all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Peter Attia Changed His Mind on Fasting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Cocaine & whiskey if they really wanted to get serious.
I didn’t eat for days & definitely seen some spirits. Pretty sure it shortened my life rather than extended it though.
Fasting was for spiritual reasons, and I'm sure the booze on an otherwise empty stomach helped.

I don’t know if it’s a reflection of my character, or the poor quality of Australian mainstream lagers but I buy coors when I want a mass produced swill.
In cans
I only drink the swill of the common man, beer made in factories and delivered in tankers, to be gulped standing at the bar by real men who read Rugby League Week. All of Australia’s beers of renown are mass-produced slops designed for one purpose only, to get you blotto before your missus takes you home and gives you your dinner. Those poseurs sipping hoppy pilsners or raspberry-infused IPAs in so-called microbreweries, just having one, or two, because they like to wake up at 6am for yoga feeling energetic, just remind me of how far humankind has fallen.

Last edited:
All of Australia’s beers of renown are mass-produced slops designed for one purpose only, to get you blotto before your missus takes you home and gives you your dinner.
Sorry to change the subject yet again, but a couple of years back I watched a video - on Amazon Prime, I think - presented by Richard Hammond where he discussed how the English and the French drink. The conclusion was interesting - apparently both consume about the same amount of alcohol but the French take it in slowly with their meal while the English, much as @LukeV describes above, get well drunk before they touch their food and, as a result, seem a lot more drunk than the French do.

-S-

I only drink the swill of the common man, beer made in factories and delivered in tankers, to be gulped standing at the bar by real men who read Rugby League Week. All of Australia’s beers of renown are mass-produced slops designed for one purpose only, to get you blotto before your missus takes you home and gives you your dinner. Those poseurs sipping hoppy pilsners or raspberry-infused IPAs in so-called microbreweries, just having one, or two, because they like to wake up at 6am for yoga feeling energetic, just remind me of how far humankind has fallen.
Whilst you, my man, have not even stumbled (except when you’ve “overswilled”). Keep up the good fight!!

What I don't fully understand is why it is so polarising
Because all these dietary approaches require a measure of trust, of belief, dare I say of faith. The longevity stuff is on the far end of this, since you have no way of actually knowing whether it works for you or not. If I'm 50, how do I know if taking up fasting will extend my lifespan? I have to take it on faith, no different than a religion. So, just as with religion, the obvious approach is to choose something, band with other people who have chosen the same thing, and mutually reinforce that belief for each other.

Another angle to look at this is the issue of sunk cost. The longer and deeper one commits to something, the harder it is to abandon it. If you have already spent thousands of dollars on some supplement, you will not be very open to evidence that it doesn't actually work or is actually harmful.

But a key to understanding this, I think, is the issue of emergent tribes. What exactly are you willing to believe is deeply revealing and correlated with many non-obvious personality and lifestyle traits. For example, I have never paid much attention to Attia simply because he appears untrustworthy to me; he gives me a "TRT clinic operator/cryptocurrency scammer" vibe. Conversely, I don't think people who do trust him are a random sample of Americans; rather I'd assume they are people with many commonalities who can easily bond into a quasi-tribe. Same goes with any claims and ideas that are evaluated based on faith and trust (which is the vast majority): each attracts a specific type of people. The Ideology is not the Movement explores this in more depth.

Another angle to look at this is the issue of sunk cost. The longer and deeper one commits to something, the harder it is to abandon it. If you have already spent thousands of dollars on some supplement, you will not be very open to evidence that it doesn't actually work or is actually harmful.
"Too Invested To Quit Syndrome" - I know this syndrome well from other areas of my life (not diet tho)

Richard Hammond where he discussed how the English and the French drink. The conclusion was interesting - apparently both consume about the same amount of alcohol but the French take it in slowly with their meal while the English, much as @LukeV describes above, get well drunk before they touch their food and, as a result, seem a lot more drunk than the French do.
-S-
I've posted before my theory that it's got to do with Vikings. Having sat in multicultural classrooms in Europe, I noticed that when, at the end of a long day, I asked, "Who's coming to the bar?" it was the English, Scots, Swedes, Norwegians, Russians and Poles who immediately replied, "Race you there!". The Germans, French, Belgians and Italians said, "no thanks we've got something better to do" or "no thanks we'll see you after for dinner." When offered a drink only the descendants of Vikings never have anything better to do and aren't interested in eating.

I've posted before my theory that it's got to do with Vikings. Having sat in multicultural classrooms in Europe, I noticed that when, at the end of a long day, I asked, "Who's coming to the bar?" it was the English, Scots, Swedes, Norwegians, Russians and Poles who immediately replied, "Race you there!". The Germans, French, Belgians and Italians said, "no thanks we've got something better to do" or "no thanks we'll see you after for dinner." When offered a drink only the descendants of Vikings never have anything better to do and aren't interested in eating.

I was going to chalk this up to Romans vs Barbarians, but the German angle throws a wrench in it.

Although I have to say it really depends on which part of Germany you're in.

Nice, I'm German, Norwegian, and a dash of British Isles, no wonder I used to get wasted before, during, and after dinner.

Sorry to change the subject yet again, but a couple of years back I watched a video - on Amazon Prime, I think - presented by Richard Hammond where he discussed how the English and the French drink. The conclusion was interesting - apparently both consume about the same amount of alcohol but the French take it in slowly with their meal while the English, much as @LukeV describes above, get well drunk before they touch their food and, as a result, seem a lot more drunk than the French do.

-S-

Richard Hammond, the Top Gear dude who keeps getting in wrecks and setting cars on fire?

Back
Top Bottom