all posts post new thread

The Little Engine That Could

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Interesting notes about HRV. I use Elite HRV too, for two and a half years now.

I've been using it for about half a year. It was really helpful when I was following more of a HIIT routine. I could usually even predict what my results would be and radical shifts usually noted something dramatic. Since I've been doing more of a GPP program though my results don't seem to correlate as closely. For instance, I'm currently sick and massively sleep deprived - but I'm on a record stretch to 9 or 10 HRV scores! (6 days - 10, 10, 9, 10, 9, 10) I've also gotten some bad scores before, but felt great so I decided to push it, and had a great practice.

I have been curious if my practicing diaphragmatic breathing while taking my HRV reading is skewing my results. Perhaps I need to try to focus on my breathe as little as possible to get more "accurate" results? I don't know yet - the great experiment continues!

I have been curious if my practicing diaphragmatic breathing while taking my HRV reading is skewing my results. Perhaps I need to try to focus on my breathe as little as possible to get more "accurate" results? I don't know yet - the great experiment continues!

I've wondered this, too. I try to breathe in a relaxed but natural manner, and consistent from day to day.

2018.02.19 [Monday]

Resting HR: 54
Heart Rate Variability: 59
Elite HRV Score: 10P (Green)

Sleep: 6 hours of sleep. Vivid dreams.

Feeling: I woke up with a terrible headache. My right elbow was also a little sore - no cause for too much concern though. I took some Tylenol for headache and got going.

Warm-up
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets
Bodyweight Squats

Practice
Two Handed Swings 24kg - 6x10
Turkish Get Ups 20kg - 6

Duration: 14:28
Average Heart Rate: 114
Max Heart Rate: 139

Thoughts: I wanted to start working swings back in and get back to the regular S&S practice. I did "heavy" (heaviest bell I currently own anyways) 2 hand swings today. I was thrilled to see them work my cardio as hard as they did. Last week was all grinds with TGUs - but you recover from them so quickly that I forgot about the GPP benefits of the WHOLE program. Even though I was short on time (trying to squeeze in that 6th full hour of sleep when I set my alarm last night...) and had to trim down my practice, which was probably for the best anyways, I was so happy to get both major movements in. Hopefully I'll soon get back to integrating a more challenging warm-up into my practice too. Looking toward evening, I need to use this desire for longer morning sessions as motivation to get to bed on time!

Hopefully that wasn't too rambly - if I can clear anything up for you let me know!

Not rambly at all, thank you for the explanation. I am going to start incorporating this too. Rest and recovery are probably my weak points so anything that can help hold me accountable to that is helpful.

2018.02.21 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 51
Heart Rate Variability: 62
Elite HRV Score: 7P (Green)

Sleep: In bed 7.5 hours. Woke up after 5 hours hot (air conditioner wasn't on - not that it's working optimally anyways) and couldn't get back to sleep for a loooooong time. Hilariously, when I did get back to sleep I had a dream about telling a group of friends about my crappy air conditioner (a lemon I bought new 1.5 years ago) predicament and how I woke up at 3am and couldn't get any sleep. A mutual friend was also explaining to me that he had become a vegan bodybuilder. [End dream narration] So on the bright side - I guess I got some more good REM sleep in! (y) Estimated total sleep time - a little over 6 hours.

Feeling: I felt amazing upon waking up. Which is a little bit of a bummer. I was definitely going to take the day off after having dragged myself to work sick for two days. But noooooooooo - I had to feel on top of the world. I also didn't wake up early enough to practice because I assumed I'd still be sick.

Warm-up
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets

Thoughts: Just OS Resets for me today. I might try to do some Grease the Groove tonight. I normally wouldn't include a minimal practice like this in my training log, but didn't want to fall of posting for a few days and one day look back and wonder what went on. I really want to get a good kettlebell session in tomorrow.

I got my Indian Clubs from FMS tonight! I messed around with them a lot, did the movement that Harald shared, and tried finding something helpful on onnit. Eventually I decided to go ahead and get the free program that FMS gave out with the clubs. I was very pleased with the content and quality! I've had a few let-down regarding instructional material and even some equipment lately in the price to value ratio department but I am VERY pleased with this package. Of course I jumped right into the two hand classic moves, but then I made myself go back and start at the beginning. I'm really looking forward to progressing and learning.

Last edited:
...Hilariously, when I did get back to sleep I had a dream about telling a group of friends about my crappy air conditioner (a lemon I bought new 1.5 years ago) predicament and how I woke up at 3am and couldn't get any sleep. A mutual friend was also explaining to me that he had become a vegan bodybuilder.

ROFLROFLROFL

2018.02.22 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 51
Heart Rate Variability: 61

Sleep: In bed 7 hours. Woke up after almost 5 hours. Slept an additional 2. Almost made it to 7 hours! (I put a portable air conditioner in my bedroom last night. That helped a lot. I'm still considering a ChiliPad though - especially because they're on sale right now!)

Feeling: I felt a little dizzy getting up and my hamstrings were really tight. Shoulder felt good though - could that have something to do with all my Indian-clubbing last night?

Warm-up
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets
Indian Club Movements

Thoughts: I didn't have enough time to do KB workout this morning. Jerry Seinfeld has this bit about Night Guy and Morning Guy and it rings so true for me. Every night I go to bed and try to set my alarm to complete full hours of sleep. I should know by now that I can't actually wake up late, hurry through my obligations, and still have time for a workout. But here I am. I need to just leave the alarm set for 5AM and stop trying to nudge it later and later to see if I can get away with it. Today marks the beginning of Morning Guy's reign! If I can I'll get some swings or something in tonight - but I already have plans, so we'll see what happens. I'm definitely getting after it tomorrow morning though!

2018.02.23 [Friday]

Resting HR: 49
Heart Rate Variability: 58
Elite HRV Score: 6S (Yellow)

Sleep: In bed 6.5 hours. About 6.25 hours of total sleep. I woke up tired and still wanting to sleep. Muscles were tight and weak feeling - especially hamstrings.

Feeling: Took me a while to really "wake up" - but I felt decent once I did. My right glute is tight again (I think where the hamstring connect in). I spent some time rolling it out before I did anything else. We'll see if using the alarm clock to bully myself into going to bed earlier will work or not.

Mobility Work
GMB Wrist Warmup
Original Strength Resets
Jefferson Curls (unloaded)

Warm-up Circuit (1x)
Halos 16kg 5x each direction
Prying goblet squat 16kg (including 3 bicep curls at bottom) 5x

Practice
Two Hand Kettlebell Swings 24kg - 10 x 10
(Indian Club work between sets of swings)
Turkish Get Ups 20kg - 6

Duration: 25:10
Average Heart Rate: 116
Max Heart Rate: 141

Cool Down
Hamstring Stretches

Thoughts: It's funny how much lighter the Indian Clubs feel after doing swings! Not that they ever felt "heavy", but they felt like nothing. After the clicking and popping of the first few reps, my shoulder felt really good and was able to go through the full ROM smoothly. I know it's my first day of working it in to my practice, but I think I'm already a convert! Even though I got up earlier, my practice still ran up against a time barrier because of long it took me to really get going this morning. I think I need a CT Fletcher alarm clock or something...

PM - Grease the Groove (x 2)
5 Chin-ups or Pull-ups*
14 Push-ups (Elbows tight against body)
30s Hollow Body Hold
*Alternate sets between close grip chin-ups and pull-ups with band assistance (Rogue Monster Band - Black - 100 lbs assistance )

Last edited:
2018.02.24 [Saturday]

Resting HR: 53

Sleep: Pretty good sleep. Just shy of 8 hours.

Feeling: I felt pretty good despite the low-ish HRV score.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets
Jefferson Curls - 20 lbs - 5

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Prying goblet squat (including 3 bicep curls at bottom on first 2 sets) 5x [16kg 16kg 20kg]

Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 20kg - 10 x 10*
Turkish Get Ups 10 (20kg 24kg 20kg 20kg 24kg)
*Indian Club Movements between sets of Swings

Duration: 34:15
Average Heart Rate: 115
Max Heart Rate: 148

Thoughts: Everything was feeling smooth and my first two Turkish Get Ups went up so easily that I decided to try with my 24 kg kettlebell. It was challenging, but not as bad as when I first transitioned to the 20kg! I'll see how I feel throughout the week, but I'd love to start transitioning to the next bell size!

PM - Grease the Groove (x 4)
5 Chin-ups or Pull-ups*
30s Hollow Body Hold
*Alternate sets between close grip chin-ups and pull-ups with band assistance (Rogue Monster Band - Black - 100 lbs assistance )

Last edited:
2018.02.26 [Monday]

Elite HRV Score: 9P (Green)

Sleep: In bed for just over 7 hours. Woke up twice in 3 hour intervals with a final fitful hour of sleep. Lots of REM sleep though.

Feeling: I felt pretty good waking up. I was also very motivated. Plus I had some spillover excitement from beginning my transition to the 24kg bell. My right wrist has very stiff/sore this morning. Over the weekend I got my new Captains of Crush Grip Strengthener - No. 1. I played with it for a bit and I'm really feeling it today!

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets
Jefferson Curls - 20 lbs - 3

Warm-up Circuit (1x)
Prying goblet squat (including 3 bicep curls at bottom) 5x

Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 10 x 10 (20kg 24kg 20kg 20kg 24kg)*
*Indian Club movements between sets of swings.

Duration: 31:50
Average Heart Rate: 122
Max Heart Rate: 151

Thoughts: My wrist felt much better once I had run through the GMB wrist warm-up series. Though it is stiffening up a bit again at work. I've added some 24kg 1HS to my practice in an effort to begin my transition to that next bell size. I need to order the next size up so that I can work in some two hand swings. I'm still really liking the Indian Clubs. I also noticed my average heart rate was much higher today and the combination of swinging the Indian Clubs a little quicker and working in heavier weights was beneficial in that regard - GPP at its finest! I'm so happy I got a (mostly) full practice in this morning. My goal is to include the full 3 sets of warm-up as well, but I'll take what I can get! :)

2018.02.27 [Tuesday]

Resting HR: 57
Heart Rate Variability: 60

Sleep: In bed for 7.5 hours. Woke up after 3 hours with stomach pain and nausea. We had meatloaf for dinner last night (w/ no veggies) and I got lots of extra "juice" (and there was a lot since we made it with half ground pork) and even slurped up some off my plate at the end. Not really a problem when I've got veggies to go with it, but all that fat by itself came back to haunt me for sure. Still ended up with around 7 hours of sleep.

Feeling: Still a little nauseous upon waking with some stomach discomfort. Not like I was going to be sick though, but very "off". My wrist was still sore too, but to a lesser degree than yesterday.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets
Jefferson Curls - 16kg - 3

Warm-up Circuit (2x)
Prying goblet squat (including 3 bicep curls at bottom of first set) 5x (16kg 20kg)

Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 10 x 10 (20kg 24kg 20kg 20kg 24kg)*

Duration: 33:13
Average Heart Rate: 117
Max Heart Rate: 148

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Straddle Stretch

Thoughts: I got an extra round of warm-up in, but basically the same scheme as yesterday. It definitely felt a little tougher today - I wasn't coming off of a rest day. I'm beginning to notice my right arm dominance as I'm transitioning to the 24kg bell for one hand swings. Bracing my core during the whole movement is helping me immensely pay more attention to my back/core positioning. Jefferson Curls are really helping loosen up my hamstrings, shoulders, and back before practice. And the Indian Clubs are great for shoulder mobility. I love that by the end of my practice I don't hear the "clicking" in my right shoulder when swinging the clubs that I hear at the beginning of practice.

Last edited:
2018.02.28 [Wednesday]

Resting HR: 50
Heart Rate Variability: 59
Elite HRV Score: 6S (Yellow)

Sleep: In bed for 7.5 hours. Solid sleep for 6 hours (though I don't remember any dreams). Got almost another hour after that.

Feeling: A little tired from not squeezing out that last REM cycle I was hoping for. Muscles took longer to wake up, but that's what the morning dog walk is for!

Grease the Groove (x 4 - done throughout other practice)
5 Chin-ups or Pull-ups*
30s Hollow Body Hold

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets
Prying goblet squat - 16kg - 5x
Jefferson Curls - 16kg - 3x
Indian Club Movements

Practice
Slow Turkish Get-Ups* - 16kg - 1 each side (I tracked HR, below, because I was curious)
*10 second pause at each transition

Duration: 4:45
Average Heart Rate: 109
Max Heart Rate: 134

Thoughts: Originally when I woke up I was thinking today might be a mobility day, but all the groove greasing ate up my time. I'm not upset about how it turned out though! Those extended TGUs were brutal by the end - I'm glad I decided to use my smallest kettlebell. I really felt it in my right tricep and left forearm by the end - curious that each arm felt "hit" in different places. Also, my last set of pull-ups cleared the bar, but weren't as powerful ("snappy") as I'd like. Finally, overall I've been feeling great the past few days - I'm getting lots of sleep (for me) and getting some good practice in each morning.

PM - Practice
Nerd Fitness Yoga Water Series B

Duration: 29:21
Average Heart Rate: 86
Max Heart Rate: 113

I really liked this variation (have only done Water Series A so far) - there was more attention paid to hamstrings, opening up the hips, and even some shoulder stretching.

Last edited:
2018.03.01 [Thursday]

Resting HR: 53
Heart Rate Variability: 64
Elite HRV Score: 4P (Yellow)

Sleep: I went to bed last night with the intention of sleep in past my usual wake up time so that I could get 7 hours of sleep (which would make me miss my kettlebell practice). My body didn't agree with my sleep prioritization though and woke me up at 5 as usual (after 6 hours of sleep). I decided the final 45 minutes or so wasn't worth it and I ended up getting all my practice in this morning.

Feeling: My right glute is hurting again - but not as intense as before. I'm doing lots of gentle stretching and rolling.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Original Strength Resets

Warm-up Circuit (2x)
Prying goblet squat (including 3 bicep curls at bottom of first set) 5x (16kg 20kg)

Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 24kg - 10 x 10 (2T+2L+2T+2R+2T)*

Duration: 28:23
Average Heart Rate: 120
Max Heart Rate: 146

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Straddle Stretch

Thoughts: I decided to try Brett Jones' technique of alternating between two hand swings and one hand swings per set as described by Steve Freides here. My first time transitioning was super awkward and probably a little dangerous (for my spine and/or floor!). Once I got the hang of it though I really liked the concept. I liked that I really had to focus on transitions and making sure I was ready to counteract rotational forces at the drop of a hat! It's also a really great way to get comfortable with the "weightlessness" at the top of the arc. And finally, I felt that I recovered more quickly between rounds and each set didn't spike my heart rate as high, so I was able to maintain a higher average heart rate. I'm really happy I woke up early and got this "surprise" practice in. :)

Last edited:
2018.03.03 [Saturday]

Resting HR: 50
Heart Rate Variability: 63

Sleep: 6.75 hours

Mobility
OS Resets

Warm-up Circuit (3x)
Prying goblet squat (including 3 bicep curls at bottom on first 2 sets) 5x [16kg 16kg 24kg]
Hip Bridge (squeezing yoga block between knees) 3 seconds - 5x

Practice
Kettlebell Swings - 24 kg - 10 x 10 (2T+3L+2T+3R)
Turkish Get Ups 10 (20kg 24kg 24kg 20kg 24kg)
Duration: 40:53
Max Heart Rate: 152

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Straddle Stretch

2018.03.04 [Sunday]

Resting HR: 55
Heart Rate Variability: 58
Elite HRV Score: 5S (Yellow)

Sleep: 7.75 hours

Warm-up
OS Resets
Flexible Steel Standing Series

Cardio
4.5 mile run @ MAF heart rate (w/ Zombies, Run!)
Duration: 58.24
Average Pace: 12:58
Average Heart Rate: 137
Max Heart Rate: 154 (oops)

Cool-down
Nerd Fitness Yoga Water Series B
Duration: 30:57
Average Heart Rate: 106
Max Heart Rate: 130

2018.03.05 [Monday]

Resting HR: 56
Heart Rate Variability: 56
Elite HRV Score: 4S (Yellow)

Sleep: 7 hours

Mobility

Warm-up Circuit (2x)
Prying goblet squat (including 3 bicep curls at bottom on first 2 sets) 5x [16kg 24kg]
Hip Bridge (squeezing yoga block between knees) 3 seconds - 5x

Practice
One Hand Kettlebell Swings - 24 kg - 4 x 10
Turkish Get Ups - 24kg - 4
Duration: 13:40
Average Heart Rate: 110
Max Heart Rate: 137

Thoughts: Today's practice, particularly the TGUs portion, was extremely difficult. The TGUs even felt a little dangerous at this weight. I've been getting a lot of yellow (but not red) HRV scores lately - perhaps I need to dial it back a few days.

INJURY UPDATE - 2018.03.09 [Friday]

My right shoulder (between shoulder and neck - possibly trap) has been in pain since Monday's practice. It started feeling a little better halfway through the week, and I started trying to do some light work including OS Resets, bar dead hang, jefferson curls, and a few sets of 2 hand swings. A lot of my pain has come back.

I hope to run this weekend, but I will most likely rest from all other activities for at least several days and up to a week. I'm planning on attending a StrongFirst Kettlebell Course on April 15 and being healthy for that is my top priority.

I'm a little frustrated with my 2 steps forward 1 step back progress. But honestly I feel like this was probably my fault trying to progress more quickly than I need to.

I laid low this week. I did either GMB elements, my physical therapy work, or both each day. Today (Sunday, March 18, 2018) I also ran 6 miles. I also tested 1 set of swings each arm with the 20kg and 1 TGU each arm with the same weight to see if I was ready to reduce weight and get back to S&S tomorrow. I've also done some bar hangs and pull-ups to push it a little and see how healthy my shoulder was. Hanging with straight arms causes some soreness and muscle spasms later, but not very severe (compared to what I "recovered" from). I think I'm okay to train, but I'm wondering if theres an impingement issue I need to address?

2018.03.19 [Monday]

Resting HR: 47

Sleep: I got about 7 hours of sleep with one wake up and some restlessness after.

Feeling: My left hip was a little sore upon waking. On the outside - like I've experienced more commonly on my right side. My right ankle was also feeling a little stiff/weak, but that went away very quickly. Both probably from running yesterday.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Shoulder Physical Therapy Routine

Warm-up Circuit (2x)

Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 20kg - 10 x 10
Turkish Get Ups -20kg - 10

Duration: 24:30
Average Heart Rate: 113
Max Heart Rate: 143

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: I was really happy that the 20kg felt really comfortable. For the TGUs, I was able to pull myself up onto my elbow without letting my shoulder sink (which I think I did with the 24kg that led to my shoulder pain). My swings felt awkward. It was difficult to keep my back from rounding - it used most of my attention and I still rounded sometimes. I didn't use Indian Clubs between sets because the movement I've been doing causes a very loud popping sound in my shoulder (not painful). I'm considering adding the Indian clubs back in but with a different movement. I was really glad to get this practice in today after not being at full capacity a few weeks.

2018.03.21 [Wednesday]

Heart Rate Variability: 56
Elite HRV Score: 3S (Red)

Sleep: I got around 6 hours of sleep last night. I went to bed, but had to read a looooong time before I was tired. I slept pretty soundly once I did nod off though.

Feeling: I felt pretty good all around after yesterday's unexpected rest day. I chose to ignore the warning of being in the red zone of HRV. I definitely think this thing is screwy sometimes. Yesterday I got a 10, but was extremely exhausted until the afternoon (hence my "rest" day). So although my HRV score was abysmal, I felt good about my decision to go ahead with practice.

Mobility
GMB Wrist Warm-up
Shoulder Physical Therapy Routine

Warm-up Circuit (1x)
Prying goblet squat (including 3 bicep curls at bottom of first set) 16kg 5x

Practice
Single Hand Kettlebell Swings - 20kg - 10 x 10
Turkish Get Ups - 20kg - 6

Duration: 21:07
Max Heart Rate: 142

Cool Down
Hurdler Stretch
Butterfly Stretch
Frogger Stretch
Straddle Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Thoughts: TGUs felt tougher than they did on Monday. I was expecting them to continue feeling easy at this weight (note: I only did 6 because I had an important work meeting and was running behind, but maybe it was for the best anyways!). Could be because I did some brief (but intense) upper body work last night (to make up for doing nothing in the morning). Felt some mild shoulder soreness on my way in to work this morning. I might back off the evening GTG work - keeping in mind my primary goal of being healthy for the SF Kettlebell Course next month!

PM - Practice
5 Pull-ups (with Rogue Monster Band - black)
15 Push-ups (elbows tight against body)
5 Chin-ups (with Rogue Monster Band - black)
40s Hollow Body Hold
5 Prying Goblet Squats - 28kg

I like this routine for my evenings. Quick and simple and hits everything I want to hit (for now).

2018.03.22 [Thursday]

Keeping it slow this week. GMB wrist warmup and shoulder PT in the morning and the evening practice listed above done at night.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom