all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Step up

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
No thats what i thought, similar HR to a ruck.
Id Probably have to do for 40 - 60min to get my HR similar to my MAF runs
I would have guessed it would be higher. You are maybe in fantastic shape ;-)

I would have guessed it would be higher. You are maybe in fantastic shape ;-)
I dont think so ha, maybe i need to go faster, or have a higher step.
I didnt go slow really though only allowed the foot to touch the floor for a split second before going back up.
Screenshot_20220630-074719_Connect.jpg

The first 12-15 mins look like just warming up, creeping up towards the end so probably just need to do it longer

Last edited:
Hello,

Step up training is based on the Harvard step test. The pace is 30 step per minute:

It is probably hard to maintain this pace with a weight vest for long duration though...

Conditioning wise, I think that a combination of step up (possibly with a weight vest) and burpees can be great: burpees will be more of squat dominant move and high step up will be more of hamstring dominan move.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Step up training is based on the Harvard step test. The pace is 30 step per minute:

It is probably hard to maintain this pace with a weight vest for long duration though...

Conditioning wise, I think that a combination of step up (possibly with a weight vest) and burpees can be great: burpees will be more of squat dominant move and high step up will be more of hamstring dominan move.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd rather do walking lunges wearing a weight vest.

If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go for a hundred meters down and back to start.

Hello @watchnerd

Bobby Maximus has something along these lines, unweighted though:

Below an alternative:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Walking lunges are tough for many people - unweighted is a good place to start for many.

But if you were doing weighted burpees....

I dont think so ha, maybe i need to go faster, or have a higher step.
I didnt go slow really though only allowed the foot to touch the floor for a split second before going back up.
View attachment 18165

The first 12-15 mins look like just warming up, creeping up towards the end so probably just need to do it longer
If for some reason you want your HR to go ’through the roof’… increase your cadence and the load. I don’t use box steps for this purpose on the regular, but you can really get smoked if that’s your thing…

If for some reason you want your HR to go ’through the roof’… increase your cadence and the load. I don’t use box steps for this purpose on the regular, but you can really get smoked if that’s your thing…
No, i would like it to replicate a MAF run 125-135 bpm, that would be nice.

It was still good and i enjoyed doing it, i had to constantly think about my feet and which one to step up, step down ha

20mins went very quick which i didn't expect, will probably do it for 30 to 40 next time

Hello

+1 to @offwidth
If for some reason, the step up feels "weird", it is also possible to do stair climbing. I live in a building, so it is relatively convenient because I do not have to go up and down every minutes... The advantage of the stair over the box is that you really go up as much as you go down so it mimics better the real world. In this case, we do not have the issue of "quad dominant vs hamstring dominant" exercise.

Kind regards,

Pet'

determined-friends-doing-step-aerobics-in-gym-picture-id186779871

This thread is giving me deja vu.... ;)

No, i would like it to replicate a MAF run 125-135 bpm, that would be nice.

It was still good and i enjoyed doing it, i had to constantly think about my feet and which one to step up, step down ha

20mins went very quick which i didn't expect, will probably do it for 30 to 40 next time
Twenty minutes is not long enough. Go for two hours or so, and you will have a different result. Maf does you no good for 20 minutes, even if you upped weight to the point you could reach it. Derek Toshner (who happens to teach All-Terrain athlete seminars, and is a beast) does this a bunch.

There are great recommendations on step up training by @Derek Toshner; building on the step up article by Kenneth Bolyard.

Variability optionslightmediumheavy
Step ups per minute151923
Box heightB-20%B*B+20%
Rucksack weightR-20%RR+20%
*B = medium box height, 75% of bent knee height (see article)

Roll a die for each option before training.
When getting the same variation as in the session before, roll again.

I have also made a simple excel sheet for calculating this table and the HR-ranges.

I will check out this, if I can find it as a podcast, but what does (R) in the chart stand for under "Rucksack Weight" ?

Last edited:
When I did Crossfit, they had one exercise I absolutely LOVED: walking lunges combined with alternating overhead dumbbell presses. It's like a harder version of dumbbell thrusters.

Well, your medium rucksack weight. Whatever you consider medium.
OK. I thought there was maybe a recommended % of bodyweight.

I mainly use a hybrid program of the Kenneth Bolyard program and something similar to this. I have read , and listened to anything I can find about Toshner's training.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I virtually only ever do box steps (or rucking for that matter) whilst I am prepping for a climbing trip. To that end I try to target a pack weight identical to what I will be climbing with; or perhaps a kilo or so more at the most.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom