all posts post new thread
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

joemac

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi.

I wish to develop a long-term flexibility and mobility routine, beyond mere strength and conditioning through kettle-bells and body-weights.

I purchased the book "Flexible Steel" and read it twice. But I had difficulty understanding concretely what it was telling me to do. It seemed a like random hodgepodge of ideas without any concrete goal at the end. But I am ignorant, so perhaps I am wrong on this because the ideas seemed relatively well developed.

So now I am reviewing this video by Louka Kurcer titled "Flexible Steel Mobility and Flexibility Complex". It looks very good and has a set of the following:
  1. Bent Arm Bar (for shoulder mobility, stability, and health)
  2. Rib Pull (for tea spine mobility)
  3. Bretzel (for tea spine mobility, quad, and hip flexor stretch)
  4. Pump Stretch (for total body flexibility)
  5. Tactical Frog (for groin stretch and hip mobility)
  6. Hip Flexor Stretch (for hip flexor release)
  7. Prying Goblet Squat (for hip mobility and strength)
  8. Cossack Squat (for hip mobility, lower body flexibility, and strength)
  9. Good Morning Stretch (for hip mobility and posterior chain flexibility
  10. Kettle-bell Pullover (for shoulder and chest opener and improved posture)
  11. Getup With High Bridge (for hip mobility, glute activation, and full body control)
  12. Tall Kneeling Halo (for shoulder mobility, stability, and improved posture
  13. Tall Kneeling Rotations (for t-spine mobility, hip stability, and improved posture)
To this, I think I would added (1) Pavel's wrist stretches, and (2) Pavel's finger stretches, (3) hanging, etc.

Louka also has this "strange" thing called a "Flexibility Steel Mobility Complex" which looks more like Tai Chi than the above flexibility and mobility complex.

Also, I see this thing called "4 weeks to flexible steel".

My fundamental issue is that I don't understand what the "goal" of all this is.
  1. Does this sequence of movements have as their goal some particular set of movements such as side splits or front splits or something else?
  2. Alternatively, is this merely something one does regularly for the rest of one's life to maintain general flexibility and mobility?
I spend hours each day in a chair working on a computer, which has developed lower back, shoulder, and spinal discomfort as I age.
So I have a current goal of achieving (1) lotus position and (2) side/middle splits, (3) knees-over-toes/butt-to-the grass squat.
  1. To achieve lotus position, each evening for 10 minutes I sit in cross legged position, with Pavel's "relaxed breathing" and slowly progressing towards having knees to the floor.
  2. To achieve the squat, I do prying goblet squat
  3. To achieve side/middle splits, I thought John Engum's Flexible Steel program has this as a goal, and it is explained by Jon and Louka and that his "tactical frog sequence" is a great first step towards moving in the direction of side splits and front splits. Should I do this?
I appreciate any advice from those with more experience.

Ilya

Last edited:
This is what I do in regards to flexible steel...

Before every workout I do:
Series 1 (the standing series in the book)
Neck nods
Arm swings forward & backwards
Body hugs (arm swings horizontal)
Leg swings forward, backwards, and laterally
Knee rotation
Egyptian
Wrist rotations
Cossacks

That takes about 3-4min... Then I base the rest of of what I'm doing that day, so if I'm doing overhead work then
Rib rolls
Arm bar
Halos

If I'm doing lower body
Frog series
RDL stretch (kb behind you hip hinge)
Prying goblet squats

On my easy recovery days (usually Z2 cardio days) I work on front & side splits + hanging

Hope that helps

2 good products from flexiblesteel :

Don't know it just makes me feel good, like lubricating the joints. The other video is good also but you can do this one anywhere anytime.

Louka also has this "strange" thing called a "Flexibility Steel Mobility Complex" which looks more like Tai Chi than the above flexibility and mobility complex.
This is more along the lines of Pavel's Super Joints. I do it every morning upon waking before I go to work. I think Russians call it a morning recharge.

How is the purpose of this different from Louka's "Flexible Steel Mobility and Flexibility Complex" video?
Louka uses (or used when I attended his classes) this as a general warm-up at the beginning of a class. He also adds other more specific work after.

It's to lubricate joints and get the blood moving.

Neck nods
Knee rotation
Egyptian
Wrist rotations
Cossacks

That takes about 3-4min... Then I base the rest of of what I'm doing that day, so if I'm doing overhead work then
Rib rolls
Arm bar
Halos

If I'm doing lower body
Frog series
Prying goblet squats

On my easy recovery days (usually Z2 cardio days) I work on front & side splits + hanging

Hope that helps
Listen to this guy. Good summary of the book and other works I’ve read.

One last thing I’d add is a pterodactyl stretch (from Quicksilver) or the 90/90 stretch. Basically just a glute med stretch.

Neck nods
Knee rotation
Egyptian
Wrist rotations
Cossacks

Rib rolls
Arm bar
Halos

If I'm doing lower body
Frog series
Prying goblet squats

Hope that helps
Any books you recommend, aside from Flexible Steel, which describe these movements?

Listen to this guy. Good summary of the book and other works I’ve read.

One last thing I’d add is a pterodactyl stretch (from Quicksilver) or the 90/90 stretch. Basically just a glute med stretch.
I do that stretch usually at the end of the session

Post session stretching is:
Pterodactyl (90/90)
Lunge stretch (1/2 kneeling hip flexor)
Bretzel

Back
Top Bottom