all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

I started 1.0 at the same time everyone else did but got derailed after about week 3 with a screwy shoulder, so haven't kept up; and my additions to this thread may be a bit off-track, but maybe interesting....

1. I applied the formula for 3.0 to front squats and found it to be.......brutal. Was using a 36/40 and switching sides for every set and started getting around 55-reps total in 20m. By the end of the 3rd week, I was on pace to get around 80. Limiting factor was that I couldn't keep my "wind" under control enough to hold my breath all the way through the last reps of later rounds; so I'd lose tension in my mid-section and failed WAY more reps than I did with the C&P's. Obviously needed more time between sets; but it seems the formula produces a different training effect on front squats; or maybe I just have a weak midsection.....; The failure point in C&P's for me is always the delts running out of gas; not wind.

2. Shoulder feels good enough to dive back into the C&P's so did a RM test last Wednesday. I figured I'd dial the rep-volume way back so was planning on doing either 20m of 3.0, or Phase 1 of "Strong!" I'd never gotten (or even bothered to try) more than 2-reps with the 36's, but figured I'd try, with the idea that if I got 3-4, I'd do "Strong!", and on the off-chance I could do 5; I'd do Giant 3.0. Got 5 without too much trouble; 50/50 that I'd have gotten 6 but didn't bother to try. So I did 8 sets of 3 in 20m Friday and am looking forward to starting the program "proper" tomorrow.

The reason I mention that is that I think I was at about an 8RM with 32's 6-weeks ago. After 3-weeks of 1.0 (where I went from around 160 reps to around 250 in 30m); and 3-weeks of no overhead work; I did a solid 5RM test with 36's. I'm still kind of in shock by how light they felt.

I honestly can't say I recall ever doing effective training sessions that I actually ENJOY so much (I've historically been a classic acid bather; but could never keep it up for long)! Best $20 I've ever spent....I'm a believer....
Nicely done!

I got the email, detailing this program. Seems to be a Clean and Press program (or multiple programs).

Anyone buy and care to give a quick comparison to KB Strong or other programs?

Thanks
I did KB Giant 1.0. Well, not exactly as according to plan--I did it IN ADDITION TO other work (i.e. integrated it into other training), and not precisely on a M.W.F schedule, so it's not a pure test of the program. But FWIW:
- At any given weight, the "press" part is much harder than the "clean" part. I found that my 10RM at the beginning was 2 x 25 lb. kettlebells (sorry, my gym uses KBs in American weights, not metric). I felt silly double-cleaning 2x25# since I normally one-handed swing more than that, but that was as much as I could press the 10 times. I think my 2x35# max C&P was maybe 5 reps.
- I did it for 20 min each time, and recorded my sets by marking a tick in a notepad. At the end of each session, I'd count up how many sets & reps that equaled, and try to beat it. (This often involved pushing hard towards the end of the 20 min.)
- After 4 weeks of the program, I re-tested my max reps. I could now C&P 2x25# for *20* reps (i.e. doubled), and 2x35# for 10 reps.
So it definitely performed as advertised! I was pleased.
I'm not sure how much of a role the cleans performed. They weren't taxing at all (if they had been taxing, I wouldn't have been able to press them). One possibility is that they provide a very brief semi-rest between presses. Another possibility is that they help in some subtler way by setting you up for the presses. Another possibility is that the program would work fine if you just did the presses without the cleans--I have no idea. All I can say is that the density-based approach doubled my max reps in 4 weeks.

I did KB Giant 1.0. Well, not exactly as according to plan--I did it IN ADDITION TO other work (i.e. integrated it into other training), and not precisely on a M.W.F schedule, so it's not a pure test of the program. But FWIW:
- At any given weight, the "press" part is much harder than the "clean" part. I found that my 10RM at the beginning was 2 x 25 lb. kettlebells (sorry, my gym uses KBs in American weights, not metric). I felt silly double-cleaning 2x25# since I normally one-handed swing more than that, but that was as much as I could press the 10 times. I think my 2x35# max C&P was maybe 5 reps.
- I did it for 20 min each time, and recorded my sets by marking a tick in a notepad. At the end of each session, I'd count up how many sets & reps that equaled, and try to beat it. (This often involved pushing hard towards the end of the 20 min.)
- After 4 weeks of the program, I re-tested my max reps. I could now C&P 2x25# for *20* reps (i.e. doubled), and 2x35# for 10 reps.
So it definitely performed as advertised! I was pleased.
I'm not sure how much of a role the cleans performed. They weren't taxing at all (if they had been taxing, I wouldn't have been able to press them). One possibility is that they provide a very brief semi-rest between presses. Another possibility is that they help in some subtler way by setting you up for the presses. Another possibility is that the program would work fine if you just did the presses without the cleans--I have no idea. All I can say is that the density-based approach doubled my max reps in 4 weeks.
Impressive, I grabbed the program and am very interested in the approach. I am holding off on going for it straight away as I'm focusing on OAPU/pistol stuff at the moment.

Hey all, just finished GIANT 1.0 today. Can't believe I actually finished a program without modifying it. GIANT cured me of Shiny Object Syndrome! Lol...

Was doing single C&P's with a 20 kg on a 20 minute timer and I ran it exactly by the book. Quick numbers:

-From week 1 to week 4, total volume increased from 9,810 lbs to 16,110 lbs.
-Final 4 rep day today saw 64 reps each side with good form.

My shoulders are strong and feel great, especially for these 51 year old arm holders. On off days, I did an occasional set of chin-ups, Filipino martial arts stuff, a few snatches here and there and recovered with light jogs and some yoga moves.

Question for you all:

I'm about to start GIANT 1.1 with the 20 kg single C&P's on Monday. Since the rep scheme is going up, I'm wondering if I should stick with the 20 minute timer or go up to 25 or even 30 minutes?

After 1.1, I plan to retest the 10 RM at 24 kg and then go back to 1.0 and 1.1 at that weight.

Any guidance, anecdotes, etc. appreciated!

Question for you all:

I'm about to start GIANT 1.1 with the 20 kg single C&P's on Monday. Since the rep scheme is going up, I'm wondering if I should stick with the 20 minute timer or go up to 25 or even 30 minutes?

After 1.1, I plan to retest the 10 RM at 24 kg and then go back to 1.0 and 1.1 at that weight.

Great job on finishing! It is challenging and a lot of fun. :)

Personally I like 30 min time frame when its really the only thing I'm doing that day - just hit my 30 minute session, follow it with some yoga/stretching/crawling, and then call it done. I also like having the twenty minute bail out as a a "program minimum" if I'm running short on time that day (e.g. kids wake up sooner than expected) or if I'm feeling tired and run down (e.g. job stress, didn't sleep well, etc.).

Hey all, just finished GIANT 1.0 today. Can't believe I actually finished a program without modifying it. GIANT cured me of Shiny Object Syndrome! Lol...

Was doing single C&P's with a 20 kg on a 20 minute timer and I ran it exactly by the book. Quick numbers:

-From week 1 to week 4, total volume increased from 9,810 lbs to 16,110 lbs.
-Final 4 rep day today saw 64 reps each side with good form.

My shoulders are strong and feel great, especially for these 51 year old arm holders. On off days, I did an occasional set of chin-ups, Filipino martial arts stuff, a few snatches here and there and recovered with light jogs and some yoga moves.

Question for you all:

You can always start conservative for week 1 to get a feel then adjust by week 2

@KB70 , if it helps. I've been doing each segment in the following way (just finished week 3 of 1.2 yesterday);

I try to do 30 minute sessions for weeks 1,2 and 3 ramping up the volume each day of each week. Basically week three is my heaviest week. In week four I reduce the volume on each day by 20 percent and just go until I get that number of reps for whatever time frame that takes. This way I ease into the next segment or phase during the next week and ramp up from there.

I will say this for me at least...... if you've chosen a challenging set of or single bell(s) to use it gets tougher to add more sets each week. The result has been that in some instances I've "settled" for the same volume as my last week's session but got the work done in less time. Either way it's brutal but effective.

I just don't count...seems strange and nonsense but I found peace just grabbing the bell starting the clock and cleaning & pressing for 30 mins without overthinking.

Seems odd but its working for me and I already received some "wow's" from my wife!! which means that something i'm doing right!!

At the moment i'm running a second month of 1.0 with just one 24kg kb.

Great job on finishing! It is challenging and a lot of fun. :)

Personally I like 30 min time frame when its really the only thing I'm doing that day - just hit my 30 minute session, follow it with some yoga/stretching/crawling, and then call it done. I also like having the twenty minute bail out as a a "program minimum" if I'm running short on time that day (e.g. kids wake up sooner than expected) or if I'm feeling tired and run down (e.g. job stress, didn't sleep well, etc.).
Thanks! Yeah, a great but doable challenge and it sure is fun. After reading Pavel's "StrongFirst WOD" article the other day, I decided that the first of my two or three exercises to master will be the kettlebell clean and press.

The last 4 weeks I wanted to keep the timer and variables constant to see how I would improve. But, you're basically varying the timer from day to day. Not a bad idea... Thanks for the tip.

I just don't count...seems strange and nonsense but I found peace just grabbing the bell starting the clock and cleaning & pressing for 30 mins without overthinking.

Seems odd but its working for me and I already received some "wow's" from my wife!! which means that something i'm doing right!!

At the moment i'm running a second month of 1.0 with just one 24kg kb.
There's definitely some utility to that approach. Thanks for the tip!

@KB70 , if it helps. I've been doing each segment in the following way (just finished week 3 of 1.2 yesterday);

I try to do 30 minute sessions for weeks 1,2 and 3 ramping up the volume each day of each week. Basically week three is my heaviest week. In week four I reduce the volume on each day by 20 percent and just go until I get that number of reps for whatever time frame that takes. This way I ease into the next segment or phase during the next week and ramp up from there.

I will say this for me at least...... if you've chosen a challenging set of or single bell(s) to use it gets tougher to add more sets each week. The result has been that in some instances I've "settled" for the same volume as my last week's session but got the work done in less time. Either way it's brutal but effective.
That does help. You're right, it does get harder to add more sets. Last Friday, I was doing 30 second rest periods and my shoulders were cooked after 16 sets! As such, I've been wondering if I'll need a deload. So, you are basically programming in a deload on the last week. That's a good idea! Thanks!

That does help. You're right, it does get harder to add more sets. Last Friday, I was doing 30 second rest periods and my shoulders were cooked after 16 sets! As such, I've been wondering if I'll need a deload. So, you are basically programming in a deload on the last week. That's a good idea! Thanks!
Glad I could help. 30 seconds rests? That's pretty taxing. You may be closer to the 24 kg than you know! Great effort, I am nowhere near that.

Starting the final week of 1.2 today. Can't believe it's been 16 weeks of this already!

I started 1.0 this morning after finishing 3.0 last week (I skipped a RM test and went straight to the heavy day just to see if I could handle sets of 6 with same weight I'd been using for 3.0).

I "handled" them, but the jump to sets of 6 was.....eye-opening. Went from doing sets of 3 every 75s or so to 6’s every ~4:30 (7-sets of 6 plus 1 more at the 30m buzzer for 43 reps total). I was surprised at how hard the cleans were getting..... I think my pressing strength and grip have improved so much that now my..."engine" has become my weak link.

I had visions of working in ~20m of jump rope sprints at the end of the DCP's...... HA!!! I can't IMAGINE getting to the point where that'll seem like a good idea. We'll see.....

Glad I could help. 30 seconds rests? That's pretty taxing. You may be closer to the 24 kg than you know! Great effort, I am nowhere near that.

Starting the final week of 1.2 today. Can't believe it's been 16 weeks of this already!
Yeah man, I definitely felt it the next day. And I think you're right, I may be closer to working with 24 kg than I realize but, I'm trying to avoid the testing mentality and get into the building strength mentality. With that, I started 1.1 today on a 25 minute timer. Got 10 sets of 6 strong reps at the 20 kg. Curious to see how the 8 rep day on Wednesday will go!

You've been doing GIANT for 16 weeks!? Sounds like it's been treating you good! I can't wait to be able to say that and see where my strength gains have risen up to. Good luck on finishing 1.2!

Back
Top Bottom