all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Step up

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why not find some hills near home and ruck? The problem with stepups for serious hikes is no eccentric portion. Hiking a mountain - you go up and then down.

I used to run in the Jasper to Banff relay race in Canada. (The first generation course going from Jasper to Banff in 17 legs). There were two really tough uphill legs - which I never ran, but could have. One was up to the Columbia ice fields. The flip side of that was running down from the ice fields to the Saskatchewan landing area. Something like a drop of 1,000 or 1500 metres over a 15 km course. As a 200 lb runner there was no way I could have done the downhill. In Jasper the day after the race if you saw a runner taking the wheelchair entrance instead of steps you knew they had run down from the ice fields.

For a serious mountain I’d ruck long for conditioning and do the stepups as strength training.

@Gary Wilson
I concur with @Hobbes

If you have access to real mountains then that would be (is) my first choice. There really is no decent substitute; and for a variety of reasons.
That being said… if you don’t have access to mountains or real hills then box steps can be your friend. I would do a combination of rucking, running, and step-ups. I would also run and ruck on trails as much as possible. (In fact… this is exactly what I am currently doing in preparation for a climbing trip.)

Whilst I have super close access to mountains; this time of year is dangerously hot to properly train on them.

Also very true as you know, is the downhill portion can be pretty demanding, and I’ve been that guy taking the wheelchair ramp instead of the stairs…

My 2 € cents:

I have been doing 50cm/20inch (dining room chair) step ups for 20-40 minutes at a moderate pace for about a month. The height is too much for me to work at a pace to really get my heart rate up. I use a sturdy chair on a carpet and there is a little movement that makes me reluctant to push the pace.

But overall I like it as a convenient way to burn some extra calories with minimal recovery cost. I don't check my heart rate so I don't know if I get some LISS gains. But it is definitely way more intense than my 45+ minute walk. :D

Have people any thoughts on knee health in connection to this ? Can it be too much if you think of doing this type og training and that your knee ought to be healthy long into old age.

I have talked with some people older than 60, healthy people, who say that mountains hiking causes pain in their knees.

Maybe it was a bit on the side, but I just thought that gentleness with the knees was one of the advantages of swings.

@Anders as i writed in another post in this thread it was my Physiotherapist that recommend me step-up on this hight(50cm) for my bad knee.

Have people any thoughts on knee health in connection to this ? Can it be too much if you think of doing this type og training and that your knee ought to be healthy long into old age.

I have talked with some people older than 60, healthy people, who say that mountains hiking causes pain in their knees.

Maybe it was a bit on the side, but I just thought that gentleness with the knees was one of the advantages of swings.
Too many variables to make blanket statements. Some people are going to predisposed to ‘bad’ knees, and some aren’t. Some knees can take years of use (abuse) and some can’t. I’ve been running, hiking, and climbing in the mountains for 50 years and my knees are in pretty good shape (considering).

I know other folks whose knees are trashed.

58 here, mtn. bike on flat ground, big gear, interval style helped me keep my motor when I could not jog for 8 months. Pain walking, but could hammer the bike without pain. ?? Glad I kept my bike tuned up.

My 2 € cents:

I have been doing 50cm/20inch (dining room chair) step ups for 20-40 minutes at a moderate pace for about a month. The height is too much for me to work at a pace to really get my heart rate up. I use a sturdy chair on a carpet and there is a little movement that makes me reluctant to push the pace.

But overall I like it as a convenient way to burn some extra calories with minimal recovery cost. I don't check my heart rate so I don't know if I get some LISS gains. But it is definitely way more intense than my 45+ minute walk. :D
This is what im hoping to do, days i cant get out for a run or after a long day driving it could be a convenient way to get the blood flowing for 20 mins or so

This is what im hoping to do, days i cant get out for a run or after a long day driving it could be a convenient way to get the blood flowing for 20 mins or so
Just the Way i look at it.
Im just get alone with a kid at 5 years old every other week and then its not easy to get out an run.

I hear these people that complain of bad knees. It’s not because they’ve been so active that they abused them. I’ve hiked almost every trail in Shenandoah NP at over 60. I abuse my knees in between.1D0C40EC-E079-48D0-A10D-48D98910EF63.jpeg

I've been doing Peterson step-ups for a few months and they've eliminated a lot of nagging knee pain.

As for the Bob Backlund workout, I trained with someone who went to the Kodokan to train and he said that instead of running stairs, they would bunny hop from stair to stair. He said it was the most grueling leg workout he's ever done, but he also said when he came back his legs were endlessly powerful.

Hello,

To add to @3letterslong great post. It seems that in general, step ups or stair climbing can be a simple and effective way to build strong and powerful leg.

Old time strongman Bobby Pandour seemed to use this:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

To add to @3letterslong great post. It seems that in general, step ups or stair climbing can be a simple and effective way to build strong and powerful leg.

Old time strongman Bobby Pandour seemed to use this:

Kind regards,

Pet'
unnamed.jpg

Whoa.

Hello @3letterslong

As I am a bad loser and not fairplay: he has good genetics, train all day long, and does not train the way he states :p

All kidding aside, he has an impressive physique but I do think that's something possible to reach. For instance, on YT, you can find a lot of calisthenics athletes who perform massive amounts of lunges, squats and burpees with similar legs. I guess the key is to build athleticism, meaning a mix of strength and power with "real world" moves.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Just to keep gathering step up related topics:

Kind regards,

Pet'

I used my new step today, 10kg vest 20min avg HR 97, started to creap up the last 5mins as was starting to get a little harder.

I quite liked it, I'll have to work on increasing time

I used my new step today, 10kg vest 20min avg HR 97, started to creap up the last 5mins as was starting to get a little harder.

I quite liked it, I'll have to work on increasing time
But if your goal is some form of ‘cardio’ a HR at 97 isnt much.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom