all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I had put down on paper: the background, biochemistry, breathing, movement, the exercises and the protocol and only derived about 25 pages, not quite enough for a book without a lot of filler (which I despise). I couldn't see how to lengthen it. Then, I began working on my workshop and so it is collecting dust
I’d still buy it as a short manual. Throw some cool case reports in there too!

Last edited:
the background, biochemistry, breathing, movement, the exercises and the protocol and only derived about 25 pages, not quite enough for a book without a lot of filler (which I despise). I couldn't see how to lengthen it.

As a satisfied owner of your manual from a few years back, I appreciate your desire to refrain from adding BS for the sake of fitting your project into a pre-determined mold. I would agree with@rickyw, though. If you do decide to resume editing, I don't think there's anything wrong with it a manual instead of a book. I know quite a few people who avoid educating themselves because they don't have a good relationship with the written word, and to quote William Occam "It is vain to do with more what can be done with less."

I had put down on paper: the background, biochemistry, breathing, movement, the exercises and the protocol and only derived about 25 pages, not quite enough for a book without a lot of filler (which I despise). I couldn't see how to lengthen it. Then, I began working on my workshop and so it is collecting dust.

Agreed. 'Brevity is the soul of wit'

I would also be extremely interested. I've followed this thread with great interest for months. Just got a Polar H10 and have been using it for a few sessions and need clarity on max HR, in my case my MAF heart rate is 121 per the formula.
I just ran a swing session today 2 hand swinging a 48 for reps of 7 x 17 repeats and duration of 28 mins. The average heart rate came in at 120 and ranged from 114 to 132 bpm.
Am I on the right trajectory here or should I attempt to not exceed the 121 bpm?
A little background I've practiced Tang Soo Do for 30 years. A striking art that I would equate to a highly glycolytic form of training of high intensity bursts and then a recovery period, repeated over and over for 30 to sometimes 50 minutes in a typical training session. And weight trained for 40 yrs total.
Doing that I believe has built a fairly efficient pump. My resting HR is 150 to 155 today. Given the MAF formula I believe I've read that a 5 bpm upward adjustment is sometimes applicable accounting for training history etc.
How can I get the correct target rate reliably, a 1.5 mile run is something I wouldn't do out of the gate as I haven't run for a loooong time and don't want a training interruption due to shin splints,knee inflamation or something else. At my age I've learned to start slowly any new training regimen. I could run a 5 min snatch test, the 20k is my test bell. Would that be sufficient or should I work back to running and or rucking if running causes problems? Just need to get this right. Thanks

Bret-

No offense, but your resting HR is 150-155? Wouldn't that normally qualify as tachycardia? I suspect that you mean 50-55 bpm?

Am I on the right trajectory here or should I attempt to not exceed the 121 bpm?
the current consensus is, that MAF when it comes to KB ballistics is more of a pointer than the point to shot for. Phil Maffetone developed the Maximum Aerobic Function formula through lots of experience having mostly experienced endurance athletes as his subjects and clients. MAF as a target has its most value in regards with traditional endurance events.

It is o.k. when hr gets over MAF. With A+A ballistics one gets the benefits, while spending lots of sessions with it over weeks to months and one monitors oneself from set to set, session to session, weeks...to develop a reliable subjective feel. Probably the best gauge for beginning a set would be getting in sync and watch the breath.

Another thing to consider with doing volume with A+A: even if the average hr is relatively low (according to Polar App I am mostly did a "light" session), it is power repeats with a considerable amount of weight, it can creep up on someone. To handle that more easily easy locomotion work is the magic.

Al,

What about combining your current PT manual and your new work? We talked about the new material in our PMs back and forth, but combining them just dawned on me.

Paul

Al,

What about combining your current PT manual and your new work? We talked about the new material in our PMs back and forth, but combining them just dawned on me.

Paul

I thank you for the advice, Paul... and in fact, that is what I was thinking. But as this thread urged me, I went back to see where I had left off. I am actually at 70 pages with a few more sections to write and then a full edit. I think it is strong and robust enough to stand on its own merit. Standby...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom