all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

I've found the same - the recovery time from jumping isn't so long.

I wonder if it's the partial ROM - you typically wouldn't start a jump from way down in the hole. I wonder if a partial ROM squat might be a compromise path there.
Dunno, today I worked push press among other things, I can feel a leg stim and shoulder pump doing them, my gut feeling is they're potent and need to be dosed carefully. Recovery is still King!

I think maybe the power jump is a partial squat/hinge.. meaning if you were to straighten up your torso you'd find yourself in a partial squat-ish stance? They're powerful in the A + A format in my experience doing sets of 5, I stop when the spring begins to lose tension.

Sunday was a lazy Dad's day. Whole family went to the batting cages, and then went to eat lots of fried food. Good stuff.

Missed morning training on Monday because sleep. We had a baseball game in the evening, where we just got demolished. It's not that the boys even played poorly or made a lot of mistakes... we were just outclassed. Hard as a coach, I feel like some of these kids have some potential and I'm letting them down not finding a way to get them some wins. But, just nature of the game sometimes.

Had to hit the gym in the evening to sweat out that feeling of failure. ? -> ?

6/21 21:00

BAN practice
KB snatch 22x5 32
TGU 10x1 32
Pushups 4x10
Hangboard

6/22 07:30

Samurai getups x10
Belly getups x10
45min treadmill run/walk 3.5m
- 1W 35E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

6/22 17:00

Squat mobility
SQT 3x5 260#
OP 3x5 125#
Pull-ups 3,3,2,1,1 16
Grip work

Today was one of those days where a wiser man might have said, "I'm not feeling 100% after the high-volume snatch day, perhaps I'll save squats for another day. " But, the inner hulk countered with, "SQUATTING IS AWESOME YOU'LL BE FINE GO SQUAAAAAAT!!!" So I went with the inner hulk. Have a couple of light days on the schedule coming up, we'll see if the inner hulk was intelligently budgeting for recovery.

6/22 07:30

Samurai getups x10
Belly getups x10
45min treadmill run/walk 3.5m
- 1W 35E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

6/22 17:00

Squat mobility
SQT 3x5 260#
OP 3x5 125#
Pull-ups 3,3,2,1,1 16
Grip work

Today was one of those days where a wiser man might have said, "I'm not feeling 100% after the high-volume snatch day, perhaps I'll save squats for another day. " But, the inner hulk countered with, "SQUATTING IS AWESOME YOU'LL BE FINE GO SQUAAAAAAT!!!" So I went with the inner hulk. Have a couple of light days on the schedule coming up, we'll see if the inner hulk was intelligently budgeting for recovery.
You know, I think you should keep that inner hulk’s voice alive.

A few broken days of training.

6/24 07:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

We had what ended up being our last baseball game of the season Thursday night. Another heartbreaker, because the boys were awesome with the bats - every boy put at least one ball in play. But in the end we just kept making simple defensive errors that kept us behind on the scoreboard. Emotionally draining.

6/25 08:00

Samurai getups x10
Belly getups x10
50min treadmill run/walk 3.9m
- 1W 40E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
FSPM + front splits

Had some family visiting town on Friday, so I ended up working on my tortilla chip and margarita rep maxes. Saturday was make-up day.

06/26 10:30

BAN practice
KB snatch 4x25 24
SQT 3x5 260#
OP 3x5 125#
Pull-ups 4,3,2,1,1 16
Grip work
NS burpee + pull-up x12

The high-rep snatch sets were really taxing on the grip and forearms, really felt it during pull-ups and grip work.

A long swim eh…
Well... long is a relative term, of course. One man's long swim is another man's leisurely float over to poolside bar for another shot of tequila.

That dude's pretty yoked for a swimmer
I had an aquaintence back in my twenties who had been a competitive swimmer in college. Really good-looking young lady... and, with the size of her shoulders, I'm pretty sure she could have knocked me the @#$% out if she ever felt like it.

Woke up with a really sore inner elbow. Not sure what that was from... the tough session on Saturday? Swimming on Sunday? Bowling on Friday? Some combination of them all? Who knows. But elected to skip morning training. It improved later in the day.
If it's on the side you bowl that would be my guess, of course swimming would do it if you're not used to it.. my body has been sore for a week + now, the only thing I can think of is changes I've made in taking care of the pup.

If it's on the side you bowl that would be my guess, of course swimming would do it if you're not used to it.. my body has been sore for a week + now, the only thing I can think of is changes I've made in taking care of the pup.
Yeah, that's my bet too (it is on the bowling side)... just weird that it took so long to manifest, there was no sign of it over the weekend. DOBS, I guess (delayed onset bowling soreness). I suppose that means you've got DOPS (delayed onset puppy soreness).

Woke up Wednesday morning feeling run down - the heavy barbell days definitely take their toll. Decided it was a good day for a day off, aside from some volleyball in the evening.

7/1 07:30

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

7/1 17:30

Squat mobility
KB2HS 18x5 48
TGU 10x1 32
Push-ups 4x10
Hangboard

Ah, good old TGU... as much as I would like to get back to some heavier TGUs, I feel like I'm wringing plenty out of the 32 right now. Hammer the pride down a little, and enjoy the ride.

Back
Top Bottom