all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

It’s Wednesday.... no posts since Saturday.... everything okay or just slacking?
Everything's okay, it's been a bit of a cluster since I got back on Sunday. Monday I ended up doing catch up work all day and yesterday's training time was taken up by a dental appointment. I'm chomping at the bit to train and feeling very conflicted, yesterday while riding along PCH up to my appointment I was looking at the ocean and sucking in the fresh Sea Air so I'm dying to run. Don't know if that's going to happen today though, probably will be a resistance day, then tomorrow I can hit the beach for a run.

Wed 6/9

Mace 360
4 x 50 @ 22lb

5 rounds
Sn L x 5 @ 24k
Sn R x 5 @""
Pullup x 5

5 rounds
C&PP L x 2 @ 24k
C&PP R x 2 @""
Ring pushup x 10

Mace 10/2
2 x 50 @ 26lb

Totals
200 mace turns @ 22lb
50 Sn @ 24k
25 pullup
20 C&PP @ 24k
50 RPU
100 mace 10/2 @ 26lb

Played with something new today, on the C & P I lowered the weight snatch style to take pressure off my shoulder.. Could be onto something with this.
Screenshot 2021-06-09 3.44.52 PM.png

Last edited:
Everything's okay, it's been a bit of a cluster since I got back on Sunday. Monday I ended up doing catch up work all day and yesterday's training time was taken up by a dental appointment. I'm chomping at the bit to train and feeling very conflicted, yesterday while riding along PCH up to my appointment I was looking at the ocean and sucking in the fresh Sea Air so I'm dying to run. Don't know if that's going to happen today though, probably will be a resistance day, then tomorrow I can hit the beach for a run.
Your dentist is on PCH? How cool is that? I worked and stayed in Redondo Beach for a few weeks back in the 90's. Great place to run, or rollerblade(then).

Your dentist is on PCH? How cool is that? I worked and stayed in Redondo Beach for a few weeks back in the 90's. Great place to run, or rollerblade(then).
Ya, he built his place there 35 yrs ago.. he's a lucky guy. That building and lot are worth big bucks now. Luckily San Diego isn't quite as crowded as the Redondo area, you'd be shocked at how it's changed I think.

Last edited:
How do you like the combination of snatch and long cycle?
I'm experimenting with lowering the LC weight snatch style to take pressure off my shoulder. Long cycle is nice, and I believe there are great benefits to it so I'm experimenting with what I can do along those lines. It's hard not to lower the weight normally, sometimes I forget.
-
I'll keep playing around with LC and see what happens, the big question is how much volume my shoulder will tolerate without too much inflammation. It's a miracle I can do any of it so I'm pleased with shoulder progress.
-
I think LC and snatch can be done in the same session so long as volume isn't too much in either movement.

I'm experimenting with lowering the LC weight snatch style to take pressure off my shoulder. Long cycle is nice, and I believe there are great benefits to it so I'm experimenting with what I can do along those lines. It's hard not to lower the weight normally, sometimes I forget.
-
I'll keep playing around with LC and see what happens, the big question is how much volume my shoulder will tolerate without too much inflammation. It's a miracle I can do any of it so I'm pleased with shoulder progress.
-
I think LC and snatch can be done in the same session so long as volume isn't too much in either movement.
I have done 10 minutes or 2 times 5 minutes snatch vwc style, followed by 10 minutes (or 2 x 5 minutes) push presses vwc style. Liked the combo, although the push presses killed me cardio wise

I have done 10 minutes or 2 times 5 minutes snatch vwc style, followed by 10 minutes (or 2 x 5 minutes) push presses vwc style. Liked the combo, although the push presses killed me cardio wise
Snatching tends to work you pretty well, it's amazing to me how much energy the long cycle push presses take compared to snatches. I'd like to work up to five reps per set LC with the 28k Bell if I can, doing it a + a style of course. It might work out to where two or three reps done for many repeats is the answer for my shoulder to tolerate long cycle.. I don't know yet.
-
There are so many great ways to train with kettlebells, but time and Recovery especially are always a huge factor when deciding. Kettlebells are always fun and never boring :)

Snatching tends to work you pretty well, it's amazing to me how much energy the long cycle push presses take compared to snatches. I'd like to work up to five reps per set LC with the 28k Bell if I can, doing it a + a style of course. It might work out to where two or three reps done for many repeats is the answer for my shoulder to tolerate long cycle.. I don't know yet.
-
There are so many great ways to train with kettlebells, but time and Recovery especially are always a huge factor when deciding. Kettlebells are always fun and never boring :)
Completely agree. Together with the mace and clubbell nice fun tools that product result

Tues 6/15

Beach run 1 hr
Nice run today, it took a while for my watch to sync up with the satellite and I got tired of waiting so I just started running.. Ended up missing about two-tenths of a mile which is no biggie.

It took me all of five minutes to fix the problem with my right calf, I used the same method as I did on the left side to unglue the IT band fascia from the hamstring fascia. It's amazing what happens when those sliding surfaces don't slide so well.. The trickle-down theory applies here I guess and the calf seemed to be back to normal.
Screenshot 2021-06-15 12.39.50 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom