all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Elbow Pain Body Mechanics with the Double Clean

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
One week later update:

I’ve done the following on advice from @Mark Limbaga and other members and coaches here.

1) Cleaned up my double clean. From videos posted, it was pretty atrocious before. Now with everything 24kg and smaller it feels very smooth with no impact and my 28kg is getting super smooth as well, though with some room for improvement as I practice.

2) Removed pull-ups entirely while I’m doing heavier clean volume. I’ll probably add them back in after a few months when I drop my clean and press to just a day or two a week maintenance.

3) Ice rolling (small metal cup filled with water and frozen) the affected area and massaging it out with a lacrosse ball. I’ve also got some extensor bands inbound as well, but shipping from outside of Thailand is super slow, so I can’t say if that’s going to help yet or not.

So far, pain went from probably a 5-6 down to a 1-2. I’m eating and resting well and am finally starting to add volume back to my C&P program without pain.

I’ll keep updates in the event anyone else has a similar issue in the future.

Camera angle is crap, but here is a video from today practicing the hike and mid pull for the clean with double 24kg bells.
Late to the party, but here's my $0.02 -

The biggest problem is your start position.

Keep your head up, chest out, eyes on the horizon. The opposite of your guard position.

Also, keep your weight over your midfoot, and your big toes down.

Work those and see if they help.

Late to the party, but here's my $0.02 -

The biggest problem is your start position.

Keep your head up, chest out, eyes on the horizon. The opposite of your guard position.

Also, keep your weight over your midfoot, and your big toes down.

Work those and see if they help.
Thanks! I’m a huge fan of KB Strong, and have seen some pretty quick strength gains in just the first few weeks. I really appreciate your advice on this.

I’m not sure what’s going on with my feet. I’m finding that as my lift gets heavier either my toes are coming up or my heels are (almost like I’m jumping).

Mark Limbaga and others gave me some cues to fix other details and they have helped, but I haven’t been focusing on my feet. I’ll have to get more video with this afternoon’s lifts to see if it’s still happening.

Andi remember the hike position is a ready position

A shortstop waiting to catch the ball
A defensive back waiting for his opponent to juke
A wrestler anticipating to stuff the takedown

Hope this helps

Andi remember the hike position is a ready position

A shortstop waiting to catch the ball
A defensive back waiting for his opponent to juke
A wrestler anticipating to stuff the takedown

Hope this helps
Question regarding foot position and weight loading:

When I think “athletic ready position” I’m thinking weight slightly forward on the foot(near the ball of my foot). Ready for an explosive movement. Common across shooting sports, fighting, football, etc. When I’m in the position, my heals aren’t weighted at all (though they may be in contact with the ground/mats).

It’s not as prevalent with medium and lighter weights, but with heavier weights I feel my heels come off the ground if I explode up hard. Is this a fault in my form or just something that will naturally happen due to the stance? I see something similar with Olympic lifters on big explosive lifts so I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not.

Thanks for the help!

Question regarding foot position and weight loading:

When I think “athletic ready position” I’m thinking weight slightly forward on the foot(near the ball of my foot). Ready for an explosive movement. Common across shooting sports, fighting, football, etc. When I’m in the position, my heals aren’t weighted at all (though they may be in contact with the ground/mats).

It’s not as prevalent with medium and lighter weights, but with heavier weights I feel my heels come off the ground if I explode up hard. Is this a fault in my form or just something that will naturally happen due to the stance? I see something similar with Olympic lifters on big explosive lifts so I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not.

Thanks for the help!

You just need to make the paradigm shift of keeping the heels planted and being symmetrical in stance while keeping everything else equal

You just need to make the paradigm shift of keeping the heels planted and being symmetrical in stance while keeping everything else equal
I was a bit more observant of what my feet were doing. Apparently they are staying planted much better than previously. I could consciously feel the floor from my big toe all the way back to my heel throughout the clean and press.

Thanks! I’m a huge fan of KB Strong, and have seen some pretty quick strength gains in just the first few weeks. I really appreciate your advice on this.

I’m not sure what’s going on with my feet. I’m finding that as my lift gets heavier either my toes are coming up or my heels are (almost like I’m jumping).

Mark Limbaga and others gave me some cues to fix other details and they have helped, but I haven’t been focusing on my feet. I’ll have to get more video with this afternoon’s lifts to see if it’s still happening.
Glad to help.

And also glad to hear about your strength results so far.

Mark is a great guy. We're fortunate to have him on this forum.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom