TSC Training Program

Discussion in 'TSC' started by Justin Singh, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Justin Singh

Justin Singh Second Post

Hi everyone,
    Long time lurker and first time TSC entrant this Spring. My main concern is programming and was hoping for some guidance.

My current thoughts are:
    Deadlift 1 or 2x per week
    Pull Ups/Dips 4x per week (Fighter Pull Up program style w/ progressive overload)
    Snatch 1x per week w/ Swings 2x per week

I want to train 4x per week so I give myself adequate recovery - I'm a coach/trainer as a profession and can get run down doing too much in the gym (5/6 days a week) combined with work so I need to be careful. Does anyone else have concerns doing high rep Pull Ups and Snatches/Swings with fatigue as a concern (in the same session)? I feel like I could do the Pull Ups in the morning and Swings/Snatches in the evening to break it up but wondered what people with experience thinks of this or if you think I need to suck it up!

In terms of current PR's:
    Deadlift ~400lbs
    Pull Ups: 15
    Snatches: Untested for a 5 min time, but do regular swings/snatches in training and hoping to get 100 in my first challenge.

Thanks for any/all help!!
    Justin

2. miked

miked Double-Digit Post Count

I have a student at my gym who thinks she's going to be able to finish pretty high this year and wanted a more focused program. I heard good things about Toshner's plans.

I have her basically doing this one but changing a little of the assistance work to just be what we're normally doing in class that day:

Paving Your Personal Road to TSC Victory | StrongFirst

He also has this one which is pretty good

12-Week TNT TSC Training Program | StrongFirst

And here's a bunch of different options for your skill level.

TSC Training Plans for Athletes of All Levels | StrongFirst

Typically though, I'm pretty much in your shoes and I just do an Easy Strength type plan all the time so I'm usually just strong enough to pull a big enough number with no issues, and most of my day-to-day work is very heavy snatches, so hucking the 24 around for 5:00 is no big deal. Pulling deadlifts and heavy snatches all the time gives my grip and lats a good enough workout that I never train pull-ups specifically.

Steve Freides likes this.
  3. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Dir. of Community Engagement Senior Instructor

+1 to this approach.

-S-

4. Justin Singh

Justin Singh Second Post

Thanks Steve and Mike,
    I like your suggestions will look into them, will let you know how it goes :)
    Justin