all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
May 15 - Scheduled Day Off, AM mobility work
May 16 - Rest day, I just decided that an extra day was what I needed, so no work other than my morning get moving work

May 17

AM:
Neck mobility: Yes, No, Tilts & Circles
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs
Lower Body Mobility: Side Bends, Pelvic Tilts, Belly Dance, Hula Hoop Hip Circles, Ankle Circles, Bowing and Squats

PM:
Commando Rock
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press: 4 x 6/6 x 20 kg

That wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Maybe it was the extra day off. This is the end of the third week of this program, so a day of easy work tomorrow, maybe 5 1H swings EMOM with the 20 kg for 100 total swings. Then, either I test my rep max with the 20 kg, or I try to press half my bodyweight/half in each hand....

May 18

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs
Lower Body Mobility: Side Bends, Pelvic Tilts, Belly Dance, Hula Hoop Hip Circles, Ankle Circles, Bowing and Squats

PM:
Commando Rock
90/90 Stretch
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

1HS 10 x 10 x 20kg
Bent Over Row 6 x 5/5 x 20kg

Good, easy session tonight. I focused on recovery tonight, and that made a huge difference, as I felt energized at the end of my session. Tomorrow's challenge will be decided when I go downstairs, and get warmed up. Part of me is anxious to press 2 32 kg kettlebells, and another part says check your rep max with 20 kg kettlebells.....either one will be quite the session.

Stay safe and healthy!

May 19

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
90/90 stretch
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

Clean and Press Challenge: 1 x 6/6 x 32 kg

Challenge day today, and hello new p.r. in pressing. My sixth rep was shaky, and I may have had one or two more in me, but my form was failing, so I stopped. Still, I just pressed two 32 kg kettlebells 6 times, wow. So, I now know I can do at least 6, and probably more.

So, easy days for the rest of the week, and I'll restart this program with two 24 kg kettlebells.

Last edited:
May 21 - Rest Day

May 22
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
90/90 Stretch
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 20, 20, 20
Goblet Squats 20, 20, 20

1HS 10 x 10 x 20kg

Went easy tonight, as I planned for this week. These felt good. My focus tonight, and for the rest of my sessions this week, is recovery between sets. For some reason, the evening mobility work felt amazing, like I really need that work. I haven't felt like that, ever, when stretching. I guess that may be a WTH moment then? If this happens again tomorrow night, I may start doing that work in the mornings, and the morning work throughout the day instead.

Stay safe and healthy.

May 23 - Took a rest day, unscheduled but necessary. I grabbed the 20s, and there was no work in me today.

May 24
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

Halos 24,24,24
Goblet Squats 24,24,24

Clean and Press: 10 x 2/2 x 24 kg

Brutal Strength round three. This felt great, although the last two sets required a little more rest between them. No mobility work on the mat, as I was moving around most of the morning.

What info tomorrow will depend on how I feel, I will either go for a walk, or swings and bent over rows.....

Stay safe and healthy!

May 25
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

No kettlebell work or PM mobility work today. Yard work and walking was the theme for the day.

May 26
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
90/90 Stretch
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 24,24,24
Goblet Squats 24,24,24

Clean and Press: 8 x 3/3 x 24 kg

This session was a contradiction. I grabbed the 24's, and I wasn't real certain tonight was going to happen. Halos & Goblet Squats done, and I still wasn't feeling it. Set three and hello breakthrough! I found the energy and motivation I needed to finish this session, and I felt amazing afterwards.

May 27

AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

Walk: 30 minutes, 1.5 miles, 3007 steps, HR 105 avg, 138 max, which occurred going up a hill right at the start.

Due to the inspiration provided by @The Nail and @masa I went for a walk over lunch today. I agree with @The Nail, 30 minutes of just moving really just sets everything in order. I gotta incorporate this into my daily work.

Walk: 30 minutes, 1.5 miles, 3007 steps, HR 105 avg, 138 max, which occurred going up a hill right at the start.

Due to the inspiration provided by @The Nail and @masa I went for a walk over lunch today. I agree with @The Nail, 30 minutes of just moving really just sets everything in order. I gotta incorporate this into my daily work.
I can get away with not taking a walk, if I run in a day, but otherwise I feel worse almost immediately. Two days of limited locomotion, even if I do swings and get-ups and I I feel like I am due for an oil-change plus crankier. Keep moving.

I must say that walking was a game changer for me. I sleep better, recover better and lost some weight. It also helps to the backaches. There’s no veins in the intervertebral discs, so the oxidization happens due movement.

May 28
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
90/90 Stretch
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 24,24,24
Goblet Squats 24,24,24

Clean and Press: 6 x 4/4 x 24 kg

No walk today, every time I went to go out, it was either raining, or about to rain......very frustrating. I was telling a friend what program I was doing and he said that it sounded difficult. I had to stop and think for a minute. Is it really? Are kettlebell movements really intricate or difficult to comprehend? No, they really aren't. In the age of everything on YouTube, it shouldn't be difficult. So, I said to him that it isn't hard to do, with practice and watching a video or two, it is an easy concept to grasp. His response was classic. No, not the movement, the weight! Duh, I am lifting more than half of his body weight with these two kettlebells.....I guess sometimes you don't realize the volume or the total weight you are moving when you say 2 24 kg kettlebells, instead of 53 pounds in each hand......

May 29
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

Walk over lunch: 30 minutes, 1.6 miles, 3118 steps, HR 152 avg, 166 max, yeah I walked harder today.

167 is the maximum my heart rate is supposed to be at, and 152 is above the range I am supposed to work in, according to the max HR calculation, but this walk really felt amazingly good.

Stay safe and healthy!

Walk over lunch: 30 minutes, 1.6 miles, 3118 steps, HR 152 avg, 166 max, yeah I walked harder today.
If a walk is getting you within a beat of your Max HR, you need to get to an emergency room!
HR calculators are notoriously inaccurate.
The only way to know HRmax is to measure it
Much more likely.

In any event, if you are walking so hard that you can't comfortably pass the talk test you should probably ease up a bit. And if you can pass the talk test, you are very far from your max HR.

I wasn't straining, and could definitely talk while I was up there. I guess it is a carryover from my kettlebell work, because I didn't feel like I was over-exerting myself. I was moving pretty good, but I wasn't anywhere near exhaustion, nor did I fell the need to slow down....

To be honest, I was surprised to see the numbers that high.

If a walk is getting you within a beat of your Max HR, you need to get to an emergency room!

Much more likely.

In any event, if you are walking so hard that you can't comfortably pass the talk test you should probably ease up a bit. And if you can pass the talk test, you are very far from your max HR.

220-age is the commonly used and 'age-old' formula. For me that is 157. I routinely hit 166-170 in hard efforts. Very hard efforts get me a bit higher.
There are some self-administered HRmax tests out there, (but I'm not gonna tell you what they are ;))

There is a reason someone is standing by with the paddles when you do a stress test...!

For 99.9% of us on this forum (who are not competing in world championships and Olympics) being 'close enough' is going to be close enough.

Also if it's hot out your HR is going to be higher as well...

May 31
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

PM:
Commando Rock
90/90 Stretch
Hamstring Stretching
T-Spine Mobility

Halos 24,24,24
Goblet Squats 24,24,24

Clean and Press: 8 x 3/3 x 24 kg

Good session today. I found that, by popping my hips stronger, the kettlebells flew into the rack position. Just a little more snap, and hello!

Stay strong and healthy!

June 1
AM:
Wrist Circles
Shoulder Shrugs

Unscheduled day off, as I had to run an errand over lunch, and other errands after work. I did a lot of moving around, but no focused walking. Back at it tomorrow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom