all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Weight progression after time out

Tom Lavery

Level 4 Valued Member
I’ve been doing simple and sinister off and on for 5 years - consistency in periods then allowed myself to be weak.

Have hit 32kg for all swings and started into 40kg.
TGU hit 24kg moving into 32kg. Over a year ago.

Reset to 24kg now 24/32/32/32/24kg for swings and 16kg, now 16/24/24/24/16 TGU.

Finally feeling strong again in these weights - would experienced Strong First practitioners recommend keeping to the standard progression or push it a bit quicker til I reach previous weights?

Thanks in advance, its good to be back.

I had to take a break from S&S (and all physical exertion) for over 4 months due to a health issue, and after a couple weeks of easing back into it i basically was able to pick up where I had left off. With years of experience, you could probably try to advance the progression a little to see how your body responds. If it’s too much you can always back off again or take a rest day.

I had to take a break from S&S (and all physical exertion) for over 4 months due to a health issue, and after a couple weeks of easing back into it i basically was able to pick up where I had left off. With years of experience, you could probably try to advance the progression a little to see how your body responds. If it’s too much you can always back off again or take a rest day.
I have a similar story with 2 breaks of 2or3 months each between October'22 and March'23...noting that my KB/strength journey only started last January. I used March/April to gently ease back into my routine, with the focus on consistency rather than quality/quantity. then I picked up pace and quickly got back to good form, and progressed well with S&S (up from 16kg to 24kg timeless 100 swings), and now (1 July) switched to A+A C+J+ and improvingat a decent rate...My sets bounced between reps of C+J+J with 16kg and C or C+C with 24kg...about 60% of the sets with the 16kg. today, I will do the 16kg bits as written = C+J+C...about to venture into the cold now;)

it seems that you are already on the path to rebuilding yourself and you're feeling strong enough to think of ramping up your efforts. I would ramp-up taking note of a) your rest/recovery in between the sets (Maf, talk-test, HR monitor), and b) how you feel the next day or 2. Your body will guide you if you listen. (queue jiminy cricket: "let you concious be your guide")

I would include some aerobics (cycling, running, swimming, etc). and see the thread about the 1mile loaded carry that is currently being discussed in the forum. I'm a huge fan and practioner of a weekly 30min loaded walk.

I'd listen to @watchnerd if I were you.

If you do not have 2 kettlebells of the same weight, achieving full ladder in C&P with 24 kg bell (as in ETK) is ambitious, but realistic goal for next few months. ETK also prescribes TGUs during variety days if you can't live without it.

Thanks for your reply - Good to know it’s feasible to get back in again. Congratulations on your recovery as well.

Thanks for sharing your journey as well - it’s good to see it’s possible. Definitely working on recovery and listening to my body - especially working in breathing more than before.

Will definitely look at the loaded walk and the extra programmes you mentioned.
I have a similar story with 2 breaks of 2or3 months each between October'22 and March'23...noting that my KB/strength journey only started last January. I used March/April to gently ease back into my routine, with the focus on consistency rather than quality/quantity. then I picked up pace and quickly got back to good form, and progressed well with S&S (up from 16kg to 24kg timeless 100 swings), and now (1 July) switched to A+A C+J+ and improvingat a decent rate...My sets bounced between reps of C+J+J with 16kg and C or C+C with 24kg...about 60% of the sets with the 16kg. today, I will do the 16kg bits as written = C+J+C...about to venture into the cold now;)

it seems that you are already on the path to rebuilding yourself and you're feeling strong enough to think of ramping up your efforts. I would ramp-up taking note of a) your rest/recovery in between the sets (Maf, talk-test, HR monitor), and b) how you feel the next day or 2. Your body will guide you if you listen. (queue jiminy cricket: "let you concious be your guide")

I would include some aerobics (cycling, running, swimming, etc). and see the thread about the 1mile loaded carry that is currently being discussed in the forum. I'm a huge fan and practioner of a weekly 30min loaded walk.

Thanks, will look into it as all new to me.

If you do not have 2 kettlebells of the same weight, achieving full ladder in C&P with 24 kg bell (as in ETK) is ambitious, but realistic goal for next few months. ETK also prescribes TGUs during variety days if you can't live without it.

Getting to Dry Fighting Weight with 2 x 24 is a pretty solid challenge for most normal-sized / not-too-old men, without being so rugged it will bury you.

But if first time with double KBs, probably want to start with 2x16 or 2x20.

(DFW 2x32+, though, can be rugged)

Back
Top Bottom