all posts post new thread

Strong mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sunday 13th May
Morning mobility routine, leg swings. Stiff.

Swings session
1H swing, EMOM, 7 min, 32kg x 10, 10, 10 10, 10, 10, (5+5)
Low volume session. 32kg feels relatively light again. A few more sessions with 32kg, and I will reintroduce the 40kg.
With all the discussion about the new Push band, I decided to give a try and ordered it. I will report back when I receive it in a few weeks.

Monday 14th May
Morning mobility routine. Leg swings.

Strength session
Deadlift: 110kg x 4, 6, 4
Double overhand, touch and go. I am not a fan of touch and go deadlift, but I am giving it a try with light deadlifts.
Barbell press: 40kg x 6, 45kg x 4
Light days are always "hard" in the sense that there is a feeling of "It is too easy". This is the difference between training and workout... Not all sessions should be hard, but all sessions have a purpose within the entire training process.

Assistance
Light bench press: 65kg x 4, 4, 3
Not pushing too much. I stop as soon as the lift is barely starting to leave the "easy" territory. Technical work.
Hanging leg raise: 5, 5, 5
Happy to see the progress I have done within a few weeks.

Mobility
Flexible steel program minimum@20kg.

Later,
Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg, 15 sets of 10 reps.
With HR monitor. Average at 138 (72% MHR), peak toward the end at 169 (88%). I wish I could also track power. Soon...

Tuesday 15th May
Mobility routine, leg swings.

Strength
Barbell press: 45kg x 3, 4, 50kg x 2, 55kg x 1, 45kg x 3, 50kg x 2
All felt easy. Double kb work clearly helped.

Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 130kg x 3, 140kg x 2, 150kg x 1, 120kg x 5
Most with an alternate grip today.

Assistance
KB Getup: 28kg, 1+1, with 5 sec pauses.
Swings
1H-swings, EMOM, 32kg, 10 sets of 10.

Mobility

Z-press, 16kg x (3+3) for 3 sets

Wednesday 16th May

Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM, 28kg: 6+6, 6+6, 0, 6+6, 6+6
Working on keeping the bell close. I need to tame the arch better. HR got high, 75% average, 93% peak. Definitely not A&A training for me...

Thursday 17th May
Morning mobility routine.

Strength session
Barbell press: 45kg x 3, 4, 5, 50kg x 2, 55kg x 1, 45kg x 5
55 not fast, but not hard either. Power breathing before each set, then clean with no knee bend. Feeling good. I had a lot left in the tank at 55kg.

Deadlift: 110kg x 3, 120kg x 3, 4, 130kg x 5
All DOH except last 3 reps at 130kg.
Last time, a PT told me that I was rounding my back, which I was convinced I didn't.
So I filmed today, to be sure. Indeed, my back is ok. Actually, as I wearing pants that are relatively high on the waist, when I hinge, they are not close to the back, and it gives an apparence of low back rounding if the shirt is not in the pants. Good to know for demonstration purpose.

Assistance
Light bench press: 65kg x 5, 4, 3

Later,
Swing session
1H swing, EMOM, 32kg: 12 sets of 10, 1 set (5+5).
I am going for almost daily swings, randomly varying the volume, but keeping the load at a manageable 32kg for the time and not pushing the clock. The goal is to support my Wednesday's snatch progression (hip hinge, anti-rotation, grip).

Friday 18th May
Morning mobility routine, leg swings (high and loose).

Strength session
Barbell press: 45kg x 3, 4, 5, 50kg x 4, 45kg x 3, 50kg x 2, 45kg x 4
The program called for 2 sets of 2 at 50kg, I just wanted to test 4 reps. It was easy.
Deadlift: DOH, 120kg x 3, 5, 130kg x 3, 120kg x 4 (3 DOH), then alt grip, 150kg x 1, 130kg x 3, 120kg x 3, 130kg x 3
Wedging...

Assistance
KB floor press: 28kg x (5+5), (5+5), (5+5)
Relatively easy. Better feeling of the lats. I expect a good carryover to my bench press, as I am improving my shoulder packing in the horizontal press. Not yet the time to floor press the 32, but soon.
They keep improving. Much more controlled. I will surely keep one or two sessions per week, to keep the groove.

Saturday 19th May

Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg: 8 sets of 10, 1 set of (5+5)
No motivation. I just went through.
Having less than 10 minutes to tick the box makes it easier to do the training, when willpower is lacking.

Monday 21st May
Morning mobility routine, leg swings.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 3 (all DOH), 130kg x 3 (2 DOH)
Barbell press: 40kg x 3, 4, 5, 45kg x 3, 5

Assistance
Going a little bit more slowly, working on control. Now that I can perform them, I am starting to like those!

Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg: 12 sets of 10

Mobility
Flexible steel PM@24kg

Tuesday 22nd May

Morning spent to film a few additional videos for online training. All outdoor. Swing and getup.

So in the afternoon,
Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 5, 130kg x 4 (DOH), 140kg x 2 (alt), 130kg x 3 (alt), 120kg x 3, 4 (3 DOH), 130kg x 4 (alt), 120kg x 5 (alt)
Grip a bit too tired to pull 140kg this way. A bit long session, but not hard.

Barbell press: 40kg x 3, 4, 5, 50kg x 4, 45kg x 3, 4, 5, 50kg x 3
50kg feels easy again. The loaded clean prior to the press helps to have the right tension. I really enjoy presses much more when it is done with a clean first, rather than from the rack.

Assistance
Light bench press: 65kg x 5, 4, 3
Still not easy. I found that I need to improve my arch. It is degrading with reps. The first one is usually nice, and then the remaining ones keep getting worse.

Later,
Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg : 6 sets of 10, 1 set of (5+5)

Wednesday 23rd May

Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM, 28kg: 5+5, 5+5, 0, 5+5, 5+5
Not my best session. Just went through.

Thursday 24th May

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 3
All DOH except the very last one. I started the lift, but midway to the knee, I felt my grip was unsure. That would mean a rush at the top and maybe not locking out properly, so I put it down, switched to alternate, and made an easy lift. Still a good training overall for my grip.

Barbell press: 45kg x 3, 4, 3, 50kg x 4, 55kg x 1, 45kg x 3
55 was easy. I wish I had the PUSH band already, because I could track the power generated in the lift, which would probably be a better indicator on how easy the lift actually is than my feeling.

Then I went on my way to do some more videos. Lots of swings and other stuff, but all with 24 or 2x24 only.

Later on,
Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg: 8 sets of 10, 1 set of (5+5)
Maybe soon re-introducing 40kg.

Friday 25th May

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 4, 130kg x 2 (all DOH), 140kg x 2 (alt), 120kg x 3, 4 (DOH), 5 (alt)
Grip a bit tired to ensure a safe lift at 140kg. So close, but still not there yet. At least not after 18 deadlifts ! But the double at 130kg was relatively easy with a double over-hand, so there is still progress.

Barbell press: 40kg x 4, 50kg x 2, 40kg x 6, 50kg x 1
Easy day, solid cleans.

Assistance
Getup, 28kg: 1+1, 1+1, 1+1
28 is the new 24. It is easy and solid. I will soon restart to do more getup with the 32kg too.
Last rep not good, but all other very solid. A few more weeks consolidating and I might add some fun variations.

Mobility
Flexible steel PM@20kg
Windmill, 20kg: 3+3

I received this morning two indian clubs, hand made by an artisan after an order from my strong colleague Laurent. Beautiful work.

Monday 28th May
Recovering from a weekend in the mountains in central Slovakia with no training and a few beers...

Strength session
Deadlift: 110kg x 6, 120kg x 3, 110kg x 4
All DOH. Light, low volume. Focus on perfecting the technique (wedging mainly).

Barbell press: 40kg x 4, 45kg x 4, 3, 3, 50kg x 1
Very light. Good time to focus on perfect technique (crisp reception for the clean, with no knee bend, no leaning back while pressing)

Assistance
Light bench press: 65kg x 5, 5, 5

Good to keep the bench light. I found a better positioning of my feet, that allow me to keep a good arch for the 5 reps. It was and still is my worst lift, technically speaking.

Mobility
Windmill@20kg, 3+3
Flexible steel program minimum @20kg

Much later,
Swing session
1H swing, EMOM, 32kg: 14 sets of 10

Tuesday 29th May

Strength session
Deadlift: 110kg x 4, 6, 120kg x 4, 4, 140kg x 2, 150kg x 1
All DOH except 150kg. I tried, but after lifting for 5 cm, I felt my grip would not make it to the top, so I put the bar down, switched to alternate grip, and made an easy lift. Progress are slow on DOH, but on the other hand, they make my alternate grip lifts feel easy.

Assistance
KB floor press, 28kg, 5+5, 5+5
No time for more. It has turned to be the lift that makes me feel my lat the most. Certainly a very good assistance for my bench press.

Wednesday 30th May
A few videos, then...
Snatch session
Snatch, EMOM, 28kg: 6+6, 6+6, 0,6+6, 6+6
Better than last time. 4 more weeks, and I may test 32kg snatches.

Thursday 31th May

Swing session
1H-swing, EMOM, 32kg: 10 sets
I received the push band. First try. I need some more usage before really having an opinion, but it should be an interesting tool.

Mobility
For the past few days, I have playing with indian club bells. I am still learning the basics, but it is fun and my shoulders like it. I have two wooden clubs, that have been made by an artisan in France, and sent to me by my StrongFirst colleague Laurent. Very nice objects.
Jean-François Lopez on Instagram: “Working the basics with new hand made wooden indian clubs (thanks to Laurent). Not ready yet for double clubs, but hopefully soon. Great…”

Fun fact
Despite willing not to test my kettlebell press, I decided to see if the 28kg was still going up. I was still a bit tired after the swings, but not too much. I cleaned it (felt heavier than usual), got tighter, pressed, and...
It stalled above my eyes, at the usual sticking point. So it was a missed. By not much, but still a miss. I was a bit puzzled that I could not press a 28kg.
Then three hours later, I realized that I had tried to press the 32kg... :)
The 28 is still going up easily. The 32 is around the corner.

Friday 1st June
Morning mobility routine + 1 pistol each side, leg swings, single Indian club play.

Strength session
Deadlift: 110kg x 4, 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 3
All DOH except the fifth rep of the set of 5. Low intensity, so not hard.

Barbell press: 40kg x 4, 45kg x 3, 50kg x 2, 45kg x 5, 50kg x 4, 45kg x 3
I grouped again two sets of 2 at 50kg together to save time. 4 reps at this weight very easy.

Assistance
Forcing myself to spend more time at the setup (hollow positon, shoulders down) and to lock straight, not up, to ensure I am not leaning back, but folding. Getting better, still a lot of work.

Light bench press: 65kg x 5, 3, 2
Going with less reps today. Technique, as usual. Feeling the connection from the feet to the lats.

Mobility
Flexible steel program minimum @24kg.

Saturday 2nd June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OAP L+R, indian clubs.

Swing session
1H swing, EMOM, 32kg: 16 sets of 10, 1 set of 5+5
Average HR 132. Good session.

Last edited:
Sunday 3rd June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OAP L+R, leg swings.

Swing session
1H Swing, EMOM: 32kg x 10, 32kg x 10, 40kg x 10, 40kg x 10, 32 x 10, 32 x 10
2H swing, 40kg x 10

Reintroducing the 40kg one-handed. I was surprised how powerfully I was able to swing it, even for ten reps. It was flying as high as the 32kg, and the measurement of velocity by the Push band confirmed that. I also used a HR monitor. There will be a few data to dig into later...

Last edited:
Monday 4th June
Morning mobility routine, pistol L+R, OAP L+R, leg swings, single indian club play.

Strength session
Barbell press: 45kg x 3, 4, 5, 50kg x 2, 55kg x 1
Trying to track velocity with the Push band, but as I start with a power clean, the band is confused. :) I am still learning to use the tool. Every lift was very easy, even with relatively little rest between sets.

Deadlift: 120kg x 5, 130kg x 2, 3
All DOH. No trouble.

I intend to test a SortOfMax deadlift and barbell press at the end of the month, so I am reducing volume and upping average relative intensity.

Assistance
KB floor press: 28kg x (5+5), 32kg x (3+3), 28kg x (5+5)

I press the 28kg with straight legs, and the 32kg with bend legs. The additional leg drive is a way to make the 4kg gap not so hard.

Swing session
1H swing, EMOM, 32kg: 12 sets of 10, 1 set of (5+5)
Still keeping the 32 as the main bell. Not forcing the 40kg yet. It is getting easier, my HR goes down under 65%MHR usually before the next set for almost 10 sets, average under 70%.

Mobility
Flexible steel PM@24kg.

Tuesday 5th June
Morning mobility routine, Pistol L+R, OLP/OAP L+R, single indian club play, leg swings.

Strength session
Deadlift: 120kg x 3, 4, 5, 130kg x 2, 3 (all DOH), 140kg x 1 (alt), 150kg x 3
With Push band on the bar. Still collecting data. Analysis will come later. What I see is that 150kg may not be as fast as 120kg, but it is not that slow either. It seems I have some reserve here.

Barbell press: 45kg x 5, 50kg x 4, 45kg x 3, 50kg x 3, 45kg x 5
Easy. Feet relatively close: not a strict military press yet, but not far.

Mobility
Windmill@20kg x (3+3)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom