all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Built Strong Minimalist

Just started this program, looks awesome!

First question while I was doing my first session :

On one-arm/leg movement, should I do 4 left, 4 right then 6 left, 6 right? Or is it still 4 and 6 in total?

Thanks!

I just finished week 3 on BuiltStrong Minimalist. I'm really enjoying this program. However, my knees (arthritis) do NOT like squatting/Bulgarian split squats 3x/week.

I'm running this in addition to two days of Murph Challenge training (see this thread: Bodyweight - Murph Challenge Training)

Not gonna lie, I keep nerding out on this plan..

Gonna ask this since I'm sure someone is gonna ask it at one point (or probably has

@Fabio Zonin is it possible to mix and match the intensities? For example using mild for presses and tough for pulls??

Of course this is given you have at least one block under your belt as a minimum
For my next BuiltStrong Minimalist program, I'm planning on running the Tough schedule for the Heavy lifts with the Regular (or maybe Minimal) schedule for the Medium and Light exercises.

For my next BuiltStrong Minimalist program, I'm planning on running the Tough schedule for the Heavy lifts with the Regular (or maybe Minimal) schedule for the Medium and Light exercises.
It would certainly be less time consuming.
The Heavy days contribute fewer reps to the overall weekly NL. It would be interesting to see if Delta20 principle is maintained this way.
Also, I think the exercises peak on different weeks. I wonder if this is consistent across the three intensities?

I think it can be done. However, this would throw some of the calculations off.
It hink it would work anyway, although you might have less than 20% volume variation between some weeks.

If you want more heavy lifts, the best way would be to design a PlanStrong plan similar to a BuiltStong plan. But that is easier said than done :)

It would certainly be less time consuming.
The Heavy days contribute fewer reps to the overall weekly NL. It would be interesting to see if Delta20 principle is maintained this way.
Also, I think the exercises peak on different weeks. I wonder if this is consistent across the three intensities?
Yep, the Delta 20 principle is still maintained throughout.

And the volumes wave in the same manner each week on all three schedules (Minimal, Regular, Tough).

I think it can be done. However, this would throw some of the calculations off.
It hink it would work anyway, although you might have less than 20% volume variation between some weeks.

It doesn't really change anything other than the total number of lifts for the Heavy exercises increases slightly. It still maintains all the same principles.

I'm currently using the Tough schedule for my Heavy lifts with the Regular schedule for the Light and Medium lifts.

I made that change after 4 weeks of the Tough schedule for all three lifts when I realized the volume was too high on the Medium and Light exercises with my two days of Murph training.
If you want more heavy lifts, the best way would be to design a PlanStrong plan similar to a BuiltStong plan. But that is easier said than done :)
I've been playing around with the spreadsheet, and you can sort of do it, but it's still not truly a PlanStrong program because the reps/volume still end up being higher even when using the Minimal schedule and the lower rep ranges (8 & 12) for the Medium and Light exercises.

And even on the Tough schedule for the Heavy lifts, the volume is very low (which is why I kept the Tough schedule with my current training). I'm used to much more volume on Heavy lifts than BuiltStrong Minimalist uses.

Well, week 6 sucked a bit. My Friday session was definitely the hardest.

I'm looking forward to the decrease in volume for weeks 7 and 8.

But first, I have The Murph Challenge on Memorial day!

I am prepping to start BSM this week finally. I know I posted several months ago but I got distracted with the Giant program. Just wrapped up 12 weeks with the DBL KB C&P and really enjoyed it but I am ready for a little variety for now. Just wrapped up my RM testing yesterday and will start WK1 Session A tomorrow. Will update with results after all is said and done.

I plan on running a cycle of it with all nine different exercises with the goal of widening my base strength, then if all is going well, I was considering following that with another 8 week block with a little more specialization towards the big 3 lifts. I was a little surprised by my lagging squat strength but it's not something I have been putting much effort into training since I started lifting again. It will be interesting to see what kinds of gains I can get there.

One question for those who have gone through the program. I have a nine day vacation during week three. What would you suggest one do under these circumstances? My normal protocol would be to repeat the entire week two (the last week completed before vacation) and then continue on.

Thanks!

One question for those who have gone through the program. I have a nine day vacation during week three. What would you suggest one do under these circumstances? My normal protocol would be to repeat the entire week two (the last week completed before vacation) and then continue on.
Repeating week two will probably be the safe bet, especially for the squats (which are quite challenging in week three).

If you continue some type of similar training you migh just continue where you left it. But given your recent absence of squatting and pulling I would suggest you follow your "normal procotol".

Repeating week two will probably be the safe bet, especially for the squats (which are quite challenging in week three).

If you continue some type of similar training you migh just continue where you left it. But given your recent absence of squatting and pulling I would suggest you follow your "normal procotol".
Thanks for your sage advice. I think that makes a lot of sense in this regard. It will also serve the double purpose of easing me into the program a bit. I am trying out Zecher squats for the first time as my medium day squat choice (note: I have practiced them a bit, but first time scheduling them in a program). The volume on those does escalate quickly.

Have completed day 1 & I felt like it was an appropriate amount of work. Not too easy and not too hard. It will certainly be interesting to see how my body handles things as the volume ramps up.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice the latest release?

There are many discount codes for those who want to save some money

Last edited:
Did anyone noticed the latest release?

Nice! Wish I waited for two more weeks for this instead of buying the Minimalist.

Got it

Oh man, cool. I had not seen that.

It'll be interesting to see how the plan varies between BSM (Built Strong Minimalist) and the BTS4 and BTS6 plans. I'm assuming that BTS4 adds the hip hinge to a squat, press, and pull, and that the BTS6 plan separates the press and pull into vertical and horizontal pulls for a total of 6 moves? I'm especially curious how the 6 movements will be broken up across the week's sessions.

Currently still running the BSM program and enjoying it so I am not in rush to buy it, but I will be putting aside some cash for this later.

what's the difference between this and Built Strong Minimalist?

EDIT: Started a new thread on this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom