all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
March 19

30 minute walk over lunch

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Deload day today. I have been stiff all day, and stretching was helping, but I thought that the extra set with the 24 kg may have been too soon. So, I dropped down to the 16 kg kettlebell & focused on form for each rep in each set.

I discovered that I was not as solid as I thought. There was some waver with the lighter kettlebell that I had not noticed. I was also not setting up right for my swings, I was a little too far away.

Today was informational for me. I learned that I need to slow my progress down & once again focus on form. So, back to the 20 kg kettlebell, and renewed focus on form is required.

"All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.
Calvin Coolidge"

March 20

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

I stuck with the 16 kg kettlebell tonight, to focus on getting better form-wise. I read on here where the swing should target the hamstrings more than the quads, well I found my hinge tonight that hammered my hamstrings, and only hit my quads somewhat. Wow what a revelation. The second night I work lighter, I learn more about how sloppy I had apparently become in my swing. I will stick with the 16 kg kettlebell through the rest of the week, and then start working back up to the 20 kg kettlebell.

My get ups were solid again tonight. I tightened up my form tonight, packed shoulders, solid plant of my feet, steady at each stage. I still need to focus on holding the bell a little better, as well as focusing on the kettlebell from press to setting it down.

Slow and steady, with good form, from 16 kg to 32 kg.......one step at a time.

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
John Quincy Adams

March 21

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Good session again tonight. I found the float in my swings this evening. That felt good to find that once again. TGUs were better tonight as well, my form is getting better every rep. I still have some leakage from lunge to stand that I need to shore up, but some focus, and creating tension in my off hand worked in my last set, so that will be investigated tomorrow night.

@Michael Scott I used to have a difficult time time with lunge to stand too. Now, I use my off hand and pretend like I'm gripping really hard on a pole and then pulling myself up to a standing position. It has helped me tremendously. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, it's hard to explain.

No, I actually get what you are saying. That is very close to how I did my last set. I just made a fist like I had grabbed the top of a fence, to pull me up. The added tension seemed to really make a difference. Thank you for sharing!

@Michael Scott I used to have a difficult time time with lunge to stand too. Now, I use my off hand and pretend like I'm gripping really hard on a pole and then pulling myself up to a standing position. It has helped me tremendously. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, it's hard to explain.

March 22

35 minute walk over lunch

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Best workout of the week. I was very pleased with this session. Swings hit my hamstrings, hard. Stretched after the session, and again before bed. I may have to stick with the 16 kg for another week and rebuild my foundation of swings.

I finally discovered the leak in my get ups tonight. I discovered that when I swept my leg back under my lunge, I was going too far back, creating a base too wide to stand up firmly. Hence, my leakage when going from lunge to standing. I narrowed my sweep, created good tension with my off hand, and all of a sudden I was getting up with a solid form.

I finally discovered the leak in my get ups tonight. I discovered that when I swept my leg back under my lunge, I was going too far back, creating a base too wide to stand up firmly. Hence, my leakage when going from lunge to standing. I narrowed my sweep, created good tension with my off hand, and all of a sudden I was getting up with a solid form.

YES! Great to see you had a good session. Isn't that a great feeling!?!

That is what I like so much about working on the getup...I find every little part of it so fascinating to tune into!

Thank you! Yes it is a wonderful feeling to have solved that issue.

For most of last year, I didn't really like the get up. Once I did the get better at everything through the get up, I had a lot more respect for the movement, and began to enjoy it. What I like about it the most is the adaptability of the movement. You can move from step to step at your pace, you can pause multiple places, or you can press the kettlebell at each stage, you can even stop at stages. What a unique movement to practice.

YES! Great to see you had a good session. Isn't that a great feeling!?!

That is what I like so much about working on the getup...I find every little part of it so fascinating to tune into!

March 23 & 24

Two straight days off, you need to recharge every now and then

March 25

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Solid session today. One more week with the 16 kg, at least. As much as I want to get up to the 32 kg, the 16 kg is really tightening up my form. So, at least one more week to solidify movements, then the slow and steady progress up to the 32 kg kettlebell.

Solid session today. One more week with the 16 kg, at least. As much as I want to get up to the 32 kg, the 16 kg is really tightening up my form. So, at least one more week to solidify movements, then the slow and steady progress up to the 32 kg kettlebell.

That's right. Very good plan sir! I am sure you have grooved many lessons in with putting in this lighter work, which will pay you dividends!

March 26

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Strong session tonight. Swings were sharp & crisp, shoulders were packed, and hamstrings felt every swing. Get ups had great body tension from press to setting the kettlebell back down. I had good breath control between sets, and the whole session took about 35 minutes from warm up through final get up. This is going to be an enjoyable week if this is what I have in front of me..

March 27

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 5 x 2 x 16 kg

Good session again tonight. Crisp, strong and sharp throughout. I worked again tonight on focusing my breath control, 10 breaths between swing sets with slow & steady recovery breathing between get ups. So far, so good this week. If the next two days go this way, I will definitely add a set with the 20 kg in Saturday's session.

I despise you right now. How dare you bring logic into this discussion? ;):p:eek::D

The only argument I could have against your recommendation is that you are suggesting an increase of 50% of my current load versus my 25% planned increase in load when moving to the next kettlebell.

Even worse, I should be back to working with the 24 kg, as I was almost working exclusively with it 10 days ago. Yeah, it looks like it is time to get back to working with the 24 kg kettlebell........:eek::D

Cuz reasons

Youtube is blocked at my work, but find the strongfirst youtube channel and look at Pavels leap of faith video.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom