all posts post new thread
Unless I’m reading it wrong, there are typos in the programming PDF. The total reps stated should actually be the per-arm totals (?)

They are. You could think of it as a hybrid between the 2 (or to some extent like AGT S&S). The part that comes after swings/TGU is of course not related to S&S at all (I guess it comes straight out of Strong Endurance).

The programming is concise and clear, but contains enough work for a long time (the SF WOD I guess).
The video production is good, the video content is very well presented.
Overall it’s a very solid offering for people who have no real idea how to train, it brings you through potentially a lifetime of training, entirely based on SF principles and its most succesful ideas

the key here is the “no real idea bit”. Pavel / SF veterans will probably know most of what is presented and be used to the programming (there are no surprises), but I think that is why it is marketed where it is rather than here

They are. You could think of it as a hybrid between the 2 (or to some extent like AGT S&S). The part that comes after swings/TGU is of course not related to S&S at all (I guess it comes straight out of Strong Endurance).

The programming is concise and clear, but contains enough work for a long time (the SF WOD I guess).
The video production is good, the video content is very well presented.
Overall it’s a very solid offering for people who have no real idea how to train, it brings you through potentially a lifetime of training, entirely based on SF principles and its most succesful ideas

the key here is the “no real idea bit”. Pavel / SF veterans will probably know most of what is presented and be used to the programming (there are no surprises), but I think that is why it is marketed where it is rather than here
That last point strikes a chord with me.

Can confirm they are excellent BUT... a lot of BJJ people don't actually like strength training, though and often say "because Marcelo Garcia didn't lift weights, neither should they".
I think you would find Marcelo Garcia to be QUITE strong. Strength training with Strongfirst principles is a great supplement but grappling as a lifestyle is gonna make you incredibly strong.

Who said anything about off days? :)

Off days are not what they're used to be. During my off day yesterday I foolishly agreed to video record my high school boy running up a trail for his Video and Film class. By the time he was satisfied with the short takes, my Garmin Instinct showed I ascended 85 floors!!!!

I think you would find Marcelo Garcia to be QUITE strong. Strength training with Strongfirst principles is a great supplement but grappling as a lifestyle is gonna make you incredibly strong.
Sort of goes back to the old 1% pro versus 99% amateur divide. Amateurs are really where it's at, and I sure think a lot of them could use a strength boost, haha! :)

Clearly, as Mark Rippetoe (I think?) says "world champions are strong".

Unless I’m reading it wrong, there are typos in the programming PDF. The total reps stated should actually be the per-arm totals (?)
I looked at the program and there are no typos.

it was more of a clarification scenario than a typo.

I looked at the program and there are no typos.

it was more of a clarification scenario than a typo.
Page 15 the 2nd and 4th bullet points do not agree with each other

Page 16 3rd and 4th bullet points do not agree with each other

Friends-

When you see 6-12 RM, that's your working KB weight. This is the load, not reps. Follow the reps as written.

Sorry for any confusion!!

Last edited:
Friends-

When you see 6-12 RM, that's your working KB weight. This is the load, not reps. Follow the reps as written.

Sorry for any confusion!!
Sorry to disagree... (not on RM obviously)
Page 16 Plan A bullet 2 says to do reps every 30 seconds, yes?
Bullet 4 says to do this for 30 mins.
In 30 mins there are 60 30-second periods, hence 60 sets (30 per arm). But bullet 4 says 15 sets per arm

so either the “every 30 seconds” instruction is wrong, or the 15 per arm is wrong

similar thing on the next page

So that's what they are! I've been wondering ever since I got my ETK book.

I've been using prAna Zion pants for the last couple of years.
I think I got a pair of the last batch of SF-branded 5.11 Tactical pants sold in the site. I'm definitely looking into these, since I can't get them anymore (and I got fat).

In my own case, my kettlebelling is to complement my martial arts in a very different way. I don't think martial arts is enough exercise, nor is it healthily balanced exercise. Martial arts training is for winning at martial arts and not for a strong physique, nor good posture. A way to understand this is to consider that shooting a rifle is a martial art, but where is the exercise?
Funny thing, I also teach basic handgun, and for one student we used some of the same principles with kettlebell training. Essentially we were working on pistol qual and S&S.

Funny thing, I also teach basic handgun, and for one student we used some of the same principles with kettlebell training. Essentially we were working on pistol qual and S&S.

I sure could've benefited from a few weeks of kettlebell swings back in 1991. After the Desert Storm ceasefire, we came across an abandoned position with ammo and assorted weapons including a 0.50-caliber. We decided to spend an afternoon having fun in the middle of the desert. The darn 0.50-cal trigger was too stiff for me to push down with my thumbs! I was demoted to AK-47 detail.

Back
Top Bottom