all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strong! Program Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Eugenio, that sounds like a great plan. I tried something similar years back, doing clean and presses and trap bar deadlifts and yet another time doing the presses and front squats. At my age now I wouldn't do it as the 4 days of "heavy" type work hammered me. From my experience, take it easy on off days.

After an email exchange with Geoff Neupert this week I started using Strong with the following format (2 lifts Double Clean & Press KBs kg 36 and Barbell Zercher Squat kg 107)
Day 1 Double Clean & Press
Day 2 Zercher Squat Barbell
Day 4 Double Clean & Press
Day 5 Zercher Squat Barbell

For the Warm Up (and fun) a very easy complex with double KBs kg 24 (Double Snatch, Double Swing, Double Clean, Double MP, FSQ) usualy 5 sets with 2/3 reps

@Eugenio ....sorry about that, I meant to put this as a quote in my last post! I am a bit "techno challenged"!

Thoughts on running the first 8 weeks of strong M/W/F along side q&d 044 snatches tuesday/Thursday/ sat or something along those lines

Thoughts on running the first 8 weeks of strong M/W/F along side q&d 044 snatches tuesday/Thursday/ sat or something along those lines

Provx,

Doubtful it would work. That's A LOT of stimulation on the lower back and CNS.

MAYBE M/Th - "Strong!", Tu/Fri - Q&D...

Remember, Q&D is MAX Power - 1.6s/snatch is FAST. It has the potential to burn you out.

@Kettlebelephant had a great idea - 2 days of "Strong!" w/ DFSQ and 2 days of Plan 044.

OR...

You could follow the "Short Course" with the following modifications:

Phase 1: Run it with 5 minutes rest between sets.
Phase 2: Run it with 4 minutes rest between sets.
Phase 3: Run it with 3 minutes rest between sets.
Phase 4: Run it with 2 minutes rest between sets.

Hope that helps.

@Geoff Neupert
Could the DFSQ version of Strong! be run with uneven bells, with 8 kg difference?
For example 16+24, or 24+32 kg, of course switching sides each set.

Anyone still using the One program along with Strong? I’ve used it on 2 previous cycles. It’s brutal but very effective. With the move towards AG approach I wonder how it fits in that sphere?

Anyone still using the One program along with Strong? I’ve used it on 2 previous cycles. It’s brutal but very effective. With the move towards AG approach I wonder how it fits in that sphere?

Geoff just mentioned 2 days strong and 2 days 044 that's one path you can take

Conor78,

As I'm sure you know (but others may not), "One" is NOT Anti-glycolytic. If one was looking to use it as a part of AGT training, use it as a [long-ish] peaking cycle.

Hope that helps.

@Geoff Neupert
Could the DFSQ version of Strong! be run with uneven bells, with 8 kg difference?
For example 16+24, or 24+32 kg, of course switching sides each set.

Bauer,

Yes, anything is possible. Just be careful to practice the tension techniques so you stay tight and don't shift your hips, overload one side, and open yourself up to injury.

Hope that helps.

For whatever reason today kicked my butt....got the 10x2s but am looking forward to doing nothing until monday! I dunno, maybe it's my age but I'm too tired to add "stuff" as the volume increases!

For whatever reason today kicked my butt....got the 10x2s but am looking forward to doing nothing until monday! I dunno, maybe it's my age but I'm too tired to add "stuff" as the volume increases!
@John Grahill do you think it's the volume or not enough rest? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall you use ~90sec rests between sets. Would you think resting 3-5min between sets would make a difference for you in terms of recovery?

@Kettlebelephant, probably not enough rest. As far as rest periods this is phase one so I really don't go crazy keeping them short. Matter of fact I kind of force at least 2.5 to 3 minutes between sets. As phase 2 progresses wherein rests are to be shorter....I've learned not to go crazy....if I need another minute, so be it!

You know as well as I do, some days are stronger/better than others!

Geoff, your Dry Fighting Weight and RMF programs are very popular here as well. I am wondering if you still recommend 30 minute sessions on those programs. Some of us here have discussed 15 to 20 minute sessions, especially for RMF

Geoff, your Dry Fighting Weight and RMF programs are very popular here as well. I am wondering if you still recommend 30 minute sessions on those programs. Some of us here have discussed 15 to 20 minute sessions, especially for RMF

Provx,

Yes, I would still recommend 30 minutes.

Remember, the rest periods are auto-regulated - the user is in control. This allows you to rest long enough to keep force output high (preferably as high as possible). So never feel the rush to use short[er] rest periods, especially with RMF.

Can one do 15 to 20 minute sessions?

Sure, especially if you're new-ish to double KB work (probably shouldn't be doing RMF, but DFW is fine...) that would work ok. But for maximum benefit, strive for 30 minutes. When all is said and done, it's only 1.5 hours of work in a 168 hour week. That's less than 1% of your weekly time.

If recovery is a concern, eat more (wholesome food - potatoes are great). Sleep more. (Get 7+ hours of sleep per night.) Don't "add" stuff to the program - like "variety" days, etc. When people do that, they're not doing "the program." And when they fail, they blame "the program." Walking and joint mobility work are fine on "off" days - they're health related and speed up the recovery process.

Hope that helps.

Geoff, what diet do you recommend for losing fat?
While doing KBStrong, so as to make progress?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom