all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
January 2

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
T-Spine Mobility 2 sets
SLDL 2 sets
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Mobility work only tonight, cooking & preparing to travel again this weekend. The work felt good, I went nice and easy with them all.

January 3/4/5/6/7

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
T-Spine Mobility 2 sets
SLDL 2 sets
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Between preparation for travel & travel, I have only had time for mobility training over the last 5 days. Between driving (8+ hours on 1/4 & 1/7), cooking and entertaining, that was quite the challenge. I was quite pleased that the light work kept me relatively loose and relaxed. I will be preparing for the body weight sessions and reading through SJ to create my routine tonight. Then, it will be a few days off.

January 9

Septoplasty & Turbinate reduction. I had my deviated septum repaired today, along with the turbinates in my sinus cavity shrunk. So, no work will be done this week or weekend.

January 12

The recovery is going slow, so I have just been doing some real light stretching of my hips and hamstrings. Hopefully I will be cleared to start some basic work next week.

Tomorrow sees me stop being lazy & start back down the road. There will be a change to the plan though. I am going to alternate workouts for the next eight weeks. S&S will of course be session A, but session B will include bodyweight exercises, and grip work will be done throughout the day as a GTG exercise. I just got the grippers last night, and I have a long way to go to get to the 350 lb gripper. The 100 lb will be my warm up, based upon what I learned last night, with the 150 lb my working weight for a few weeks.

71Vz8v5fRaL._SX522_.jpg

January 21

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg
SLDL 3 sets each leg, 5 reps

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 10 x 2 x 16 kg

Ahh, that felt good. The warm up mobility work felt amazing, it felt good to perform them again. The warm up exercises felt good as well. I added the single leg dead-lift to my warm ups because I like them, and now is a good time to add them, starting a new session. I did curls at the bottom of my squats, I was doing them occasionally, but they will be done in every workout now. I dropped down to the 16 kg kettlebell for a few reasons, mainly because I knew I needed to start slow and build back up.

My swings were off at first, mainly because I was using the 24 kg before surgery, so I was a little out of balance. I found my rhythm in my second set in my strong arm, and things were smooth once that happened. My get ups felt strong and balanced, with no wavering in any repetition. I did 5 second holds on each stage in my last set, just because I was feeling strong. It was a good way to end my first session.

Last edited:
January 22

Hollow Holds - 3 sets, 20 second hold each set
Star Holds - 3 sets, 20 second hold each set
Plank - 3 sets, 20 second hold each set
Reverse Plank - 3 sets, 20 second hold each set
Leg Raises - 3 sets, 20 second hold each set
Pushups - 3 sets, 5/8/8
Goblet Squats - 3 sets, 10/10/10

First body weight session tonight. 20 minutes and my butt was kicked. What a great workout in a short period of time.

January 23

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 10 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 10 x 2 x 16 kg

Good workout tonight, everything felt good from start to finish. I took longer stretching tonight, so I am moving the single leg deadlifts to tomorrow’s session. I think they will fit in better tomorrow night.

January 24

Grip work throughout the day, 3 sets of 5 reps, the 150 lb gripper,

Pushups - 3 sets, 8/8/8
SLDL 3 sets 5L/5R

Great session tonight, another 20 minute butt kicking from bodyweight exercises. I am very happy that I added these to my routine. I can feel the different muscle groups being impacted in a positive manner. Surprisingly, I also seem to be recovering faster. My plan is to continue the 20 second holds for another week, and to increase the kettlebell up to the 20 kg, adding a set or two each session over the coming weeks, until I get back to being comfortable with the 24 kg and body weight exercises.

January 25

Commando Rocks
T-Spine Mobility 2 sets
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Unscheduled day off tonight, but a needed rest session. I did some light mobility work, and wasn't feeling it, so instead of pushing it, I simply rested. With this being my first week, I didn't want to push too hard. I have all year, if needed, to get to the 32 kg.

Last edited:
January 27

Pushups - 3 sets, 8/8/8
SLDL 3 sets 5L/5R

Good session again today. These exercises are more challenging that I originally thought they would be. As much as they kick my butt, I know they will benefit me in the long run.

January 28

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 2 x 10 x 20 kg, 8 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 1 x 2 x 20 kg, 4 x 2 x 16 kg

I added the 20 kg to swings & get ups, and they really felt good. The whole session was solid from start to finish. It felt great to have a session like this.

January 29

Unscheduled day off, family matters needed to be attended to more than a workout. So, I will miss a body weight session this week. I may try to make it up.

January 30

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 3 x 10 x 16 kg

1HS 4 x 10 x 20 kg, 6 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 2 x 2 x 20 kg, 3 x 2 x 16 kg

Strong session tonight. I added more work with the 20 kg kettlebell tonight, and it felt good all around. The added focus in my first two sets of get ups made the last three sets stronger and sharper. The added sets also made my swings sharper and stronger.

January 31

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Well, I started to warm up, and I had zero energy. I wasn't even really putting any effort into the stretches. So, after I stretched, I finished.

Not good that I have missed two body weight sessions this week, but I will have to get over it. Life happens, I guess.

I have to admit, that I enjoyed S&S more than the body weight exercises. Not by much, but after a year of S&S, and 8 weeks of TGU's, I may just start implementing an exercise or two in after S&S, and get back after the Simple standard.

February 1

Commando Rocks
Shoulder Dislocates
90/90 stretches
Hamstring stretches

Halos 2 x 10 x 16 kg, 1 x 10 x 20 kg
Goblet Squats 2 x 5 x 16 kg, 1 x 5 x 20 kg

1HS 6 x 10 x 20 kg, 4 x 10 x 16 kg
TGU 3 x 2 x 20 kg, 2 x 2 x 16 kg

Yes, I added more work with the 20 kg kettlebell tonight. Amazingly, this session felt as good if not better than Tuesday's session. So, I will listen to my body, and get back to working towards the Simple standard. I will, a couple times a week, still perform these body weight exercises, but I will focus primarily on kettlebells.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom