all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Thursday, trunk day:
OS Reset
3 complexes of: 5 SLDL, farmers walk across basement, 3 split squat, repeat on other side. (grip giving out my the end of each set. SLDLs are challenging, losing balance on the lockout.
Turkish getups each side: 24, 32, 24, 32, 24, 32, 24 (7 reps, but gotta up volume for 1x per week training, I think.)
Towel pullups: 2,3,1,2,3 (made my fingers hurt as always lmao. I can feel my CNS dying from the squeeze.
Crawling, back and forth 2/3 across the basement 3 times.
Forward wasn't too hard, working on fixing hip shift. Backwards sucks, my technique is terrible, arms feel too weak. It will get better, probably start the workout with them.
Torture twist: 4 sets of 3 3second holds per side. As my Professor Steve would say, embrace the suck. I certainly did here.

Friday 4/29/2022: Athlete Day
It's raining and storming outside, so I can't do sprints or do plyos outside.

Sets of 5-8 OA swings per side: 16kg, 3x24kg (I know, why would I ever log this way. Don't care.)
An absolute ton of bounds across the basement. My two-legged bounds were trash, I kept falling into a skipping-bound. Single leg bounds were okay, just need to keep knee/hip power focused forward.
I continued training lots of 2-leg bounds, tried some 50lbs 2H swings to train hip power, was very explosive. But didn't help bounds, only long/verticle jump.
My problem is motor patterns and coordination, started practicing explosive bunny hops and translating that into my athletic-hinge/triple-extension, with standing long jumps, and verticals.
Eventually I got my bounds a fair bit better, started noticing the need to brace the trunk to absorb the landings on bounds to protect the back (that dynamic trunk control, aka tension.)

Also, I did some depth-drops into a left-leg forward lunge (train left side stance a little, as I remembered I like to absorb falls with a lunge.)
My long jump measured about 7 feet, give or take 2 inches. I'm pleased with that.

Finished with a bunch of Gwiz jumps, jumping to a chair from 2+ feet away.

Today was a good session.

Last edited:
Tuesday 5/3/2022: Leg Day:
A bunch of power snatches, working up to a triple with 95lbs. Stopped due to my shoulders not liking it.
A bunch of power cleans, working up to a sluggish/sloppy double with 135lbs (1 fail between them).
Front squats: triples and doubles working up to 165 lbs. I started each set with a dead squat, then stepped back and did 1-3 more reps.
Dropped back to 125lbs and did 5 sets of 5. Rested 45 seconds+ here, not IS, because I ended up changing the rack setup so I didn't have to start with a dead squat, and then I was being a coward and not grinding through the reduced rest period.

Then, 3 circuits of:
12x OL calve raises
8x ab wheel rollouts
10x 70lbs RDLs

Wednesday: Arm Day with wrestlers:
DB Incline bench, superset with OA row:
10x 10lbs
10x20lbs
10x30lbs
7x40lbs (limit... That's 33% more weight than last week at the same reps!)

10,10,7 pushups and inverted pushups

3 rounds of:
10x tricep extensions with 10lbs plates
10x straight-arm lat pulls with 25lbs plate
10x 10lbs dumbell external rotation.

Thursday: Athlete Day
Swings (per side): 5x35lbs, 4x5x50lbs. Working on keeping the head, pelvis, and bell centered rather than twisting during the swing. Made definite progress.

A bunch of double-leg bounds across the room, getting relatively strong in them.
Moved to jumping over 1.5' boxes in the course of my jumps, helping with timing and explosiveness.

My Achilles tendon started hurting, so I stopped the jumps, skipped the single-leg bounds, and just finished with Gwiz jumps, this time adding height by stacking puzzle-mats under the chair. Added 5 inches, my right leg is much stronger/better coordinated than my left. No surprise, I guess, but it annoyed me. Did a few extra reps with the left leg.

Friday: Trunk Day
OS Reset
Crawling across the basement: 4x forward, 3x backward (felt it in my abs and shoulders)
7 Getups: 24, 32, 32, 24, 32, 32, 24
3 sets of: 1 SLDL into farmers walk across the room into 5 split squats, then back.
Did 3 sets of grip switches on my pullup bar, challenged the hell out of my grip, skin and shoulders. Had to swing a little when switching hands, but I'll get stronger.
4 sets of 3 3second holds in the torture twist

Edit: I hated those twists!

Last edited:
Monday: Athlete day (rearranging schedule due to changes in wrestling lifting)
A few sets of light power cleans, then a few box jumps. Honestly didn't do much because I was at the YMCA

Tuesday: Leg Day:
Power snatches, working up to 95 as a comfortable triple. Power cleans as well, just focusing on that technique.
Back squats: sets of 5 up to 5x5x135lbs.

3x20 OL calf raises
4x3x3secs torture twist.

Wednesday: Arm day with the wrestlers:
5 sets of 3R+2L split jerks, last set was 135lbs x 2+2

Superset:
5 sets of 5 in the BB incline bench, began with 115lbs for 5 with was close to limit (misjudged the weight/my ability), went back down and climbed back up to around 105.
4 sets of 5,5,5,4 pullups (last was limit, actually rest-paused.)

Superset: 3x8 incline dumbell curls with 2x10lbs, with 3x8 skull crushers with 2x10lbs.

Thursday: Athlete day (redo, last one wasn't good enough)
3x hill sprints (I walked a little way out, then sprinted all the hills on the way back)- lunges worked hard. Pumping arms helps a lot.
Lots of double-leg bounds, some improvised hurdle hops (hopping over the top of the couch), some single-leg bounds. Feel my shins protesting this time.
Lots of forward Gwiz jumps onto a chair... my posterior chain is weak AF, need more back squats, single-leg squats. The lateral version of the jump is much easier.

20, 17, 10, 20 (tibialis) heel raises against a wall, changing angles each time. Got a nice pump there, need to work those shins.

8,8,7 ab wheel rollouts with my shins on a short stool, glutes tight, so my knees are slightly in front of the stool. Put more leverage/weight on my trunk. These trashed my trunk, the 8th rep of my 3rd set my abs literally gave out and I extended my back, pulling in with my psoas.

3 sets of grip switches on a bar.... forearms have a massive pump now. I definitely feel stronger than last time, glad to do this.

Friday: Leg day 2
a bunch of power cleans, power snatches, snatch pulls with 45-95lbs. Focusing on technique work, the groove.
Squats: triples up to 145lbs (going for speed), then got up to 185 for a clean double (Bodyweight Back Squat!), Though my lower back felt a little sore after. My little brother who was with me said I made it look easy. It wasn't that hard, honestly.
OL elevated calve raises + "bulgarian" single-leg squats (same sets/reps/weight): 10xbodyweight, 3x10x35lbs. The single-leg-squats burned my legs. Glad to add them in though, even as assist/bodybuilding work, as my posterior chain strength is doo-doo.

Saturday: Arm day 2 in the morning:
Haloes: 3x5 per side, 3x5 pushups
OA Kb Jerks: 3x50lbs, 3x70lbs, 3x50lbs
Dips: Moved the box that marks ROM downward, so my dips are deeper. Now I have to use my pecs and shoulders rather than just my tris.
Dips: 8-ish sets of 5, bodyweight. A lot harder than before.
Pullups: (1,2,3)x3 (I got halfway through my assistance circuit before i remembered to do pulls... oops.)\

3 circuits of:
-10x35lbs KB curls
-8xfast pushups, trying to explode, failing.
-Grip switches on the bar

Tuesday: Leg day 1 (5/17/2022)
Power cleans: triples up to 115lbs, then a double and two singles with 135 (bad form). The reps with 135lbs were bad, and my elbows ached, likely due to using my arms on the power clean.
Squat: sets of 5, working up to 5x5x155lbs, last few sets were a challenge ("hardstyle face")
Assist circuit:
3x~12 OL hops, focusing on the calves
3x 15 bodyweight tibialis raises against a wall
3x10 Ab wheel rollouts from the stool like before.
35lbs Single-leg-squats: 4 sets of 10 left, 3 sets of 10 right. (did an extra set on my left because I knew my left was weaker from doing Gwiz jumps, and because I noticed I wasn't working as hard on that side, likely cheating)

5/18/2022 Wednesday: Arm day
5 sets of 2+2 clean+jerk: 95lbs, 95lbs, 115lbs, 115lbs, 135lbs (This made my elbows hurt for the rest of the day and the technique sucked. I'm pulling too much with my biceps.)
5 sets of 5 incline bench: 85lbs, 85lbs, 95lbs, 95lbs, 105lbs (working to find the right grip)
3 sets of 8 incline curls and incline skull-crushers: 10lbs, 15lbs, 15lbs (curls felt good, skull crushers were awkward and frankly painful with full elbow flexion.)
Did 2 getups with 35lbs. Triceps smoked and elbow sore, so I took it easy. Using this as rehab.
Went home, did 5 pullups, then 5 half-pullups. The top position is hurting my elbow.

The elbow injury has to stop. I'm only going to clean pull, if I pull at all, and I'm going to add back in getups, swings, pullups, ect. I need to get proper technique in the clean and the incline bench.

I also noticed I get far less volume on my upper body than my lower body, which is likely why my upper body is so much less strong than my legs. Gotta fix it, do more volume.

5/19/2022: Thursday: Athlete Day
AM:
5 repeats of: 5x50lbs 2H KB swing, superset with 5 shortish hill sprints. (swings felt good, got a decent snap and float, sprints felt a little sluggish with the leg speed.) Good workout, though my T-spine ached when I suitcase carried the bell home. Probably bad swing back mechanics. Need to do more swings and getups.

Later in the day:
Replaced cleans with 50lbs 2H swings for 3-4 sets
Used a 35lbs Kettlebell in place of a bumper plate
Used books instead of mini-hurdles, used box-jumps onto the pool table in place of hurdle-hops. Rather than a depth drop, I hopped slightly right or left. Skipped sleds. This was challenging, exhausting work, but It's making my body smarter. I started to really "get it" when I was doing the side-hops + box jumps.

Friday: Dynamic Leg Day:
Snatch technique progression, did all the drills through the power snatch.
Power snatches- up to 95lbs for 3,3,2
Last set: 5/20/2022 -- 95lbs power snatches

Back squat: triples up to 185s (PR! - 2rm to 3rm. fourth rep was missed, had to hitch too much. Maybe could have made it if I grinded through. I think I'm pushing this lift too far every workout. Time to deload a little, then get after it again with the IS.)
3x10 monster-walks with a big green band, 10 steps right and left. Hips fatigued.

Accessory circuit (home):
3x20 single-leg bunny hops
3x15 tibialis raises
3x6 ab wheel rollouts (first two were on the stool again, third was from standing, rolling onto a tall bench.
3x8x50lbs Single-leg squats. (Once again, the right leg is more fatigued. Weird.)

Saturday: Arm day 2:
8 sets of 5 2x30lbs Dumbell incline bench. My left shoulder kept clicking on the eccentric... gotta find a press that feels right.
Superset with 2 sets of 1 50lbs getups... stopped because I dislike the floor/kettlebell there.
Superset with sets of 10 cable facepulls, around 20-30lbs.

Max pullups: 7 reps. Testing to begin the Red Army Pullup Program.
Assist: Superset:
-10,10,9 diamond pushups
-8,8,7 2x20lbs standing bicep curls.

Need to focus on slow eccentric, find pressing movements that work for me. Explosive pushups might actually be a good idea.

Monday: 5/23/2022
3x5 snatch presses, other brief technique practice
Power snatches: 3x45, 3x65, 3x95, 5+ sets of 2 with 115lbs. Felt sluggish today. Perhaps it's because I didn't spend so much time on those progressions, or I didn't spend so much time on lighter weights. I didn't feel very explosive, but I was going fully airborne on every rep. The bar went too far forward on a few reps and I had to step forward to catch it. My lockout is still soft, should be tighter. Bar path is arcing forward and back again, losing it forward when I fail to pull it back.

Bench Press (sets of 5):
65lbs, 85lbs, 95lbs, 5 sets of 5 with 105lbs (70% of 135). Gonna add weight next workout.

Talked to an old lifter guy after, he's training for a masters powerlifting meet. He was super complimentary, said I'm the only guy at the YMCA doing snatches, apart from him. Said I'm gonna be a killer if I keep it up. He thinks my form is great, Watchnerd will disagree though lmao.

Last edited:
Tuesday: 5/24/2022, leg day
Same snatch progressions as Monday,
Snatch pulls up to 135lbs, spent most time at 115lbs. Mixed in a few snatches, power snatches with 115 and a single full-snatch with 135lbs. My pelvic bone is hurting from humping the bar, because my current grip width requires me to shrug during the second pull for the bar to hit my hips the right way, and I mess it up more often than not. Wider makes my wrists and grip suffer (grip already sliding inward.)

Squat warmup: Goblet squats, back squats up to a single with 165lbs.
165lbs back squats: 5,5,5,5,4 (1 rep away from 5x5... If I tried, I might have got it.) Right knee in slight discomfort.

Accessories:
3x15 tib raises against a wall
3x5 weighted ab-wheel rollout with 16lbs. (Very challenging, made abs hurt, pre-smoked from squatting.
70lbs suitcase carries: twice back and forth across the basement. (Need to add these back in).

Have a bad sore throat from a cold. Hurts to eat/drink/swallow.

Last edited:
Wednesday: 5/25/2022: Arm day with the wrestlers
5 sets of 2+2 in the Split Jerk: 95lbs, 95lbs, 115lbs, 135lbs, 155lbs. (PR)
Incline bench: 4 sets of 5 at 95lbs, 1 top set of 5 at 115lbs. Superset with pullups: 5,5,5,4,3
4x6 20lbs OA kneeling overhead press, superset with 4x6 band pulldowns.
Superset 3x10 10lbs incline curls with 3x10 10lbs incline skull crushers (Too easy, should go heavier.)
3x10 Sots presses per side (very tough, hard to breath during it)

Still have a bad sore throat from a cold. Hurts to eat/drink/swallow. Focusing on drinking enough water, despite pain.

Thursday: Athlete Day: 5/26/2022
Feeling like garbage, so I'm going easy today.
3x5 50lbs swings, 2x5 70lbs swings. (Felt a little awkward. It's been a minute.)
Did the same workout as last Thursday, minus the sprints and with different swing protocol.

Finished with a set of some OA leg extensions with my foot on a chair, followed by 5 ATG split squats per leg.

Still have a bad sore throat from a cold. Hurts to eat/drink/swallow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom