean
  • 5(1) 28kg Turkish Get Up
  • 3(5) 28kg TH Swing
  • 3(1) 24kg Snatch

End of Week 4
  • Everything is feeling good. Doing my pull-ups separately in the morning using the fighter pull up plan is a game changer. It allows me to focus directly on the press, less grip fatigue and allows me to put more into my swings/snatches.
  • I've been focusing on doing the S&S warm-up in addition to all of my other mobility work. I've been doing goblet squats all along but I decided that it wouldn't hurt to throw in the SF hip bridge and the kettlebell halo.
  • The diet was shaky the last couple of days but luckily I'm back on track.
  • This is the longest in a long time I've stuck to a single program. I can't lie and say that the temptation to switch hasn't been there, but I'm staying steady.

Beginning of Week 5

Morning Bodyweight

Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 63 bpm
Simple and Sinister Warm-Up for Mobility
  • 3(5) SF Hip Bridge
  • 3(10) 16kg Kettlebell Halo
  • Day 6 -- Off Day
RoP Light Day
  • 1(1,2) 24kg Military Press
  • 4(1) 24kg Military Press
  • 11 Minute 20kg Snatches
    • 3L/3R each Minute
      • 66 Total Snatches

Last edited:
Morning Bodyweight
Yesterday's Step Count
Resting Heart Rate
  • 64 bpm
Simple and Sinister Warm-Up for Mobility
  • Off
  • Day 7
    • 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1
RoP Off Day
  • Off

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom