all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

How do you do your high rep mace work?
Monty, this day I started right hand high, did 50 turns the same direction, then reversed direction for another 50. The next hundo I switched hand positions and repeated the sequence. In the end I swing the mace either direction using either hand position.
On other days I'll do sets of 20.. or 50.. depending on what my training focus is that day, and the weight of the mace of course.
High rep sets give a nice pump in upper body and forearms.

Last edited:
Monty, this day I started right hand high, did 50 turns the same direction, then reversed direction for another 50. The next hundo I switched hand positions and repeated the sequence. In the end I swing the mace either direction using either hand position.
On other days I'll do sets of 20.. or 50.. depending on what my training focus is that day, and the weight of the mace of course.

Thanks, Bret. I’ll give it a shot. I’ve upped my volume with a lighter mace as suggested - I’ll keep you updated.

Thanks, Bret. I’ll give it a shot. I’ve upped my volume with a lighter mace as suggested - I’ll keep you updated.
Monty, FWIW, I didn't start to see real, tangible benefits from mace work until the weekly rep totals were +1000. I've since cut back some as I'm working more and splitting my recovery dollar with work and snatches.

Last week was a bit too much, running 15+ miles along with my usual format and added work related physical activity cuts into recovery. From here I'll monitor recovery a little closer and take days when I need to rest.

Hi Bret! Hope you are doing well!
Just wanted to add my limited experience: I do not feel what the mace works (maybe a little bit the forearms, but I do not feel much more). However when at the same overall daily volume I try to do longer sets (ie going from 8x10 to 4x20) I feel it the next few days in the deep muscles of my shoulders (rotator cuffs & so I believe).
Still working the 16.5lbs mace, I believe I will get more trunk work when I up to the heavier maces...
I have also found that the more proficient I become with the mace the less my forearms seem to work, not only grip but wrists as well...

Hi Bret! Hope you are doing well!
Just wanted to add my limited experience: I do not feel what the mace works (maybe a little bit the forearms, but I do not feel much more). However when at the same overall daily volume I try to do longer sets (ie going from 8x10 to 4x20) I feel it the next few days in the deep muscles of my shoulders (rotator cuffs & so I believe).
Still working the 16.5lbs mace, I believe I will get more trunk work when I up to the heavier maces...
I have also found that the more proficient I become with the mace the less my forearms seem to work, not only grip but wrists as well...
Francisco, great to hear from you!

There are lots of factors coming into play with mace work, not only load and volume are part of the calculus. As I've become more durable I'm much more aggressive with swing speed, using hips and quads you can really increase the weight behind you via increased inertia. Another thing to do is actively yank the handle back over the shoulder to the front, rather than relying on inertia, that really sets the stage for your next swing.

If you want to really see mace effects dedicate a session to mace only and hit a big volume session, you'll be sore in all the places that get worked.. it helped me greatly to map out the areas hit by swings. Crank out a couple hundred reps if it feels safe to do so, then prepare to be a little sore :).

On grip.. I use a looser grip at the top and increase grip strength as is required when the mace reaches its apogee, thereby pulsing with every swing. This comes naturally after a time.

Francisco, great to hear from you!

There are lots of factors coming into play with mace work, not only load and volume are part of the calculus. As I've become more durable I'm much more aggressive with swing speed, using hips and quads you can really increase the weight behind you via increased inertia. Another thing to do is actively yank the handle back over the shoulder to the front, rather than relying on inertia, that really sets the stage for your next swing.

If you want to really see mace effects dedicate a session to mace only and hit a big volume session, you'll be sore in all the places that get worked.. it helped me greatly to map out the areas hit by swings. Crank out a couple hundred reps if it feels safe to do so, then prepare to be a little sore :).

On grip.. I use a looser grip at the top and increase grip strength as is required when the mace reaches its apogee, thereby pulsing with every swing. This comes naturally after a time.
Thanks a lot for this Bret! Great insights. Cheers from the other side of the puddle!

That HR profile for the snatches is incredible.
Thanks bro, more a function of taking my time I'd suspect. Last week I drank alcohol on Thanksgiving, then again on Fri and Sat. That's why I went into a tailspin later in the week (training load aside) as my sinus infection kicked up. Only now am I starting to recover so lesson learned.... again.. I really hate feeling like that so it's a good motivator to have whiskey one night a week at most, I should probably stick to wine or not drink at all :/

Sat 12/5

Row and Mace
- row 10 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
- 40 mace turns @ 26 lb
- row 5 mins
- 40 mace turns @ 26 lb
- row 5 mins
- 30 mace turns @ 30 lb
- row 5 mins
- 30 mace turns @ 30 lb
- row 5 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
Totals
- 50 mins rowing
- 200 turns @ 22 lb
- 80 turns @ 26 lb
- 60 turns @ 30 lb
Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 12.15.11 PM.png

Sat 12/5

Row and Mace
- row 10 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
- 40 mace turns @ 26 lb
- row 5 mins
- 40 mace turns @ 26 lb
- row 5 mins
- 30 mace turns @ 30 lb
- row 5 mins
- 30 mace turns @ 30 lb
- row 5 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
- 50 mace turns @ 22 lb
- row 5 mins
Totals
- 50 mins rowing
- 200 turns @ 22 lb
- 80 turns @ 26 lb
- 60 turns @ 30 lb
View attachment 12054
Big mace volume!

Big mace volume!
Thanks Jon, I'm just going on gut instinct with it, and my gut tells me volume is key with mace work.

It blends so well with rowing and many other things aside from pushups possibly because of tricep demand. Lower reps up to 40 per set seem to be ok with pushups, 50 and above and some fatigue comes into play for me. Of course my rings are pretty heavily banded now.. so there's that.

Mon 12/7

Ruck at the lake 33 lbs (Varied and hilly terrain)
Wore my work boots and have blister action on the pad of the left foot, strange as I've never worn them for rucks before.. they're completely broken in. :/
Distance is wrong , gps took awhile, frustrating day
Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 2.19.08 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom