all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fructose and fat storage

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I´ve eaten 2500-3000 cal of fruit per day for a few years.

Questionable

Consuming up to 3000 kcal per day is an extremely questionable statement.

That would mean an individual would be consuming 750 gram of carbohydrates via fruit ALONE.

If we used apples as an example, the would mean an individual would be consuming 37.5 apples a day; hard to believe and makes no sense.

Kenny Croxdale

Good stuff.:)

The Podcast

The one you posted is very short.

It essentially supports the information the that I posted, "The poison is in the dose"; over eating it the main issue.

However, it hard to over consume high fiber fruit.

As Antii basically stated, Fruit Juice is a problem due the high amount of calories, high sugar (fructose/glucose) it is loaded with.

Before Training...

Again, there is no advantage for an individual to ingest fruit prior to training , nor is the any real reason for someone to limit fruit to mornings.

Kenny Croxdale

I´ve eaten 2500-3000 cal of fruit per day for a few years. Nothing wrong happened. Im now eating a more normal diet, but at least 50% of my calories still come from fruit.

I dont think anything bad can happen from eating fruit, in particular in the quantities normal people eat. If in doubt, just eat them before 5 pm and ideally around training time.

If you eat m&ms, ditch the m&m and eat fruit, no doubt about that imo.

Questionable

That would mean an individual would be consuming 750 gram of carbohydrates via fruit ALONE.

If we used apples as an example, the would mean an individual would be consuming 37.5 apples a day; hard to believe and makes no sense.

Kenny Croxdale
Hey Kenny, I appreciate your input, but this post comes across as a little harsh. If you're interested in understanding more about @Oscar's diet you should ask him about it rather question the legitimacy of his statement or his evaluation of his nutrition. Also, this may not be what @Oscar meant but avocados are a high fat fruit that are incredibly calorically dense and can be a part of a fruit based nutrition plan.

The Podcast

The one you posted is very short.
I didn't post this.

The original intent of this thread is not to suggest that fruit is unhealthy. The point is to engage folks to see what their experiences have been. This community is dedicated to strength and I would add wellness overall. I understand that anecdotal information is not peer reviewed science, but as I am trying to transition to a better quality of life, I like consulting those that are on this path themselves. That is the advantage of being a part of a community of people that are hopefully striving towards the same things or at least heading in th same direction.

And please, if you have anything to share about your own experience please do so.

Thanks.

Questionable

Kenny Croxdale
Kenny, here you go. February 4th, 2016.

upload_2018-6-14_11-33-35.pngupload_2018-6-14_11-34-52.png
upload_2018-6-14_11-35-45.png

Did you notice any real change in perceived energy levels, sleeping habits etc?

That is an impressive amount of fruit!
To my surprise, I didnt. Energy was well, I was doing crossfit at the time and performing just fine. My biggest surprise was that I didnt feel that different from when I ate lots of animal protein.

To be fair, I wasnt training in an organized manner back then, so it wasnt easy to track all parameters like recovery, soreness, increases in strength, etc. I was doing crossfit which is chaotic in nature, so if I felt sore or didnt recover it probably was because I did a million burpees, lunges or whatever, without reasonable programming. Sometimes I did a new exercise for tons of reps, so no wonder I felt sore the next day.

I´m now 1.5 years doing S&S, so my training is better organized now. It would make it easier to monitor changes in diet.

My only conclusion from the high fruit experiment was this: Food of natural sources is self-regulatory. Its impossible to overeat fruit or meat or lettuces. By the time you reach about 600 cal you are satisfied and bored.

Man @Oscar I could have a thousand questions for you!! Would you mind answering a few questions?

• Where you supplementing with anything (vitamins etc...)?
  • Where you able to build muscle mass and strength consistently?
  • Body comp?
  • Any blood work?

The total amounts of macronutrients seem to fly in the face of conventional wisdom! That's amazing!

@Oscar What is the reason you eat so much fruit and so little protein?

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, just curious why you eat like that.

Fruit is the best! Here is what I eat on an average day excluding fast days. I am currently around 12-13% body fat. Fruit doesn't make you fat, sitting on your @!#$ makes you fat!

1 cup of blueberries
2 Kiwis
1 cup of cherries
1-2 cups cantaloupe
sometimes a banana

Fruit is the best! Here is what I eat on an average day excluding fast days. I am currently around 12-13% body fat. Fruit doesn't make you fat, sitting on your @!#$ makes you fat!

1 cup of blueberries
2 Kiwis
1 cup of cherries
1-2 cups cantaloupe
sometimes a banana
This is the amount of fruit you consume in addition your regular meals right?

The Gracie family of jiu jitsu fame, consume an incredible amount of fruit daily and are athletic and lean into advanced age.

Couple of things. One can of Coke/Pepsi has as much fructose as 5-6 large bananas (ripe) to put it in perspective. Easy to drink 3 cans of coke but try eating 15 bananas!

Fructose is almost entirely taken up by the liver and stored as glycogen or converted to triglycerides (if glycogen levels are full). These triglycerides are exported by the liver in the form of VLDL cholesterol particles. Uptake by the liver is not going to be faster after a workout because the fructose transporter is not insulin or exercise mediated. Heavy fructose intake can drive up blood triglycerides but fruit consumption is unlikely to do so because you probably cannot eat enough fruit to make that happen. In any case, if you eat fruit in the morning when liver glycogen levels are low after an overnight fast, you will ensure that the fructose goes towards glycogen storage, rather than triglycerides.

Avoid sugar sweetened drinks (including Gatorade, which is just sugar water) and added sugar in processed food but eat all of the fruit you want. There is much more to fruit than carbohydrates (fiber, micronutrients, bioligically active compounds). Doesn't matter much when you eat it but morning is a good choice.

20180615_173332.jpg
Man @Oscar I could have a thousand questions for you!! Would you mind answering a few questions?

• Where you supplementing with anything (vitamins etc...)?
  • Where you able to build muscle mass and strength consistently?
  • Body comp?
  • Any blood work?

The total amounts of macronutrients seem to fly in the face of conventional wisdom! That's amazing!

Ryan, below a blood test. I wasn't suplementing.

About muscle mass and body comp , I didn't notice significant changes compared to normal diets. I lost some weight, but I wasn't training in an organized manner so I can't give feedback on that.

If your main goal is to be lean and muscular, I wouldn't reinvent the wheel and rather stick with methods with proven results. If your goal is health, you can't go wrong if you add some fruit to your diet imo.

@MattM at that time I read some books and saw some documentaries that said that protein was unnecessary and even bad. One example is "Forks over Knives". I now eat some protein, but I still think that for health purposes, only very little protein is needed. I'm now at my all time lowest body fat, 15%, eating this way. And still improving. By the time I reach Simple I think I'll manage to be at 12% without much effort.

Attachments

• 20180615_173332.jpg
    20180615_173332.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 6
@Ryan T here is an experiment you can do with zero risk. Go to myfitnesspal and write down what you ate today. Capture the screen. Then, replace your breakfast or snack by a smoothie I usually drink: 3 oranges, 200 grams of berries and 500 grams of spinach. Capture the screen, compare both and keep the one you like the most.

View attachment 5770 Ryan, below a blood test. I wasn't suplementing. About muscle mass and body comp , I didn't notice significant changes compared to normal diets. P at that time I read some books and saw some documentaries that said that protein was unnecessary and even bad. One example is "Forks over Knives". I now eat some protein, but I still think that for health purposes, only very little protein is needed.

Has anybody else had experience with low protein diets? Say averaging below approx 40g per day. Any impact on musculature, strength, endurance etc?

@Oscar Thanks for all the info. I'll give it a shot!

I've watched FOK and attempted to transition to a WPBD but I wasn't able to handle both missing foods I enjoyed and the fact that I was the only one in my household interested. I still get their email newsletter and check out some of the recipes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom