all posts post new thread

Bodyweight The Great Gama Protocol (GPP)

@Anna C , @DuncanGB thank you! Let me know how it goes!

@Pavel Macek - so far, so GREAT!

Video: exemplary in every sense - perfect lighting, pacing, demonstration of all movements front and both sides

PDF: excellent content, but the proof-read version is evidently in need of a professional re-edit

Overall: already clear is that the GGP is way, way more than the sum of its parts, fully deserving, in part and/or whole, of dedicated daily practice

THANK YOU!

Last edited:
@Pavel Macek - so far, so GREAT!

Video: exemplary in every sense - perfect lighting, pacing, demonstration of all movements front and both sides

PDF: excellent content, but the proof-read version is evidently in need of a professional re-edit

Overall: already clear is that the GGP is way, way more than the sum of its parts, fully deserving, in part and/or whole, of dedicated daily practice

THANK YOU!

Thank you. I am working on the updated manual - both adding some content, and correcting my Czenglish. My English speaking friend did some corrections, but literally day before the launch. I am on it!

I am very glad you like it, please report after few weeks/months of practice.

Hi Pavel,

I got the program and I am slowly going trough the videos.
Congratulation, it's really a well thought product.

I have some questions, if you do not mind.

I have started ROP 3 weeks ago and I would like to use GGP as both daily recharge and variety day, while i am practising spinning a bulgarian bag.
Is it ok to use the big 3 on both the morning protocol and twice a week as main program? on the 2 variety days I would perform pushups and squat (and bridges) twice.

Do you have any forum or facebook page where we can post questions if needed, without hijaking the StrongFirst resources?

Hi Pavel,

I got the program and I am slowly going trough the videos.
Congratulation, it's really a well thought product.

I have some questions, if you do not mind.

I have started ROP 3 weeks ago and I would like to use GGP as both daily recharge and variety day, while i am practising spinning a bulgarian bag.
Is it ok to use the big 3 on both the morning protocol and twice a week as main program? on the 2 variety days I would perform pushups and squat (and bridges) twice.

Do you have any forum or facebook page where we can post questions if needed, without hijaking the StrongFirst resources?

Thank you for your kind words. As for Bulgarian bag, I can't comment - I never used it.

To your first question - yes, of course, you can use the program like this: it is pretty flexible. Just make sure that your variety program stay your variety program - easy, just for movement variety and health.

As for questions, feel free to ask here, or in the FB group (check the info under the first video, or the manual one the link).

@Steve Freides , thank you sir!

Thank you for your kind words. As for Bulgarian bag, I can't comment - I never used it.

To your first question - yes, of course, you can use the program like this: it is pretty flexible. Just make sure that your variety program stay your variety program - easy, just for movement variety and health.

As for questions, feel free to ask here, or in the FB group (check the info under the first video, or the manual one the link).

@Steve Freides , thank you sir!
Thanks for the prompt reply Pavel.

I'm 14 days into daily morning GGP practice. I'm really getting used to the "flow," and noticing much improvement in how I move and feel .

One thing that I'm still working on is smoothly stepping forward into the lunge from the Sun Salutations's downward dog position. I find that I need to use my hand to grab the ankle and assist getting it into the proper position.

I really love the program and look forward to it after my first cup of coffee every day!

I'm excited to see the updates, too. I just play around with the evening stretches but I tend to respond better to the main program's "do this" format.

I'm 14 days into daily morning GGP practice. I'm really getting used to the "flow," and noticing much improvement in how I move and feel .

One thing that I'm still working on is smoothly stepping forward into the lunge from the Sun Salutations's downward dog position. I find that I need to use my hand to grab the ankle and assist getting it into the proper position.

I really love the program and look forward to it after my first cup of coffee every day!

I'm excited to see the updates, too. I just play around with the evening stretches but I tend to respond better to the main program's "do this" format.

Excellent! Keep doing what you are doing. Our milage may very, it may take shorter or longer time, the main thing is - improvement!

I am gathering or the intel, adding small bits into the manual, once ready, I will release and updated version. Stay tuned!

I am also thinking of a free webinar for all GGP practitioners - again, stay tuned!

Just discovered this thread after a brief mention of GGP elsewhere. Was considering it but balked at the price, wondering if there was enough content new to me to justify it. Went back to the site to look for more background on it, and Doh! Too late, missed the sale. I guess I’ll keep doing the yoga and qigong I have been doing, maybe try to roll my own version. I hope this thread keeps going, I’d love to see how incorporate this into their other training and to what effect.

Just discovered this thread after a brief mention of GGP elsewhere. Was considering it but balked at the price, wondering if there was enough content new to me to justify it. Went back to the site to look for more background on it, and Doh! Too late, missed the sale. I guess I’ll keep doing the yoga and qigong I have been doing, maybe try to roll my own version. I hope this thread keeps going, I’d love to see how incorporate this into their other training and to what effect.
Woah, didn't realize it was 150 dollars.

Hi @Pavel Macek
I started GPP on day one and enjoying it very much so far. I noticed better perfomance in my kettlebell swings and also a big improvement in my shoulder mobility and flexibility because of the thoracic bridges - I'm very happy about this.

If you don't mind, you might answer three questions I have:
1. I practice GPP as a morning recharge. As I'm enyoing the exercises very much, is there a beneficial point going beyond the MED (reps=my age)?
2. My main practice is S&S (on my way to Simple) for 5-6x per week. Sometimes I practice S&S in the morning before I go to work due to my schedule. Can I still practice the GPP in combination as well? (for example start with arm swings and SS, then S&S, followed by Dands, Baithaks and Bridges as a cool down).
3. I'm intrigued by the long term goal of 100 dands and 200 baithaks as mentioned in the manual (GGP as main program). Whats your opinion on working towards the goal additionally? (for example: GGP as morning recharge daily + GGP "Big 3" on S&S off days or as cool down after S&S practice every other day).

Of course I don't want to push my body unnecessarily and perfect technique come first.

Also, one more question (slightly off topic):
I would to like to start practicing some loaded exercises from the SF Resilient Neck Series. Is it okay to do them in the morning? (I would like to do them after the GPP morning recharge).

Thank you very much in advance. I really appreciate your work.

@Tobias K. ,

First of all, thank you for your kind words - I am glad you like the GGP and reap the benefits. Happy to hear that. Onto your questions:

1. Traditionally, all exercises featured in GGP were done in higher reps (check out e.g. the info from the old Indian books about Sun salutation, or the legends about Indian wrestlers). I personally think it is too much - you will eventually hit a point of diminishing return. You can certainly do more of the Arm Swings and Sun Salutations - as for Dands, Baithaks, and Bridges, I would keep the total number or reps 100-200-100.

I personally follow Pavel's reps = your age formula.

2. Yes, you can - I would just avoid any spine flexion exercises before your S&S (forward bend in Sun Saluation). You want to prepare the body for the "vertical plank" and hinging a your hips. Otherwise - just like you wrote, all good.

3. I think it is actually easier than it looks (now). In your case, focus on Simple, and keep GGP really easy (it should be). Once you meet the timed Simple test, post again, and let's talk about it.

Neck in the morning - I would do them rather in the afternoon.

@Pavel Macek

First of all, thank you very much for your work, which is really very helpful. I specify that I followed the Resilient series as well as the Great Gama Protocol, which I really enjoy and apply as a morning recharge.

I have a series of questions that are a bit specific about the opening of the feet at the Hindu squat - and the Hack squat too. These came to me while practicing these two movements.

I'm wondering about the optimal angle for opening the feet. Do you use the same opening for hindu squat and hack squat (especially when you have a bell behind you)?
I have very open hips (I have a very important external rotation, and less mobility in internal rotation), is there a moment when the opening of the feet is too important? I suspect that there can't be an angle valid for everyone, but maybe an order of magnitude (between 45 and 90° maybe).

Finally, I wonder about the instruction for opening the hips: as far as I am concerned, if I really make the effort to open my hips, the angle between my femurs becomes more important than the one between my feet (and therefore the knees point more outward than my feet). Is this annoying? Or should we understand that one "pulls" the knee open but remains in the axis of the feet?

Thank you in advance
Matthieu

@Pavel Macek

First of all, thank you very much for your work, which is really very helpful. I specify that I followed the Resilient series as well as the Great Gama Protocol, which I really enjoy and apply as a morning recharge.

I have a series of questions that are a bit specific about the opening of the feet at the Hindu squat - and the Hack squat too. These came to me while practicing these two movements.

I'm wondering about the optimal angle for opening the feet. Do you use the same opening for hindu squat and hack squat (especially when you have a bell behind you)?
I have very open hips (I have a very important external rotation, and less mobility in internal rotation), is there a moment when the opening of the feet is too important? I suspect that there can't be an angle valid for everyone, but maybe an order of magnitude (between 45 and 90° maybe).

Finally, I wonder about the instruction for opening the hips: as far as I am concerned, if I really make the effort to open my hips, the angle between my femurs becomes more important than the one between my feet (and therefore the knees point more outward than my feet). Is this annoying? Or should we understand that one "pulls" the knee open but remains in the axis of the feet?

Thank you in advance
Matthieu

Matthieu, I personally prefer to open the feet/knees way more for the HSQ: please check the second video (end of it): Antifragile and Strong Knees: The Russian Lion’s Kettlebell Hack Squat Tutorial | StrongFirst

For the Baithaks, I just keep the naturally out.

For both, make sure your knees track your toes. Another tip: imagine your femur is an antenna - try to "make it longer".

Hi Pavel.

I am an Indian and have done these exercises in the traditional training arenas, the dangal or akhara as we call them. Your name of "youth-restoring calisthenics" is well chosen.

When I was 16-17, I tried a bridge (after seeing an actress do it in a movie) and messed up my back, specifically the left shoulder blade. I had pain in it for more than a year. X-rays didn't show anything. It was a kind of dull pain that would wax and wane. I tried some topical pain relievers but there was no relief. I even tried some traditional osteopath treatments as well, but they required a lot of prep and I couldn't use them regularly. The pain remained. Eventually, I got fed up and started doing Indian pushups (what you call Hindu pushups) and the pain cleared up literally within days. Years later I busted up my knee and front squats came to my rescue, but that is a different story.

This was before I joined the dangal. I joined one in my graduation years and enjoyed it. My only gripe was the lower body work. Reps upon reps and no progression. Some guys would hold a dumbbell in each hand and elevate their heels on a weight plate or something. But not enough.

There the rule was you couldn't enter the wrestling pit unless you could do 500 Hindu squats - in a row. I went up to 300, as I remember it now, and started having pain just below the calf. Went up to the coach, a grizzled wrestler, insanely strong old man, and told him about it and he said that the pain will be there and I should learn to live with it. That put me off and as life moved on, I didn't try to keep up. Overall, it was a good experience and I learned about myself a lot.

It is really strange that in India Gama is a household name but nobody uses his exercises. Nowadays everybody wants to use machines because they are safer. Anyways, good luck with this endeavor of yours sir.

Back
Top Bottom