all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Step up

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You loved the training effect or enjoyed it?
Both, I guess. I was doing boxing / kickboxing at the time and this exercise was the only one I've ever found that closely mimics the feeling in a round as you're starved of oxygen, it feels like your internal organs are shutting down one by one, but you have to keep moving. I guess lunges and overhead presses are just so basic that it's almost impossible for the form to degrade to a point where I'm no longer doing the movement. If I was going to get that same feeling with KB swings, for example, I'd have to switch to a smaller bell and keep going or my form would start to get injurious with the bigger bell.

yikes!

I've done lots of weighted walking lunges, but never felt that!
That kind of oxygen deprivation is a bizarre feeling, where you have to keep moving despite everything or you're going to get smashed, but you never forget it. And pressing lunges were the only movement that ever got me there outside of boxing.

TBF it was never the lunges themselves, in isolation, as they were always in one of those crossfit circuits, but it was the lunges that got me to that exact point. Other exercises wouldn't let me go deep enough into my reserves. Like dumbbell thrusters: they're great, but when your legs fail, you're done, no more movement. With the lunges, one leg would fail, but I could still do a rep with the other leg, and then the first leg would be recovered enough, the the other leg would be recovered enough and you could always eke out more movement.

determined-friends-doing-step-aerobics-in-gym-picture-id186779871

This thread is giving me deja vu.... ;)

My main mode of fitness from age 25-40....

Funny thing, I youTube'd one of my old favorites a couple of years ago and tried it. It was challenging and a good workout! But then I reminded myself, I don't workout anymore, I train....

My main mode of fitness from age 25-40....

Funny thing, I youTube'd one of my old favorites a couple of years ago and tried it. It was challenging and a good workout! But then I reminded myself, I don't workout anymore, I train....

I mean, I think we can take that "I train" motif to an extreme, don't you?

I let myself just "workout" about one to two days a week, and in the summer, I'll do it outside.

Adds movement variety, keeps me sane, and lets me do fun stuff like work on mace routines bare chested with a beer next to the BBQ. ;)

Nothing harmful in just getting sweaty, moving to music, and having fun sometimes, especially if we get to work on our tans at the same time.

I let myself just "workout" about one to two days a week, and in the summer, I'll do it outside.

Adds movement variety, keeps me sane, and lets me do fun stuff like work on mace routines bare chested with a beer next to the BBQ. ;)

Nothing harmful in just getting sweaty, moving to music, and having fun sometimes, especially if we get to work on our tans at the same time.
Most of the time I workout. Occasionally I'll train...

Yeah, I was being facetious ...

One of those things where you become a convert, and then learn a little more and realize it isn't that big of a deal... Exercise is exercise.

And yet, having been in both, I can say that the mindset really is profoundly different.

Yeah, I was being facetious ...

Well, if it makes you feel better...

Tonight's "exer-training" was walking my neighborhood with my stainless steel war bar and doing stupid stuff like clean rack deliveries, klokov presses, snatch grip overhead lunges, overhead squats, and no contact muscle snatches as I walked, like a big ole dork.

Tried a metronome this morning set at 19bpm, definitely helped me keep my pace up when i might have slowed, not sure i could have gone much faster

25min avg HR 118 max HR 129

My legs really aren't used to this kind of workout

Tried a metronome this morning set at 19bpm, definitely helped me keep my pace up when i might have slowed, not sure i could have gone much faster

25min avg HR 118 max HR 129

My legs really aren't used to this kind of workout
How high is the box you are using?

I had a really long day at work yesterday, woke up feeling tired so just went for a 20min walk.
Came home this evening with a little energy left wanted to go for a quick mtb ride but we are going out so decided to do some step ups for 20mins

15bpm just bodyweight, nice steady recovery just to get moving after sitting alot today.
Screenshot_20220705-184215_Connect.jpg

I really like how it can be tweaked to aim for what ever HR goal you want.
Thinking it will crossover well to MTB too.

Biggest problem is fighting the boredom haha

For me rucking didn't workout as i had to find hills to get my HR even slightly more elevated than regular walking, or would have to add so much weight would have just been uncomfortable, this is a perfect way to get my HR where i want it.

I think this will be a valuable tool for me

No one has posted this for a while, but earlier in the thread a whole bunch of people were writing that step-ups were only concentric. What equipment are we talking about that that’s the case? If you do them on a stair machine, fine, but otherwise you need to come down off the box/step and if you do them on a hill/stairs you potentially need to go back down the way you came, so there’s still just as much eccentric loading as concentric loading in all those cases.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

No one has posted this for a while, but earlier in the thread a whole bunch of people were writing that step-ups were only concentric. What equipment are we talking about that that’s the case? If you do them on a stair machine, fine, but otherwise you need to come down off the box/step and if you do them on a hill/stairs you potentially need to go back down the way you came, so there’s still just as much eccentric loading as concentric loading in all those cases.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT
Well it’s true that you do have to step down but you are generally stepping down ‘backwards’, (i.e. the same way you stepped up), unless of course you step down on the opposite side of the box; in which case you would be mimicking the way you come down a hill.

Down and back football field walking lunges-
Without stopping? That’s at least 200 per leg I imagine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom