all posts post new thread
Anyone still interested they still have a 42% off sale code on the website.

I'm looking to build a little more muscle right now, should I go this route or concentrate on the Giant?

This is not a muscle-building protocol. They expressly cut reps in order to minimize muscle growth for weight-class sports. You might still grow, but that is not the program's intent.
So I'll be best served with the Giant?

At the moment I'm running the Giant (a bit more hypertrophy for the holiday). After the holiday I plan to get back to something more strength/power based. Would this be a good program for strenght? Knowing I don't compete in BJJ (or any other sport for that matter), it's is pure to feel better and be stronger in what life throws at me. Also important to add that I only have time to train 3 times a week. In the past I did S&S and can complete it with 24kg any day of the week. I can add some sets with a 32kg, but not yet all sets. To be honest I stoped S&S because I felt like I wasn't progressing at an optimal pace because I could only get in 3 sessions a week. That's why I changed to a 3 day a week plan like the Giant.

At the moment I'm running the Giant (a bit more hypertrophy for the holiday). After the holiday I plan to get back to something more strength/power based. Would this be a good program for strenght? Knowing I don't compete in BJJ (or any other sport for that matter), it's is pure to feel better and be stronger in what life throws at me. Also important to add that I only have time to train 3 times a week. In the past I did S&S and can complete it with 24kg any day of the week. I can add some sets with a 32kg, but not yet all sets. To be honest I stoped S&S because I felt like I wasn't progressing at an optimal pace because I could only get in 3 sessions a week. That's why I changed to a 3 day a week plan like the Giant.
Sounds like it.
This article explains it better than I could:

"Carryover from power to strength is well documented. Of course, if you want to maximize your “grinding” strength, you will need to add “grinds” to your training. The given plan leaves you plenty of energy and time to do it."

And from the comments on how to add grinds:
Q: "I’m wondering how you would go about adding grinds (kb mp, front squats, pull ups)? The same day, after c+J? The day before or the day after c+J? "
A: "Heavy “grinds” are best done the day before; hypertrophy work the day after A+A."
So you could add 1-2 days of grinds - or maybe add a some GTG work.

Edit: I was assuming that you wanted to run the LCCJ plan.
For the SW + GU plan, maybe ask Mike Torres: Minimalist Kettlebell Training for Maximal Returns in BJJ | StrongFirst

Hi everyone - my article was just posted about this set. Check it out!

Thanks for the great article Mike.

I appreciated your mindset on being a white belt again, as I am guilty of jumping the queue and moving to the advanced material.

I will give some thought to running the beginner/intermediate program again.

Thanks for the motivation.

Just out of curiosity: If you wanted to train the snatch, would you do it on the "swing plan" but with a different speed day, or on the "C&J plan" but with more reps and a different Plan B?

Just out of curiosity: If you wanted to train the snatch, would you do it on the "swing plan" but with a different speed day, or on the "C&J plan" but with more reps and a different Plan B?
Assuming this is a good idea to swap the movement, I think the snatch fits the intention of the swing here better. But the weight targets would all come down, both in weight and time.

Back off the snatch weights, and increase the rest ... it might work, if your shoulders are good for it.

I would need to stretch out the rests to make the intervals work for what I'm seeing in the swing plan.

Might not be a good balance of time to me. But if I doubled up the rest, and took down the swing weights down by 8kg or so, I might be able to make it work.

Yes, I totally agree with you that the swing plan would fit better. But I'm not sure about the reduction in weight and time. I would think that the test to determine the correct swing bell could also be used for snatch (with snatch as the movement, of course). And as for the rest, 5 reps otm and using the talk test should be fine. Or why do you think more rest is needed?

I believe a mix of the Swing and LCCJ plan could work well.

First 5reps OTM from the Swing plan (but up to 30 minutes), and then switching to plan B of LCCJ with 3reps OT30, building up from there.

For the easy day of the OTM phase I would either do sets of 3 for the same time, or cut the sets to 60%.

I like that approach, it does sound very reasonable! But why expanding the max time to 30min?

I like that approach, it does sound very reasonable! But why expanding the max time to 30min?
Assuming 3x per week and no TGUs after. Thinking about it you could also do a HLM structure of 100%, 60%, 80%.
(Or sets of 5, 3, 4 for the same length).

Ah yes, if you leave out the TGUs, it makes sense to increase the time. But I'm curious if that maximum time would be achievable with the plan, or if you'd always end up increasing the bell size because progress stalls beforehand. For the HLM approach, that is also very interesting (and sounds like The Giant), but would be a very different approach to the original program.

Yes, I totally agree with you that the swing plan would fit better. But I'm not sure about the reduction in weight and time. I would think that the test to determine the correct swing bell could also be used for snatch (with snatch as the movement, of course). And as for the rest, 5 reps otm and using the talk test should be fine. Or why do you think more rest is needed?
I suppose I'm worried about two things .

The percent bodyweight goals would have to be reeled in. Reduce the weights a bit.

Also, depending on the conditioning level my worry may only be a temporary issue with upgrading your heavy days. the heavy snatch day might be a little much for otm timing. I say as long as your snatching is recovering and the reps are powerful, it should work.

But I know snatches take a lot out of me . And to preserve power , I like my snatches to be at 90s intervals. 45s alternating arms. It's a good bit of loading for me. I wouldn't have the same concern with swings.

Last edited:
Ah yes, if you leave out the TGUs, it makes sense to increase the time. But I'm curious if that maximum time would be achievable with the plan, or if you'd always end up increasing the bell size because progress stalls beforehand. For the HLM approach, that is also very interesting (and sounds like The Giant), but would be a very different approach to the original program.
Yeah, I guess you would have to figure some things out along the way. But if you top out at 20 minutes, that should be fine, too!
If you go for 30 or even 40 minutes you would be more biased towards endurance (of power and strength), and when switching after reaching 20 minutes you would be more biased towards power and strength. Either way should be fine.

Thinking about it, replacing the 2H Swings with a 60% day would probably suffice - and then repeating the "heavy" day volume.

This is also based on Pavel's answer to a comment on the article, asking if you could run the LCCJ plan 3x per week:
Pavel said:
Yes to 3 days a week if you do not have excessive demands elsewhere (e.g., BJJ practice). Simply make the middle day easier, 60-80% duration of the first day.

Last edited:
Hello
I purchased this product. I am not a fighter, I train principally for health and strength, so I am thinking to run plan A three days a week. Any thoughts? Anyone is running this program with higher frequency instead of the raccomended two days a week?
Thanks

Hello
I purchased this product. I am not a fighter, I train principally for health and strength, so I am thinking to run plan A three days a week. Any thoughts? Anyone is running this program with higher frequency instead of the raccomended two days a week?
Thanks
From the Q&A at the end of this article about Plan A: The Best All-Around Training Method EVER | StrongFirst

"Pavel, thank you for this wonderful program.
I just finished my first week of Plan A and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
My question: I love this routine so far and I am thinking of adding another day (training 3x a week instead of 2x a week) but I am wondering if it would it be more beneficial for GPP to just add a day (or 2) of heavy swings instead to have some of the benefits that Swings provide.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom with the world!
Johnnie
  • c5e5fa456da89ab13ed0a8814d0ea3a0
    Pavel Tsatsouline says:
    March 1, 2022 at 8:33 pm
    Johnnie, go ahead and add a third day. Make it a “light” one."

Back
Top Bottom